Trying to gain miscle mass

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
Can someone please help me out with a work out routine I'm trying to gain muscle mass and get bigger but I'm not seeing any result
I weight about 152
About 6 foot
And skinny
I want to weight about 170 my boss says I have the body type to do it but I cant find a workout to help me get my size up I can bench 205 I got it up the other I feel like I'm getting stronger but not bigger in size someone please help me

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
5x5

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
google 5x5 routines

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
So what should I do tho for chest back bi and tri shoulders and legs

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
core movements, compounds....squats, bench, press, deads, rows, etc....you wont/dont need much isolated bi and tri movements

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
Will that just come with the core movements

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look into either Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe or a 5x5 program like Strong Lifts. Personnaly I thing Starting Strength is where you should begin with.

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
But I know I'm strong and can do a lot of weight but no size

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
strength will come before size....5x5 is a basic beginner routine, it covers all the basics......

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
Don't worry about isolation exercises . Size is built from core exercises. Plus secondary muscle groups will get plenty of work. You can crush your biceps on back day just by using varied grips for example .

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
My work contains 3 workouts each muscle and 3 to 4 sets of 8 reps and I do 2 muscles a day witch is back and bye chest and try and then I do legs and shoulders

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
My work contains 3 workouts each muscle and 3 to 4 sets of 8 reps and I do 2 muscles a day witch is back and bye chest and try and then I do legs and shoulders
hmmmm...not familiar with those particular muscles

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
lol....try out the strong lifts 5x5 for a few weeks, trust me it works great...

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
Okay I will thank you a lot I appreciate it what should I do tho how many works out per muscle

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
google strong lifts 5x5 and it gives you the training breakdown

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
5x5 string lifts are only 3 workouts ..? Is that what it is

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
no! there is 2 workouts that you alternate every other training day....squats being done every workout....

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
Yeah it says squats bench barbell row
Then it says squats overhead press and dead lifts and it says to only do one set of 5 dead lifts

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
correct....5x5 5 sets 5 reps...

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
Okay and this is a good workout you where saying and I do this every other day

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i believe its 3 times a week, once youve outgrown the stronglifts you can start the madcow 5x5

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
Okay thank you and about how Many weeks should I do this work out for

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
id give it a good 6-8 weeks and check progress

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Honestly enough I never tried the 5x5.

I'm thinking of trying it to help gain mass & build up some strength. Hopefully the intense work outs will aid in some fat loss...
I've been splits for a while, but ready to change it up.
Another option he could do is a split with squats, deads, military press and back rows built into his program as well....

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Honestly enough I never tried the 5x5.

I'm thinking of trying it to help gain mass & build up some strength. Hopefully the intense work outs will aid in some fat loss...
I've been splits for a while, but ready to change it up.
Another option he could do is a split with squats, deads, military press and back rows built into his program as well....
thats one of the routines pointed out in strong lifts 5x5.....circuit training routines help with fatloss as well

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
Yeah I'm not fat and I'm trying to gain muscle and everything so I trying to gain weight to

themondtster

themondtster

Awards
Can someone please help me out with a work out routine I'm trying to gain muscle mass and get bigger but I'm not seeing any result
I weight about 152
About 6 foot
And skinny
I want to weight about 170 my boss says I have the body type to do it but I cant find a workout to help me get my size up I can bench 205 I got it up the other I feel like I'm getting stronger but not bigger in size someone please help me
Look up SL5*5 on stronglifts.com. Run it for atleast 10weeks. Start light and follow it strictly. Work on proper form because later as you get more advanced and lift heavier it will help. After that you can either run it again or move on to something more advanced. Weilders 5/3/1 is a great one to move onto. After all that you and you've gained some strength and size you can cycle between strength and volume(GVT). The GVT is for later but will help pack on some mass.

The main thing you need to remember is you have to eat. Try to eat clean...mostly lean meats and vegs,eggs,fruits,and natty peanut butter. Each week increase your diet by 500 cals till you find the sweet spot. Increase cals too fast you might pack on a little fat at first.

Read,learn and listen. It won't happen overnight so be patient and put in hard work.

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
Thank you I appreciate it and I will talk to my boss and see what he says cause he helps me out too

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i see some good recommendations on simple laid out programs. but the length of time to run them is short by about 6-12 months. someone this new does not need to be switching around workouts every weeks or months. they will never lift hard enough with doing that.

IMO even advanced lifters need to follow programs for 6-12 months to see optimal results. this whole program ADD is part of why people dont see results.

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
i see some good recommendations on simple laid out programs. but the length of time to run them is short by about 6-12 months. someone this new does not need to be switching around workouts every weeks or months. they will never lift hard enough with doing that.

IMO even advanced lifters need to follow programs for 6-12 months to see optimal results. this whole program ADD is part of why people dont see results.
What do you think I should do as a work out

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

He can simply rinse and repeat with the program. They are not necessarily to be done once and walked away from. For example usually a 5x5 program will be based off a persons 1RM or the likes with weekly progression. At the end of of the program you can revaluation your maxes then repeat with percentages based off of your new standard. Most of these programs have that "change" in program to "keep your body guessing" inherently built in. eg would be stepping up percentage weekly, Deload weeks etc. Also, after 2 or so months changing from. 3 day a wk program like starting strength or SL to say a 4 day a wk program that is still following the same style programming like to another 5x5 is fine and not the same as jumping from one style to a completely dif style.

Otherwise, yeah I see your point and agree in general.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
What do you think I should do as a work out
5/3/1 with the big but boring accessory work and lots and lots of food. follow the program exactly as written for 6 months and come back and tell us how you did.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
And you think that's better then 5x5
5x5 is great. 5/3/1 with the big but boring accessory work is awesome! with enough food it will pack on size as well as plenty of strength. below is a link that gives a decent explanation of the program. the e-book is worth far more than the price tag.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/hardcore-look-at-jim-wendlers-5-3-1-powerlifting-system.html

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?pid=2976
thats the book

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And you think that's better then 5x5
A lot off same concepts. The two always are discussed in the same conversations if that makes sense.

littleman6

littleman6

Awards
Yeah I understand which do you think I should work on first ...?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I understand which do you think I should work on first ...?
Personally I think you should pick up Starting Strength and run with that for a good while. It's great in truly teaching the basics of the barbell with strength and mass building compound exercises. When you have progressed well with it you should be able to look at other programs like 5x5, 5/3/1 etc and know which one you want to move up to. Also, be sure to eat for mass as well.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I may have starting strength in PDF that I can send you. If you want, pm me your email and I'll send it to you. I just won't be able to send it till like monday when I get back home.