Critique my routine

F

FubarFit

Awards
Hey I was hoping to get some advice on my weekly routine I am not sure about the workload being quite right. My goals are always to gain lean body mass I want to be able to only make minor changes in my routine and obviously my diet to go from bulking to cutting. I plan to have a full body workout monday with low to moderate intensity and then work more specific muscle groups the other days in the week with one day for cardio.

Monday Full body
Tuesday HIIT
Wednesday BackBis Fore arms Core
Thursday Rest
Friday Legs Core
Saturday Chest Trisshoulders
Sunday Rest

20-24 sets for bigger12-15 for smaller

Monday-Full body
Low weight high reps 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
Bench
Curl
Row
Hang Clean and Press
Lunge Squats
Abs- Decline oblique sit ups
Crunches
Leg Raise
Oblique crunch 45 pounds

Tuesday- HIIT

Weeks 1-2 30 seconds jog 30 seconds sprint (repeat 4 timesfor 5 minutes total)
Weeks 3-4 30 seconds jog 30 seconds sprint (repeat 6 times 7mins total)
Weeks 5-6 30 seconds jog 30 seconds sprint (repeat 8 times 9mins total)
Weeks 7-8 30 seconds jog 30 seconds sprint (repeat 10 times11 mins total)

Wednesday- Back Bis Forearms Abs
Moderate Heavy weight 4 sets 6-8 reps
Deadlift
T bar row
DB rows
Wide grip pull ups or lat pull downs
Preacher curls
Dumbbell curls
Hammer curls or reverse curls
Fore arm curls
Abs

Friday –Legs
Moderate heavy 5 sets 6-8 reps
Squats
Leg Press
Leg Extension
Hamstring extension
Calf raise
Abs

Saturday- Chest shoulder tris
Moderate Heavy 4 sets 6-8 reps
Bench Press
Incline Press
Dips
Peck deck
Hang clean Press
Dumbbell Press

Lateral Raises
Tricep extensions

I would appreciate any insight you have my major areas for concern are the number of reps I have laid out since I heard 5 sets for the main lifts might help I plan to do that but should I ramp the weight and add weight after each set for the best results?

F

FubarFit

Awards
I know that was a lot but its pretty straight forward just what excercises I do on certain days. If anyone has any ideas on what my diet should look like for the cardio day...I want to avoid catabolism as mich as possibe but burn fat with hiit. Thinking about carb cycleing.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Your order of exercises, especially monday is off. Start big and explosive (hang clean) and move to small (curls).

There's far more to your core than just spinal and hip flexion (i.e.: your ab work). In fact, over working these can compromise your gains, especially in weight lifting.

Br

F

FubarFit

Awards
Your order of exercises, especially monday is off. Start big and explosive (hang clean) and move to small (curls).

There's far more to your core than just spinal and hip flexion (i.e.: your ab work). In fact, over working these can compromise your gains, especially in weight lifting.

Br
Thanks I will make sure to change the order and look into different core workouts and probably use two different workouts for different days of the week. I'm not really sure at the moment what else there is besides planking which is too easy in my opinion.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Check out the Pavel Plank.

Bird dogs, super dogs, dying bugs, reaching planks, side planks, rotation, anti rotation are some good ones to look up.

Br

T

The Storm16

Awards
Hey I was hoping to get some advice on my weekly routine I am not sure about the workload being quite right. My goals are always to gain lean body mass I want to be able to only make minor changes in my routine and obviously my diet to go from bulking to cutting. I plan to have a full body workout monday with low to moderate intensity and then work more specific muscle groups the other days in the week with one day for cardio.

Monday Full body
Tuesday HIIT
Wednesday BackBis Fore arms Core
Thursday Rest
Friday Legs Core
Saturday Chest Trisshoulders
Sunday Rest

20-24 sets for bigger12-15 for smaller

Monday-Full body
Low weight high reps 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
Bench
Curl
Row
Hang Clean and Press
Lunge Squats
Abs- Decline oblique sit ups
Crunches
Leg Raise
Oblique crunch 45 pounds

Tuesday- HIIT

Weeks 1-2 30 seconds jog 30 seconds sprint (repeat 4 timesfor 5 minutes total)
Weeks 3-4 30 seconds jog 30 seconds sprint (repeat 6 times 7mins total)
Weeks 5-6 30 seconds jog 30 seconds sprint (repeat 8 times 9mins total)
Weeks 7-8 30 seconds jog 30 seconds sprint (repeat 10 times11 mins total)

Wednesday- Back Bis Forearms Abs
Moderate Heavy weight 4 sets 6-8 reps
Deadlift
T bar row
DB rows
Wide grip pull ups or lat pull downs
Preacher curls
Dumbbell curls
Hammer curls or reverse curls
Fore arm curls
Abs

Friday -Legs
Moderate heavy 5 sets 6-8 reps
Squats
Leg Press
Leg Extension
Hamstring extension
Calf raise
Abs

Saturday- Chest shoulder tris
Moderate Heavy 4 sets 6-8 reps
Bench Press
Incline Press
Dips
Peck deck
Hang clean Press
Dumbbell Press
Lateral Raises
Tricep extensions

I would appreciate any insight you have my major areas for concern are the number of reps I have laid out since I heard 5 sets for the main lifts might help I plan to do that but should I ramp the weight and add weight after each set for the best results?
I like the overall layout but I'd tweak a few things.

- I would do short, more intense bursts for hiit. 15-20 second sprints with 45-40 seconds rest. By rest I don't mean jog I mean standing on the treadmill rails or walking if you're on a track. So a treadmill workout would be 1-3 min 7% incline at 3mph walking, 1-2 min light jog, another 1-2 min walk, then your 5-10 intervals and then 5 min walking cool down. That will be about 20mins.

- If you're more of an endo, do a light walk on an incline for 10 mins right after you workout.
-Regardless of what your body type is, I'd suggest some very light activity on off days--like a walk for 20 mins. This will aid in recovery etc.

-for your back day I would start with a barbell of wide arnold-style cable row--where he gets a good stretch and then really uses his lats to pull the weight nice and low. You emphasize a lot of middle back on the first exercises of your back day--do you have postural problems you're trying to correct?

-I agree with the above comment: heavy compound/explosive exercises should always be done early in a work out. You also have a lot of pressing--keep in mind that bench press uses a lot of anterior delt, excessive presses may stress on your joints amd be counterproductive...consider incorporating some dumbbell work instead of barbell presses

-on leg day you may want to do some romanian dead lifts or glute ham raises. This could mean doing Romanians on back day or skipping deadlifts on that day all together. Ham curls only work one part of your hamstrings--if you like to participate in sports etc you don't want your quads to overpower your hams. Glute and hamstring development is also vital for a strong posterior chain, which is important for increase squat and deadlift weight. While the deadlift is great for hams and glutes, ppl often forget about targeting muscles when they deadlft and just try to move as much weight as they can with bad form.

These are just a few suggestions. Take em or leave em. I hope your program goes well

F

FubarFit

Awards
I like the overall layout but I'd tweak a few things.

- I would do short, more intense bursts for hiit. 15-20 second sprints with 45-40 seconds rest. By rest I don't mean jog I mean standing on the treadmill rails or walking if you're on a track. So a treadmill workout would be 1-3 min 7% incline at 3mph walking, 1-2 min light jog, another 1-2 min walk, then your 5-10 intervals and then 5 min walking cool down. That will be about 20mins.

- If you're more of an endo, do a light walk on an incline for 10 mins right after you workout.
-Regardless of what your body type is, I'd suggest some very light activity on off days--like a walk for 20 mins. This will aid in recovery etc.

-for your back day I would start with a barbell of wide arnold-style cable row--where he gets a good stretch and then really uses his lats to pull the weight nice and low. You emphasize a lot of middle back on the first exercises of your back day--do you have postural problems you're trying to correct?

-I agree with the above comment: heavy compound/explosive exercises should always be done early in a work out. You also have a lot of pressing--keep in mind that bench press uses a lot of anterior delt, excessive presses may stress on your joints amd be counterproductive...consider incorporating some dumbbell work instead of barbell presses

-on leg day you may want to do some romanian dead lifts or glute ham raises. This could mean doing Romanians on back day or skipping deadlifts on that day all together. Ham curls only work one part of your hamstrings--if you like to participate in sports etc you don't want your quads to overpower your hams. Glute and hamstring development is also vital for a strong posterior chain, which is important for increase squat and deadlift weight. While the deadlift is great for hams and glutes, ppl often forget about targeting muscles when they deadlft and just try to move as much weight as they can with bad form.

These are just a few suggestions. Take em or leave em. I hope your program goes well

Thanks I'll take em appreciate the advice. I actually do like the change to the hiit day. I usually do glute ham raises I think I called them extensions. I know the extensions both quad and ham are isolation and I might do 5 sets of squats and not want to water down the workout so I dont know if they are even worth it. I might switch to chest/shoulder/tris on thursday and give me another day to recover from DL.

As far as the pressing goes I used to just use dumbells now I started useing the bar. I could switch back for the benching.

I only live 1.2 miles from the gym so I can always walk there and back or ride a bike but I am a mesomorph and trying to bulk I will consider walking on off days but the hiit is deffinetly going to help recovery I believe.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
-MVP- Training Forum 5
-MVP- Training Forum 8
P.brow17 Training Forum 4
I Workout Logs 0
U Training Forum 8