Ankle injury - speed up rehab

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Quick version - rolled my ankle backpacking Saturday night...my right foot rolled under towards my left & I hit the ground... There's a lot of stiffness & soreness about halfway up my calf, around the circumference of the leg. The ankle feels a little inflamed, but otherwise ok. No bruising, but there is some redness running up my heel. I've been keeping it elevated, icing it throughout the day, & wrapping it up when I need to drive or move around very much.

Any tips for speeding up the healing process here?

I had a pretty intense leg workout the day before. Would I be incorrect to suspect that this might be related?

My dilemma is that I have a performance booked for this coming Saturday & really don't want to cancel, but it looks like my best option at this point.

Thanks everyone -

FubarFit

Awards
Hey do you follow football. The New England Patriots tight end Gronkowski had a similair injury two weeks before the superbowl I believe it was a high ankle sprain. He played in the superbowl but even with all the medical attention, shots and new cleats was not nearly as effective. They can take a month to recover from. I am not a doctor but theres my 2 cents. I would just rest it like you are and maybe go to the doc if it doesn't get better.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Thanks man -

That's what I was afraid of... I'll keep going with rest & ice.

It really sucks.....

So should I be completely resting or can I get some upper body work in? (working out while still babying my foot)

FubarFit

Awards
Yea you could do upper body probably try going to a walk in clinic or somewhere cheap they might give you a brace for it.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Geoforce - Thanks for the link.

I've been hearing more about this type of approach. I think, imho, it makes more sense than waiting around doing nothing.

MooseLoRoose

MooseLoRoose

Awards
Yeah totally agree with Geoforce... Main reason is the ankle is a mobile joint, and needs to stay moblie. Some very light calf stretches and light ankle mobility drills. (Look them up on Google type in Mike Boyle mobility drills he's a very good Strength & Cond coach for BC hockey team. Def keep using the R.I.C.E method, along with advil or aleve for the inflammation.

The Storm16

Awards
Yeah totally agree with Geoforce... Main reason is the ankle is a mobile joint, and needs to stay moblie. Some very light calf stretches and light ankle mobility drills. (Look them up on Google type in Mike Boyle mobility drills he's a very good Strength & Cond coach for BC hockey team. Def keep using the R.I.C.E method, along with advil or aleve for the inflammation.
I actually spent a while training with Mike and these guys are def right that you need to start moving. That said, if you get acute pain when you try to move your ankle, that's bad.

Once some of the swelling has gone down and it's not as painful to move simple work on moving your foot side to side or up and down. You can pretend to draw the alphabet with your toes etc.( all of this is with your foot hanging off the ground FYI)

Once you can put weight on it, then you start doing ankle mobility etc. be sure to heat before you stretch it/do range of motion, and ice after

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Geoforce - Thanks for the link.

I've been hearing more about this type of approach. I think, imho, it makes more sense than waiting around doing nothing.
I know for me I've always had better luck the quicker I could get moving on these type of injuries as opposed to not moving it at all.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Awesome! Thanks guys! Yeah - the mobility stretches have been a big help.

I'm a little concerned about reinjuring myself though. I have a performance Saturday that a just couldn't cancel & hoping that a good ankle tape job might just get me thru it. Trying to practice, keeping the ankle in mind, but I've noticed certain movements can still be rather cringe-inducing....

I also just started taking Cissus a few days ago - maybe it's just placebo effect, or coincidence that it's healing up, but it seems to be really awesome. I just might have to log it coming up, as I'm ending an Anabeta+Erase run right now & will be down to only multi-V, creatine, & protein starting next week.