Need a good target lift for rear delts / lower pec - AnabolicMinds.com

Need a good target lift for rear delts / lower pec

  1. New Member
    BadSeed's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    79

    Reputation

    Need a good target lift for rear delts / lower pec


    Hey guys, I am looking for a solid lift for rear delts - they are becoming a noticable weak point.

    Also looking for a solid lower pec focus that won't mess with my rotator cuff too bad. Dips murder my shoulder - takes 3 days to feel right.

    Thanks!
    "If you weren't there for my struggle, don't expect to be there for my success."

  2. Elite Member
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,449
    Rep Power
    2612252

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  3. Advanced Member
    kingk0ng's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    743
    Rep Power
    122329

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Good job on stimulating the real delts. Most people develop imbalances through neglecting them.

    Bent over barbell rows with a wide grip and bent over lateral raises will strengthen them nice. If you are looking for additional work, try face pulls.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,047
    Rep Power
    919684

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Facepulls
    Band Pullaparts
    Bent Laterals
    Prone TYW

    Train rear delts/mid-traps 2x/week for 3-4 sets and 12-15 reps per set. Done properly, your bench numbers will go up and you'll probably be able to start doing dips again.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Elite Member
    Tomahawk88's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9,005
    Rep Power
    629265

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I like to do bent over laterals and reverse pec deck afterwards.
  6. New Member
    BadSeed's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    79

    Reputation

    Great info - knew I could count on you guys.

    Is decline bench good for lower pec or is that just BS? No one seems to do it anymore. That said, I still like some oldschool lifts - like pullovers for instance.
    "If you weren't there for my struggle, don't expect to be there for my success."
  7. Advanced Member
    wrxwhit's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  212 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    680
    Rep Power
    114217

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I also like high cable pulls to the rear to burn rear delts at the end of my shoulder regime.
  8. Elite Member
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,449
    Rep Power
    2612252

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BadSeed View Post
    Great info - knew I could count on you guys.

    Is decline bench good for lower pec or is that just BS? No one seems to do it anymore. That said, I still like some oldschool lifts - like pullovers for instance.
    decline is a staple in my chest workout, weighted dips
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  9. Senior Member
    mikeg313's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,310
    Rep Power
    460193

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by BadSeed
    Great info - knew I could count on you guys.

    Is decline bench good for lower pec or is that just BS? No one seems to do it anymore. That said, I still like some oldschool lifts - like pullovers for instance.
    I'm starting to think decline is over rated. It's been a staple in my chest routine as well for years and I rarely if ever really feel it in my chest anymore. I change grip up constantly and add weight but It just seems pointless. I get a burn in my chest if I do low weight high reps but that's like we'll over 15 reps. It's funny you mentioned that because lately I've been looking for a replacement for decline bench. I was going to do decline DB press next week instead . See how that goes.

    I like dips but at the weight I'm at now and the shoulder injuries I've had it hurts to dip and I get elbow issues
  10. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,047
    Rep Power
    919684

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg313 View Post
    I'm starting to think decline is over rated. It's been a staple in my chest routine as well for years and I rarely if ever really feel it in my chest anymore. I change grip up constantly and add weight but It just seems pointless. I get a burn in my chest if I do low weight high reps but that's like we'll over 15 reps. It's funny you mentioned that because lately I've been looking for a replacement for decline bench. I was going to do decline DB press next week instead . See how that goes.

    I like dips but at the weight I'm at now and the shoulder injuries I've had it hurts to dip and I get elbow issues
    You and I are about the same size (assuming the listed weight is accurate) and I do dips 2x/week. More often than not, the reason people can't do it is due to internal rotation of the humerus and weak mid/lower traps.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Advanced Member
    kingk0ng's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    743
    Rep Power
    122329

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    The Sternocostal Head

    "One of the most common assumptions in the world of iron is that the decline bench is the best for developing the lower pecs. However, this familiar premise may be nothing more than another unfounded gym myth. According to the Barnett EMG study, the flat bench produced much more electrical energy in the lower pecs than did either the decline or incline positions. "I agree with this research" says NPC National Champion and pro bodybuilder Jay Cutler, "The flat bench is much better for lower pec development than the decline."


    Barnett, C., Kippers, V., and Turner, P. (1995). Effects of variations of the bench press exercise on the EMG activity of five shoulder muscles. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 9(4): 222-227.

    Decline presses do not stimulate the sternocostal head of the pec better that flat benches. The myth was that there is an upper chest, lower chest, and middle chest. The pectoralis major is one muscle with two heads: clavicular and sternocostal. Incline press hits the clavicular head better than flat, but flat hits the sternocostal head better than both decline and incline. The necessity of incline presses is debatable amongst lifters and their overall response to stimulus.

    You and I are about the same size (assuming the listed weight is accurate) and I do dips 2x/week. More often than not, the reason people can't do it is due to internal rotation of the humerus and weak mid/lower traps.
    ^ This is correct and the cause of this is the emphasis placed on pressing motions like flat bench, incline bench, weighted dips, overhead press and even pullups. Pullups focus on development of the lats and the lats are part of the internal rotators of the humerus, which only contributes to the muscular imbalance. Emphasis on rowing, depression of the scapula, face pulls and external rotation motions will provide beneficial to the condition.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  12. Senior Member
    mikeg313's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,310
    Rep Power
    460193

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    You and I are about the same size (assuming the listed weight is accurate) and I do dips 2x/week. More often than not, the reason people can't do it is due to internal rotation of the humerus and weak mid/lower traps.
    Well I used to do them at 205lbs with a a 35lb weight hanging before my shoulder injuries a few years ago. Now I'm 230lbs (I think my profile says 220 from December) and with both shoulders injured bad , left side had two surgeries ,right side rehab only, it's just very uncomfortable to do. I should prolly auck it up and use the dip assist machine and and see if I can work my way up to support my own weight. I guess my ego has been keeping me off that thing ;-)
  13. Senior Member
    mikeg313's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,310
    Rep Power
    460193

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng
    The Sternocostal Head

    "One of the most common assumptions in the world of iron is that the decline bench is the best for developing the lower pecs. However, this familiar premise may be nothing more than another unfounded gym myth. According to the Barnett EMG study, the flat bench produced much more electrical energy in the lower pecs than did either the decline or incline positions. "I agree with this research" says NPC National Champion and pro bodybuilder Jay Cutler, "The flat bench is much better for lower pec development than the decline."

    Barnett, C., Kippers, V., and Turner, P. (1995). Effects of variations of the bench press exercise on the EMG activity of five shoulder muscles. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 9(4): 222-227.

    Decline presses do not stimulate the sternocostal head of the pec better that flat benches. The myth was that there is an upper chest, lower chest, and middle chest. The pectoralis major is one muscle with two heads: clavicular and sternocostal. Incline press hits the clavicular head better than flat, but flat hits the sternocostal head better than both decline and incline. The necessity of incline presses is debatable amongst lifters and their overall response to stimulus.

    ^ This is correct and the cause of this is the emphasis placed on pressing motions like flat bench, incline bench, weighted dips, overhead press and even pullups. Pullups focus on development of the lats and the lats are part of the internal rotators of the humerus, which only contributes to the muscular imbalance. Emphasis on rowing, depression of the scapula, face pulls and external rotation motions will provide beneficial to the condition.
    Good read! Thanx for that info. I'm knocking decline off the checklist next Monday. Focus the energy on another exercise. Btw , on tne dip thing, one of my surgeries was on the left scapula and I've had alot of upper back/trap muscle issues relating to that injury.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Dem rear delts, is this for real??
    By ItsHectic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 04:12 PM
  2. Rear delts?
    By skindog101 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 09:46 PM
  3. Give this exercise a try - rear and side delts
    By ItsHectic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 08:41 PM
  4. Fave for rear delts?
    By freqfly in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 05:00 PM
  5. post ur fav rear delt lift
    By Brolic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 03:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in