Need a good target lift for rear delts / lower pec

BadSeed

BadSeed

Awards
Hey guys, I am looking for a solid lift for rear delts - they are becoming a noticable weak point.

Also looking for a solid lower pec focus that won't mess with my rotator cuff too bad. Dips murder my shoulder - takes 3 days to feel right.

Thanks!

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Good job on stimulating the real delts. Most people develop imbalances through neglecting them.

Bent over barbell rows with a wide grip and bent over lateral raises will strengthen them nice. If you are looking for additional work, try face pulls.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Facepulls
Band Pullaparts
Bent Laterals
Prone TYW

Train rear delts/mid-traps 2x/week for 3-4 sets and 12-15 reps per set. Done properly, your bench numbers will go up and you'll probably be able to start doing dips again.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like to do bent over laterals and reverse pec deck afterwards.

BadSeed

BadSeed

Awards
Great info - knew I could count on you guys.

Is decline bench good for lower pec or is that just BS? No one seems to do it anymore. That said, I still like some oldschool lifts - like pullovers for instance.

wrxwhit

wrxwhit

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I also like high cable pulls to the rear to burn rear delts at the end of my shoulder regime.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards

Is decline bench good for lower pec or is that just BS? No one seems to do it anymore. That said, I still like some oldschool lifts - like pullovers for instance.
decline is a staple in my chest workout, weighted dips

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established

I'm starting to think decline is over rated. It's been a staple in my chest routine as well for years and I rarely if ever really feel it in my chest anymore. I change grip up constantly and add weight but It just seems pointless. I get a burn in my chest if I do low weight high reps but that's like we'll over 15 reps. It's funny you mentioned that because lately I've been looking for a replacement for decline bench. I was going to do decline DB press next week instead . See how that goes.

I like dips but at the weight I'm at now and the shoulder injuries I've had it hurts to dip and I get elbow issues

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm starting to think decline is over rated. It's been a staple in my chest routine as well for years and I rarely if ever really feel it in my chest anymore. I change grip up constantly and add weight but It just seems pointless. I get a burn in my chest if I do low weight high reps but that's like we'll over 15 reps. It's funny you mentioned that because lately I've been looking for a replacement for decline bench. I was going to do decline DB press next week instead . See how that goes.

I like dips but at the weight I'm at now and the shoulder injuries I've had it hurts to dip and I get elbow issues
You and I are about the same size (assuming the listed weight is accurate) and I do dips 2x/week. More often than not, the reason people can't do it is due to internal rotation of the humerus and weak mid/lower traps.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
The Sternocostal Head

"One of the most common assumptions in the world of iron is that the decline bench is the best for developing the lower pecs. However, this familiar premise may be nothing more than another unfounded gym myth. According to the Barnett EMG study, the flat bench produced much more electrical energy in the lower pecs than did either the decline or incline positions. "I agree with this research" says NPC National Champion and pro bodybuilder Jay Cutler, "The flat bench is much better for lower pec development than the decline."

Barnett, C., Kippers, V., and Turner, P. (1995). Effects of variations of the bench press exercise on the EMG activity of five shoulder muscles. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 9(4): 222-227.

Decline presses do not stimulate the sternocostal head of the pec better that flat benches. The myth was that there is an upper chest, lower chest, and middle chest. The pectoralis major is one muscle with two heads: clavicular and sternocostal. Incline press hits the clavicular head better than flat, but flat hits the sternocostal head better than both decline and incline. The necessity of incline presses is debatable amongst lifters and their overall response to stimulus.

You and I are about the same size (assuming the listed weight is accurate) and I do dips 2x/week. More often than not, the reason people can't do it is due to internal rotation of the humerus and weak mid/lower traps.
^ This is correct and the cause of this is the emphasis placed on pressing motions like flat bench, incline bench, weighted dips, overhead press and even pullups. Pullups focus on development of the lats and the lats are part of the internal rotators of the humerus, which only contributes to the muscular imbalance. Emphasis on rowing, depression of the scapula, face pulls and external rotation motions will provide beneficial to the condition.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Well I used to do them at 205lbs with a a 35lb weight hanging before my shoulder injuries a few years ago. Now I'm 230lbs (I think my profile says 220 from December) and with both shoulders injured bad , left side had two surgeries ,right side rehab only, it's just very uncomfortable to do. I should prolly auck it up and use the dip assist machine and and see if I can work my way up to support my own weight. I guess my ego has been keeping me off that thing ;-)

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
The Sternocostal Head

"One of the most common assumptions in the world of iron is that the decline bench is the best for developing the lower pecs. However, this familiar premise may be nothing more than another unfounded gym myth. According to the Barnett EMG study, the flat bench produced much more electrical energy in the lower pecs than did either the decline or incline positions. "I agree with this research" says NPC National Champion and pro bodybuilder Jay Cutler, "The flat bench is much better for lower pec development than the decline."

Barnett, C., Kippers, V., and Turner, P. (1995). Effects of variations of the bench press exercise on the EMG activity of five shoulder muscles. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 9(4): 222-227.

Decline presses do not stimulate the sternocostal head of the pec better that flat benches. The myth was that there is an upper chest, lower chest, and middle chest. The pectoralis major is one muscle with two heads: clavicular and sternocostal. Incline press hits the clavicular head better than flat, but flat hits the sternocostal head better than both decline and incline. The necessity of incline presses is debatable amongst lifters and their overall response to stimulus.

^ This is correct and the cause of this is the emphasis placed on pressing motions like flat bench, incline bench, weighted dips, overhead press and even pullups. Pullups focus on development of the lats and the lats are part of the internal rotators of the humerus, which only contributes to the muscular imbalance. Emphasis on rowing, depression of the scapula, face pulls and external rotation motions will provide beneficial to the condition.
Good read! Thanx for that info. I'm knocking decline off the checklist next Monday. Focus the energy on another exercise. Btw , on tne dip thing, one of my surgeries was on the left scapula and I've had alot of upper back/trap muscle issues relating to that injury.