I have a confession to make!

willc86

Awards
I been bulking for about 6 years now and eating high amount of calories 3500-4000, but I never done abs. I know it is imprtant to do core and I am going to start doing ABs and core since I need it for dead lift, bench press, ect.

But my question is, do AB work out actually help lose or maintain excess fat around your core? I know you have to lose over all body% fat, which is hard to do when bulking, but do ab exercises really make an impact on belly fat w/o doing any cardio? If it makes any sense?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, it doesn't. Now, they will help to give the illusion that you're leaner than you really are (e.g. you'll see some PL'ers with 16-18%BF and have visible top abs), but they won't help to reduce excess fat.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
theoretically it dose..let me explain.

There is no such thing as spot fat removeal but the body dose tend to shed off the fat from the muscle you use during cardio. I have found ab super sets 2x a week rep range of 20 to 30 in a calorie defiect has worked for me.

willc86

Awards
do you think that is why I get some pain in my core section when i do deadlifts, BB rows bench press? because I never do abs?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
do you think that is why I get some pain in my core section when i do deadlifts, BB rows bench press? because I never do abs?
It's possible, but it could also be a lack of overall tightness.

csa2179

csa2179

Awards
I been bulking for about 6 years now and eating high amount of calories 3500-4000, but I never done abs. I know it is imprtant to do core and I am going to start doing ABs and core since I need it for dead lift, bench press, ect.

But my question is, do AB work out actually help lose or maintain excess fat around your core? I know you have to lose over all body% fat, which is hard to do when bulking, but do ab exercises really make an impact on belly fat w/o doing any cardio? If it makes any sense?
you've been bulking for 6 years! holy crap, may be you should take a break for a month or two

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
theoretically it dose..let me explain.

There is no such thing as spot fat removeal but the body dose tend to shed off the fat from the muscle you use during cardio. I have found ab super sets 2x a week rep range of 20 to 30 in a calorie defiect has worked for me.
Perhaps the muscle expanded and the skin fold decreased...or the heat generated as you did all those ab exercises resulted in a loss of extracellular water giving the illusion...but there is no evidence to show that you can spot reduce with exericse. On the contrary, there is plenty of scientific evidence that shows you cannot.

And to the orriginal poster...lets not forget the core is much more than the rectus abominals.

Br

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
And to the orriginal poster...lets not forget the core is much more than the rectus abominals.

Br
I am currently doing the stronglifts 5x5 routine. There is no dedicated "ab" exercise in there, presumably because the deadlifts, squats, and presses take care of the core. Is that thinking correct? Should I work in some core exercises or leave the program as it is?

murk01

murk01

Awards
Yeh. I think working out ABS makes more impact then cardio. I'm not a fan of cardio. If u want a six pack u need to work out the entire mid section. That includes ur back. To get the most out of core. Do what ever exersices u do on ur feet. Ex. Military press standing up. Or front squats instead of reg squats. Plus what ever AB routine u got.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am currently doing the stronglifts 5x5 routine. There is no dedicated "ab" exercise in there, presumably because the deadlifts, squats, and presses take care of the core. Is that thinking correct? Should I work in some core exercises or leave the program as it is?
People often overlook the importance of training the deeper core muscles via static exercises like various bridges, bridges with resistance, bridges with instability (i.e.: reaching out during a prone bridge or plank), as well as rotational and anti-rotational movements.

Br

murk01

murk01

Awards
People often overlook the importance of training the deeper core muscles via static exercises like various bridges, bridges with resistance, bridges with instability (i.e.: reaching out during a prone bridge or plank), as well as rotational and anti-rotational movements.

Br
True!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jakz General Chat 12
BeardedBreast Supplements 7
Levyii Supplement Logs 8
KenTheEagle Anabolics 4
fame126 General Chat 25