Help me find a topic for my presentation (exercise phys related)

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
I have do a presentation sorta as the finally of my clinical exercise physiology internship. i work in a hospital setting and my presentation will be evaluated by exercise physiologists but there may also be cardiologists and such present so i dont want to sound like an idiot lol. the presentation has to be on something relatively new and cutting-edge to the field of cardiology/cardiac rehab/ or stress testing. one example they gave me that was used back a few years ago was drug-eluding stents, back when those were still new. otherwise it can be on something like new workouts specifically designed for heart patients, new cardiac rehab techniques, new cardiac procedures (such as caths, ablations, open hearts, CABGs, pacemaker-related, ect), new or different stress testing modalities, new imaging techniques and things of that nature. i have done tons of research but cant really find anything new and or cutting edge.... so anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance:)

bboyflash

Awards
IF possibly...I know its not new but rarely talked about...I find it intresting anyways

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
whats IF?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not sure what IF has to do with cardiac rehab.

Have you looked into arterial stiffness response to RESISTANCE training. Arterial stiffness is a newer measure of cardiac risk, and there are only a few studies that have looked at the effects of resistance training on arterial stiffness.

One thing that is quite cutting edge is the use of stem cells to regrow mycardiocytes. This is a quite edgy topic.

Have you ever been to the life sciences portal pages? If not, you're in for a treat. They post abstracts as they are published that relate to cardiovascular and ischemia research.

http://www.ischemic.net/

Another thing that is gaining more and more research is c-reactive protein and its correlation to hear disease. You should find a lot about that in the journal of atherosclerosis and thrombosis.

Br

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would do a presentation on this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2929871/?tool=pubmed

And then propose this as an alternative

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20880415

But thats only because I would love to see the look on the face of the cardiologist but not sure how relevant it would be for a exercise physiology class

Or this could be fun, you can discuss the relationship between testosterone replacement therapy and CVD

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12700179

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15901202

Im sure I can dig up research on strength training and lipoprotein-lipid profiles or general overall cardiovascular health if you like. They always seem to solely suggest walking as exercise and never suggest strength training (at my hospital at least) and I think it would be cool to see an argument made in support of strength training for improved cardiovascular fitness

whitemaverick

Awards
I graduate with my degree in exercise science in two weeks and am going for my masters this coming fall. We have been discussing getting cardiac patients up to ambulate and do some exercises right after surgery vs waiting. I'm not sure if you would want to do something along those lines.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
I graduate with my degree in exercise science in two weeks and am going for my masters this coming fall. We have been discussing getting cardiac patients up to ambulate and do some exercises right after surgery vs waiting. I'm not sure if you would want to do something along those lines.
thanks dude. we call this phase one cardiac rehab, its pretty standard procedure in many places. its typically done by the RNs and not the EPs nowadays. this is, as you mentioned, a vital time period and really helps to get rehabilitation moving along though

oh and i will also graduate in two weeks:) CONGRATS dude!!

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
thanks everyone so far for the help and all the links. i have looked into all of them. i think im gonna go with GW 1516. i keep reading about it on the forums and it seems to fit many of the areas that my presentation is supposed to cover

whitemaverick

Awards
thanks dude. we call this phase one cardiac rehab, its pretty standard procedure in many places. its typically done by the RNs and not the EPs nowadays. this is, as you mentioned, a vital time period and really helps to get rehabilitation moving along though

oh and i will also graduate in two weeks:) CONGRATS dude!!
Congrats to you too! I know they are really trying to push for more EP's than nurses here around the Pitt. area.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Where are you guys graduating from?

I'm finishing up my PhD in exercise physiology this summer (Springfield College, MA), and my younger sister is graduating from Coastal Carolina with a degree in ex sci this may. Good to see so many people entering the field.

Br

whitemaverick

Awards
Indiana University of Pennsylvania for my B.S. and M.S. I am looking into a PhD from possibly South Carolina.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Indiana University of Pennsylvania for my B.S. and M.S. I am looking into a PhD from possibly South Carolina.
USC (if i remember correctly) has a really good clinical exercise physiology program. Congrats, and good luck.

Br