Bench & Dip Question

that_dc5

Awards
Ok so after some reading I've seem to see different opinions on these topics.

First is bench pressing. Where do you guys place your arms while benching to maximize chest use while minimizing potential shoulder injury/strain? I'm use to benching with my arms straight out, but I've been reading that you guys put your arms by your side, pretty much up against your lats while benching.

Next is for dips. For more chest involvement and less triceps, where do you place your arms? And also how far do you lean your body forward if at all?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
bench, like a powerlifter.

dips, lean forward as far as you can and go wide.

The Storm16

Awards
Ok so after some reading I've seem to see different opinions on these topics.

First is bench pressing. Where do you guys place your arms while benching to maximize chest use while minimizing potential shoulder injury/strain? I'm use to benching with my arms straight out, but I've been reading that you guys put your arms by your side, pretty much up against your lats while benching.

Next is for dips. For more chest involvement and less triceps, where do you place your arms? And also how far do you lean your body forward if at all?
I usually have my elbows at 45 degrees to my body. If arms straight out at shoulder height is 90 and flat at your side is 0, 45 is a good place to be for most ppl. It depends a lot on what feels good for you. Idt neck presses (elbows flared out) is a good way to go but I have seen it done. As for grips--play around with them. Think of it as a mini conjugate method. Work some wide some medium etc and see what feels best. Close grip will be more tricep while wider is more chest and shoulder. Using your anterior delts isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Bench involves a lot of anterior delt. To avoid shoulder issues use dumbbells, you can angle your hands and press how it's most comfortable for you-barbells don't exactly conform to individual proportions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Admin Articles 0
Admin Articles 5
Training Forum 32
Training Forum 16
Pleonastic Training Forum 11