Good leg routine?

mconstant

Awards
I am a pitcher and I need to strengthen my legs any advice?

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
No brainer here and no secrets. Lots of weight on the barbell, strap it on your back and get after it. No way around it.
Lots of weight on a bar, grab it and pull. No way around it.

You push heavy weight and pull heavy weight, your legs will grow. They have NO choice.

Now with that out of the way, here are some exercises you might want to look into.

Quads:
RFESS (rear foot elevated split squats) (AKA Bulgarian split squats)
Front squats with a clean grip if possible
Barbell lunges / Barbell stepups
Back squat

Hams:
Conv deads / sumo deads
RDL
Good mornings
GHR

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No brainer here and no secrets. Lots of weight on the barbell, strap it on your back and get after it. No way around it.
Lots of weight on a bar, grab it and pull. No way around it.

You push heavy weight and pull heavy weight, your legs will grow. They have NO choice.

Now with that out of the way, here are some exercises you might want to look into.

Quads:
RFESS (rear foot elevated split squats) (AKA Bulgarian split squats)
Front squats with a clean grip if possible
Barbell lunges / Barbell stepups
Back squat

Hams:
Conv deads / sumo deads
RDL
Good mornings
GHR
AKA pitcher squats.

Good exercises here.

Also, don't forget to train your glutes and core specifically. All the force you generate has to travel through the core, and if that isn't strong enough injury can occur.

Br

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
good point zir red. Typically once you start squatting and deadlifting quite heavy (i do both without belts or straps), your core has no choice but to get strong. Many people use the belt and straps as a crutch and the whole time, they are not developing their core.

I havent worked traps directly in 3 years, and my traps are as good as ever......because i pull 400 on my deads with no belt, no straps (not a lot of weight, but not bad for an old 38yr old)

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree, but also think additional sport specific core work needs to be performed. For a pitcher this is trunk rotation (to improve power) and anti-rotation movements to reduce risk of injury...i.e.: to resist "over twisting" during a pitch, so to speak.

Br

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
I agree, but also think additional sport specific core work needs to be performed. For a pitcher this is trunk rotation (to improve power) and anti-rotation movements to reduce risk of injury...i.e.: to resist "over twisting" during a pitch, so to speak.

Br
Every post you make red i feel smarter :hail:

UKNoko

UKNoko

Awards

Br
What would you recommend then for rotational power? Woodchops?

BTW, I know a rower that can do 7 minute planks. That's some crazy core strength...

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The world record plank is like 1:40 (hour 40 min) by a marine. Check out the way Pavel does them for really effective planks.

For rotational power..yes, wood chops are good. So are cable rotations, land mind work, turkish get ups, hip rotations on various devices, med ball side tosses, etc. As well as less conventional such as sledge hammer.

Br