barbell benched 280 and 290 for 4 reps PR (video inside) - AnabolicMinds.com

barbell benched 280 and 290 for 4 reps PR (video inside)

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

barbell benched 280 and 290 for 4 reps PR (video inside)

felt good today, warmed up with the bar and 135, then started at 225 for 4 reps, then 280 and 290 for 4 reps and finally 300 for 1 rep and 2 assisted reps. feeling stronger

April 16, 2012 chest day (barbell bench press) - YouTube

heres a video of the last time i did flat bench, only got 275 for 4 and 305 for 1, hopefully you can see the strength gains

march 26,2012 chest day (barbell bench press) - YouTube

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.

That's awesome man. Good Job! my 1rm is right at 285 right now. Getting closer to 300 every workout.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.

Good job, keep up the hard work.
    Orbit Nutrition Representative

http://www.orbitnutrition.com
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.

Some tips:
    Learn to do a power arch for power days--pros do them for a reason
    Don't be afraid to do negatives. Get that 305, do your 1 rep and then do 3+ negatives with a good spotter. This will help you break your barriers.

I also always recommend dips

5. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.

I used to love dips! but since my two shoulder surgeries It's taken me a while to get back to full body weight dips. I'm about to start hangin weight again too.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

If I was you I'd be a little more careful on your elbow placement during the up phase of the lift. It appears to me your elbows are flaring outward instead of running parallel to your body. This is harder on your shoulders. I would also take the advice above on finding a good tight, arch in your back and squeezing the upper back muscles. You have a lot of potential to be a big bench presser with just a little work on form and technique.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mhsattack16 View Post
    That's awesome man. Good Job! my 1rm is right at 285 right now. Getting closer to 300 every workout.
    thanks man! nice dude you will get there
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kBrown View Post
    Good job, keep up the hard work.
    thanks bro!
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Some tips:
    Learn to do a power arch for power days--pros do them for a reason
    Don't be afraid to do negatives. Get that 305, do your 1 rep and then do 3+ negatives with a good spotter. This will help you break your barriers.

I also always recommend dips
    I'm trying to learn the power form more better, it was definitely an improvement. actually go to my channel i have a video of doing 315 for negatives i love doing them. i actually do weighted dips at the end of my workout the most I've gotten was 90lb dumbbell between my legs, i stuck with 8 reps each set and i got up to 7 reps for 90 lbs.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    If I was you I'd be a little more careful on your elbow placement during the up phase of the lift. It appears to me your elbows are flaring outward instead of running parallel to your body. This is harder on your shoulders. I would also take the advice above on finding a good tight, arch in your back and squeezing the upper back muscles. You have a lot of potential to be a big bench presser with just a little work on form and technique.
    thanks man i know what you mean. i tried to find that form too, its so tough haha i was really trying to find a good arch and get that technique down, i will though I'm gonna try
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.

I feel you, getting the form down is very difficult--especially without a coach. I myself am still struggling with it (and my bench has been as high as 425lbs).
    As far as elbows flaring out, well this can put you at risk for injury because of added strain to the shoulders. However, if you have monster shoulders I wouldn't worry about it too much... But, if you shoulders aren't two beasts that can push 225lbs + then I would definitely be mindful, especially as you lift heavier weight.

As for dips, they are great strength builders, try increasing the weight a bit each week (using plates) and keeping your reps between 4-6. When you are closer to six increase the weight, when you are around 4-5 its just right. These are great strength builders for shoulders and triceps, plus they work the chest.

12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

I feel you, getting the form down is very difficult--especially without a coach. I myself am still struggling with it (and my bench has been as high as 425lbs).
    As far as elbows flaring out, well this can put you at risk for injury because of added strain to the shoulders. However, if you have monster shoulders I wouldn't worry about it too much... But, if you shoulders aren't two beasts that can push 225lbs + then I would definitely be mindful, especially as you lift heavier weight.

As for dips, they are great strength builders, try increasing the weight a bit each week (using plates) and keeping your reps between 4-6. When you are closer to six increase the weight, when you are around 4-5 its just right. These are great strength builders for shoulders and triceps, plus they work the chest.
    i hear ya dude, I'm trying haha. i have broad shoulders, my genetics as you can see in my photos my shoulders are pretty big, people tell me its my best body part.

i did with dips, with my training i upon the weight each session, for example my chest workouts were simple, first exercise either incline or flat barbell bench with 4-7 sets sticking with 3-5 reps, adding weight each set. then second exercise would be either flat or incline dumbbell press depending on what was my first exercise, if i did incline first, it would be dumbbell flat, and i would use 100s and go 5 sets of 8 reps, each set was tough but i can go with it, then 3rd exercise would be a flat or incline flys again adding weight, keeping it heavy, then finally dips, and with dips one week i went with 80lbs for 8 reps, then the 90s next week for 8, all about strength training love it!
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.

Well done man. Keep up the hard work.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Est1969 View Post
    Well done man. Keep up the hard work.

thanks bro (: subscribe to see more!

haha i just remembered when i was 135 i couldn't even barbell bench 95lbs, it was so heavy, i thought that was a lot of weight, oh the good memories.
  15. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Big ups to you! Great job
  16. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

If your looking for improve form for power purposes watch: so you think you can bench bt elite fts
    Also if your working for a 1rm id personally like to see you warm up like
    45x3-5 sets of 5, dont move up until it feels good.
    95x3-5 sets of 5
    135x5
    185x3-5
    225x3
    275x1
    305x1
    Prx1
    Also do not do negatives, louie simmons and almost all other top level powerlifters dont recommend them bc of the risk of injuries and increase of doms from them. They personally press to boards to overload the movement at different heights. It says in the westside book of methods to not do negatives.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    If your looking for improve form for power purposes watch: so you think you can bench bt elite fts
    Also if your working for a 1rm id personally like to see you warm up like
    45x3-5 sets of 5, dont move up until it feels good.
    95x3-5 sets of 5
    135x5
    185x3-5
    225x3

275x1
    305x1
    Prx1
    Also do not do negatives, louie simmons and almost all other top level powerlifters dont recommend them bc of the risk of injuries and increase of doms from them. They personally press to boards to overload the movement at different heights. It says in the westside book of methods to not do negatives.
    already watched it, I learn better as i go, videos don't seem to ever help i just have to go with it and learn that way, I'm getting better. I'm training for a bit of power/ hypertrophy. when i do train for prs what I've done was warm up with the bar for 2-4 sets, then move to 135 for a few, then move to 225 for just 1 or 2, then move to my big number.

very interesting man! thanks for letting me know! I've never tried board presses before but I've always wanted to try them out! i hear they help out for the lockout?
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    Big ups to you! Great job
    thank you
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by danthamansky View Post
    already watched it, I learn better as i go, videos don't seem to ever help i just have to go with it and learn that way, I'm getting better. I'm training for a bit of power/ hypertrophy. when i do train for prs what I've done was warm up with the bar for 2-4 sets, then move to 135 for a few, then move to 225 for just 1 or 2, then move to my big number.

very interesting man! thanks for letting me know! I've never tried board presses before but I've always wanted to try them out! i hear they help out for the lockout?
    The type of warm-up i posted if an example of what dave tate or others would suggest.
    Board presses help overload the movement and allow you to address different sticking points.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    The type of warm-up i posted if an example of what dave tate or others would suggest.
    Board presses help overload the movement and allow you to address different sticking points.
    ah i see , I'm definitely gonna try them out thanks a lot man! really appreciate it ((:
  21. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mhsattack16 View Post
    I used to love dips! but since my two shoulder surgeries It's taken me a while to get back to full body weight dips. I'm about to start hangin weight again too.
    they actually recommend cutting dips out completed after shoulder surgery. how long did it take to get your bench and press strength back to normal after surgery?
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    they actually recommend cutting dips out completed after shoulder surgery. how long did it take to get your bench and press strength back to normal after surgery?

I was benching in the 200's again right around 3 months post op.
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    Agreed. Be careful after surgery with dips.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  150 lbs.

A lot of good info here, I guess I need to readjust my arm position while benching.

Similar Forum Threads

1. squated 365 for 3 reps ( workout video link inside)
    By danthamansky in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 07:02 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 11:56 AM
  3. incline barbell bench 225lbs for 7 reps + 2 forced reps
    By danthamansky in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM
  4. One pro anabolic kit with a box of 1ad? AMS reps/gurus inside?
    By AaronJP1 in forum Advanced Muscle Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 07:49 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2006, 02:33 PM