Bench Press Tips

  1. New Member
    butrybench555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    81
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    28.84%

    Bench Press Tips


    Can someone give me a few tips to up my bench? A chest workout that worked for you? Anything is appreciated!

  2. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,265
    Rep Power
    963225
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    How's your technique? FYI, if you're thinking a chest routine is going to help, then you're limiting your bench strength.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. New Member
    mylo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    172
    Rep Power
    458
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    0.91%

    well i'll just share my bench day work out (for the day i max out only) if it helps:


    bench press with pinky on ring for: 1 set of 12, one set of 10, one set of 6, one set of 3, max out, then go back down to 12 to burn out.

    after this i'll do some dumbell presses (the clean and jerk ones with only one hand– not sure what they're called, sorry), one set of 15 to warm up, 3 sets of 10-8 with only 20 seconds between sets.

    tricep over head presses, with any weight you could go for 15 reps with for one set, then anything you can go with 10-8 reps for 3 sets.

    the main thing here is to not take long breaks between sets. its been working for me so far, only takes me about 35 minutes to finish this and my chest and triceps get SWOLLEN for the rest of the day. hope this helps.
    •   
       

  4. Professional Member
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,684
    Rep Power
    118334
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    30.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Its gonna be technique, and training for a big bench. BTW major bench muscles are tris, delts, back, core, legs.
  5. Senior Member
    jaycuda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,001
    Rep Power
    201561
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    59.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou321 View Post
    Its gonna be technique, and training for a big bench. BTW major bench muscles are tris, delts, back, core, legs.
    My normal bench grip has always been pretty close(I chose a grip I felt comfortable with and just stuck with it.) I'm considering moving it out a bit but I don't how to decide where. Any advice?

    Sorry for hijacking your post Butry. The answer to my question could help you too though
  6. Advanced Member
    kBrown's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    867
    Rep Power
    582657
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    5.97%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jaycuda View Post
    My normal bench grip has always been pretty close(I choose a grip I felt comfortable with and just stuck with it.) I'm considering moving it out a bit but I don't how to decide where. Any advice?

    Sorry for hijacking your post Butry. The answer to my question could help you too though
    How close is close ?
    I use a very close grip also, "very" when measured against the wide grip most use when they push the weights I push. But, I have very powerful triceps...
    That being said, I encourage a closer grip, but you may be able to lift less (depending on your tricep strength, and a closer grip has a longer ROM). But, don't let that discourage you.
    Orbit Nutrition Representative

    http://www.orbitnutrition.com
  7. Senior Member
    jaycuda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,001
    Rep Power
    201561
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    59.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by kBrown View Post
    How close is close ?
    I use a very close grip also, "very" when measured against the wide grip most use when they push the weights I push. But, I have very powerful triceps...
    That being said, I encourage a closer grip, but you may be able to lift less (depending on your tricep strength, and a closer grip has a longer ROM). But, don't let that discourage you.
    There is about half the width of a finger between the center of the bar with no grip and my hand. Not sure how else to describe it lol. Eitherway, I'm happy with the amount of weight I move but I definitely wouldn't mind doing more.
  8. Advanced Member
    kBrown's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    867
    Rep Power
    582657
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    5.97%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jaycuda View Post
    There is about half the width of a finger between the center of the bar with no grip and my hand. Not sure how else to describe it lol. Eitherway, I'm happy with the amount of weight I move but I definitely wouldn't mind doing more.
    Check out of my journal, i have some vids there.
    You can develop plenty of strength with close grip bench,
    work on your triceps
    Orbit Nutrition Representative

    http://www.orbitnutrition.com
  9. Senior Member
    jaycuda's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  189 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,001
    Rep Power
    201561
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    59.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by kBrown View Post
    Check out of my journal, i have some vids there.
    You can develop plenty of strength with close grip bench,
    work on your triceps
    I have the tricep strength, just the past few weeks heavy weights have been hurting my elbows with my normal grip.
  10. New Member
    butrybench555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    81
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    28.84%

    Thanks guys. Yeah I'm 15 and weigh 130 and bench 185 but I haven't got up in my max in forever.
  11. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,265
    Rep Power
    963225
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by butrybench555 View Post
    Thanks guys. Yeah I'm 15 and weigh 130 and bench 185 but I haven't got up in my max in forever.
    Focus on gaining weight. It'll help your leverages and allow you to push more weight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Senior Member
    machorox123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,488
    Rep Power
    141406
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    55.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Make sure yur doin supplementary lifts.. Having a wide back woth big traps creates a great base on the bench to be able push heavy weight
  13. Senior Member
    machorox123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,488
    Rep Power
    141406
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    55.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mylo
    well i'll just share my bench day work out (for the day i max out only) if it helps:

    bench press with pinky on ring for: 1 set of 12, one set of 10, one set of 6, one set of 3, max out, then go back down to 12 to burn out.

    after this i'll do some dumbell presses (the clean and jerk ones with only one hand- not sure what they're called, sorry), one set of 15 to warm up, 3 sets of 10-8 with only 20 seconds between sets.

    tricep over head presses, with any weight you could go for 15 reps with for one set, then anything you can go with 10-8 reps for 3 sets.

    the main thing here is to not take long breaks between sets. its been working for me so far, only takes me about 35 minutes to finish this and my chest and triceps get SWOLLEN for the rest of the day. hope this helps.
    He wants to get stronger so longer rest would be recommended
  14. Professional Member
    SweetLou321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,684
    Rep Power
    118334
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    30.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jaycuda View Post
    My normal bench grip has always been pretty close(I chose a grip I felt comfortable with and just stuck with it.) I'm considering moving it out a bit but I don't how to decide where. Any advice?

    Sorry for hijacking your post Butry. The answer to my question could help you too though
    You bench raw I assume?
    Well your gonna have to find that perfect grip for yourself. You can not grip super wide raw as it puts a lot of the pressure on the back side of the shoulder and takes out a good bit tricep. Lifting raw requires you to find a groove that you can get the best leverage from. However a close grip like the one you listed seems to not allow you to truely pull the bar apart and your losing the tucking into the lats. Id do some speed work and move out a finger every set until you feel like its to wide and your losing bar speed. Then back track to the set that was your strongest/fastest. Mines just inside the rings on a comp bench bar. This will shorten the bar path, allow you to touch lower, tuck into the lats better, pull the bar apart better. Id have at least one other set of eyes when working on your grip width.
  15. New Member
    butrybench555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    81
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    28.84%

    Yeah I don't use anything, thanks I will defiantly try it
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Bench press max
    By D.Rabon in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-30-2012, 12:27 AM
  2. I cant improve my Bench Press! any tips?
    By StangBanger in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 11:11 AM
  3. Andy Bolton's 5 Tips to Improving Your Bench Press
    By purebred in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 09:43 PM
  4. Tips for adding reps to Bench Press
    By hockeyroom28 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 03:53 PM
  5. Do not bench press alone
    By HUGE in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in