What is over training?

willc86

Awards
Ok, I know what it is and the effect, but how do people get there?

Like if you do chest 3 times a week full load? for like 6 weeks straight? Can that lead to OT?

Or a normal routine like

every mondy you do bench press until you hit fatigue on each set. Can that lead to OT?

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Over training has a lot of factors:
Supplements
"supplements"
Your experience
Your body.

Me personally I can "feel" when I have over trained. I ache, in a not pleasant way, weight that should feel a bit lighter begins to seem a bit heavier. Etc.

Personally every 4-5 weeks I try to take a good week off. Trust me, it won't kill you.
Some people do 4 weeks of heavy and then a week "off" but during that week they still stay active (1-3 sets, light weight). However all these numbers are meaningless. There is no magic number--hence why everyone does things differently.

Just listen to your body and see what it tells you to do. If still unsure train hard for 4 weeks and then take a week off. Won't kill you...

also, IMO doing chest 3 times a week is ridiculous.

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
Supplements
"supplements"
Your experience
Your body.

Me personally I can "feel" when I have over trained. I ache, in a not pleasant way, weight that should feel a bit lighter begins to seem a bit heavier. Etc.

Personally every 4-5 weeks I try to take a good week off. Trust me, it won't kill you.
Some people do 4 weeks of heavy and then a week "off" but during that week they still stay active (1-3 sets, light weight). However all these numbers are meaningless. There is no magic number--hence why everyone does things differently.

Just listen to your body and see what it tells you to do. If still unsure train hard for 4 weeks and then take a week off. Won't kill you...

Yea I agree with this. You just have to listen to your body. I know I have overtrained when I feel really fatigued, and don't want to work out.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Yea I agree with this. You just have to listen to your body. I know I have overtrained when I feel really fatigued, and don't want to work out.
I train with 3 of my roomies, we are all at very different phases of development and training. But, we all reach a common point where it is like:
Man I want to train, but my body is hurting in ways that tell me I shouldnt be lifting.

When you get to that point just rest.

Taking 4-7 days off will not weaken you in the least.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whoever coined the term overtraining needs to be shot. Overtraining is primarily a CNS issue; overuse is a completely different issue. 99% of people that think they are overtraining are not. Unless you're consistently training >90% of your 1RM 2-3x/week, you're not going to overtrain and there are ways in which you can do that and still not overtrain.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Supplements
"supplements"
Your experience
Your body.

boom! agreed, taking time off is a good thing....

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Whoever coined the term overtraining needs to be shot. Overtraining is primarily a CNS issue; overuse is a completely different issue. 99% of people that think they are overtraining are not. Unless you're consistently training >90% of your 1RM 2-3x/week, you're not going to overtrain and there are ways in which you can do that and still not overtrain.
When your body aches, it aches and needs time off plain and simple.

You can go through a particularly brutal week long routine and be out of commission for a solid 3-4 days easily if your body is not used to that routine--matter of fact I am going through such an episode right now.

You are right though:
Many of us when utilizing the term "over training" do not distinguish between giving the muscles sufficient time to recover and the CNS.

You are also correct in saying (well you implied) that your CNS becomes increasingly stressed when training around 90% of your 1RM, when training at these levels you do require time to de-load (some use a bit of volume training for a week to give the body a rest).

Curious how your post, other than to detract from what was said above helps the individual (willc86) in any way?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

You can go through a particularly brutal week long routine and be out of commission for a solid 3-4 days easily if your body is not used to that routine--matter of fact I am going through such an episode right now.

You are right though:
Many of us when utilizing the term "over training" do not distinguish between giving the muscles sufficient time to recover and the CNS.

You are also correct in saying (well you implied) that your CNS becomes increasingly stressed when training around 90% of your 1RM, when training at these levels you do require time to de-load (some use a bit of volume training for a week to give the body a rest).

Curious how your post, other than to detract from what was said above helps the individual (willc86) in any way?
If you're body is not conditioned for a particular phase, then the recovery will take longer, but, as the body adapts, your recovery will increase. Just because your body aches does not mean that you need time off. It could be from an overuse injury, but it could also be from inadequate cool-down, lack of mobility, or you could just need a good MFR session.

The point of my post is that people are far too quick to throw out overtraining and think that it's very easy to do when it's not. The body is not that fragile and people need to quit acting as though overtraining is something that happens overnight. It takes months to reach a truly overtrained state.

willc86

Awards
So, it is impossible to overtrain if I do chest once a week and fatiguing all the time?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, it is impossible to overtrain if I do chest once a week and fatiguing all the time?
You may potentially get an overuse injury (e.g. sprain or strain), but overtraining is unlikely.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
IMO
You will be fine performing chest once a week. You could also hit it twice a week, though the second time I would suggest hitting the chest in a different manner (e.g. weighted dips).

Overall this is my advice take it or leave it I am not here to argue
Train hard for 4 weeks rest a week. (you will not have any strength decreases from a week off, just stay active...springs, jogging, etc)
Or train 4 weeks heavy and then do a week of deload (e.g. 4 weeks heavy, 1 week light--more reps, less sets)

As you become more experienced you will know what protocols to follow for your body.

Also, everyone is going to have a different opinion, or "expert opinion" or "educated opinion" or however they want to bill it on this matter.

Ultimately train for years and figure out what works for you, in the process educate yourself as much as possible

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
You might be in an "over-reaching" state where the body is being used a lot and needs more time to adapt. If this happens too often and your body can't recover quick enough with all the stimulation it keeps getting, then over several weeks you can reach an "over training" state. Other than that your okay. I think that working chest 3x a week is too much, but depending on the intensity or workload of your training who knows? I could go into the gym 3 days/week and do 3 sets of bench press at 65% of my 1rm and I would be fine. If your on the opposite side of the spectrum and crushin it with high volume or high intensity of your 1rm then you will over-reach and in time possibly, just possibly overtrain.

willc86

Awards
Thank you! I will take that advice. I also read that advice somewhere.

so 4 weeks heavy, 1 week light then continue 4 weeks heavy 1 week light and so fourth.

I should probably switch how I do chest as well. Like instead of bench press, maybe use dumbells?

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Its apain in the a#$!!!Im still recovering half from it,my lifts never really suffered,weight always went up,ran/swam faster,what it did was overload my cns,causing me to be fatigued though out day and sometimes the day after training.

My training isnt the average b/b routine i do alot of circuit/complexes with running/swimming durning the week at a very high intensity.Al my training/routines change with each micro segment,so theres always change(trainer for all this)

Main thing is dont over do it like i did(extra training on top of my trainers)so unless your training/lifting super heavy(squats/deads are the worse on cns)you should be ok as long as diet is in check for your routine/lifestlye

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Completely agree. Frankly the vast majority of people don't train hard enough consistently to overtrain. The idea that you shouldn't train while a little sore or anything of the nature is funny. The body adapts so quickly and I'm a huge proponent of active recovery anyways. I remember I used to be "afraid" of overtraining as it was all you'd read about for a while. Soon I was almost scared to truly work in the gym cause heaven forbid I overtrain and turn into a 4th grade girl!

aceroni

Awards
i usually take a good week or two to deload after 12-16 consecutive weeks of progressive overload.
I know i need a deload when:
1) I'm tired
2) light weights feel heavy
3) i dont have motivation to lift

.. like the guys are saying whether that is over reaching or over training is beyond my concern. The matter of the fact is that after 12-16 weeks of HARD training, 4-5x a week, i get burnt out. idk what you wanna call it, but when i take one week off, then do a light week the next (or vice versa) my energy levels skyrocket and i even seem to grow a little bit.. but maybe thats just me.

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
IMO
You will be fine performing chest once a week. You could also hit it twice a week, though the second time I would suggest hitting the chest in a different manner (e.g. weighted dips).

Overall this is my advice take it or leave it I am not here to argue
Train hard for 4 weeks rest a week. (you will not have any strength decreases from a week off, just stay active...springs, jogging, etc)
Or train 4 weeks heavy and then do a week of deload (e.g. 4 weeks heavy, 1 week light--more reps, less sets)

As you become more experienced you will know what protocols to follow for your body.

Also, everyone is going to have a different opinion, or "expert opinion" or "educated opinion" or however they want to bill it on this matter.

Ultimately train for years and figure out what works for you, in the process educate yourself as much as possible
Nicely said

TomGreen

TomGreen

Awards
Completely agree. Frankly the vast majority of people don't train hard enough consistently to overtrain. The idea that you shouldn't train while a little sore or anything of the nature is funny. The body adapts so quickly and I'm a huge proponent of active recovery anyways. I remember I used to be "afraid" of overtraining as it was all you'd read about for a while. Soon I was almost scared to truly work in the gym cause heaven forbid I overtrain and turn into a 4th grade girl!
i have to disagree. if your an ectomorph and you start working out everyday for 1.5 or 2 hours everyday you will be doing yourself a major disservice, and have a much harder time putting mass on than if you are working out 4 or 5 days a week with workouts about 45 minutes long. Lots of people start off working out and are all excitied and overtrain. Rest and recovery is just as important as time in the gym. Do you know how many guys went out and bought arnolds encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding and saw little to no results because they were all overtraining. Overtraining and too much volume is a killerto alot of people, especially ecto's

saggy321

Awards
  • Established

You are right though:

I agree wholeheartedly.....having recently suffered. I was doing the Layne Norton routine which was pretty intensive training 5 days a week and doing HIT the other two days combined with a massively reduced calorific intake....not a good idea. It first manifested itself as fatigue and lack of motivation, but I stuck to it thinking I was being a girl....and then it hit me at once...it was awful...palpitations, hot flushes, sweats, tremors, insomnia, lack of appetite and gas....its taken me fives to be feel 70 - 80% of normal and start a half decent weights routine.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I agree wholeheartedly.....having recently suffered. I was doing the Layne Norton routine which was pretty intensive training 5 days a week and doing HIT the other two days combined with a massively reduced calorific intake....not a good idea. It first manifested itself as fatigue and lack of motivation, but I stuck to it thinking I was being a girl....and then it hit me at once...it was awful...palpitations, hot flushes, sweats, tremors, insomnia, lack of appetite and gas....its taken me fives to be feel 70 - 80% of normal and start a half decent weights routine.
When you got taxed out how was your sleeping?I ask because some nights i sleep ok,but alot i keep waking to pee,hands keep going numb no matter how i postion them,and an hour before usally wake up i start getting restless.DId you have any of this,or am i just sleeping on a crappy matress(kiddin its new)

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
chris aceto recently wrote an article about overtraining....it's a lot more common than ppl think

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually take a week off at the begining of the year and one at the end.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have to disagree. if your an ectomorph and you start working out everyday for 1.5 or 2 hours everyday you will be doing yourself a major disservice, and have a much harder time putting mass on than if you are working out 4 or 5 days a week with workouts about 45 minutes long. Lots of people start off working out and are all excitied and overtrain. Rest and recovery is just as important as time in the gym. Do you know how many guys went out and bought arnolds encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding and saw little to no results because they were all overtraining. Overtraining and too much volume is a killerto alot of people, especially ecto's
I wasn't trying to say it is impossible to overtrain, merely that for the VAST majority of trainers it isn't something to be concerned with. I don't know where you're working out at, but I'd say 99% of the people I've seen in the different gyms I've been to are not working out hard enough to overtrain. Nor did I ever say rest and recovery weren't important.

My point was overtraining is an excuse to most to not work hard. The general average American Joe weightlifter doesn't need to be concerned with overtraining one bit. They aren't working hard enough consistently to see anything near it.

People need to learn the difference between overreaching and overtraining and also realize that just because you "aren't feeling it" in the gym one day doesn't mean you're overtrained.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
When you got taxed out how was your sleeping?I ask because some nights i sleep ok,but alot i keep waking to pee,hands keep going numb no matter how i postion them,and an hour before usally wake up i start getting restless.DId you have any of this,or am i just sleeping on a crappy matress(kiddin its new)
For a couple of nights I awoke drenched in sweat for no reason, it wasn't even warm. But I didn't think anything of it. But then I couldn't sleep at all....literally nothing...for four nights. I was lying down and my heart rate was elevated by 30%. My body felt I had taken stims even though I hadn't. It was all the cortisol and adrenaline pumping through my body. I also had very cold hands and feet due to the adrenaline.

willc86

Awards

I go to the gym now 4 times a week and stay no more then 45 mins at the gym. But everything I lift is always heavy. I am confused...I thought ectos need a lot of volume to grow. I usually aim for 5-7reps heavy weight every set I do

or sometimes I do 2 warm up set of about 12-15 then 6-10 then last 2 sets I go heavy aiming for about 4-6 struggling like hell. so it loosk osmething liek this

Chest/biceps/back/legs
set 1 - 12-15 reps Light
set 2 - 12-15 reps Light
set 3 - 7-10 reps - moderate heavy(fatigued)
set 4 - 4-6 reps - really heavy (faitgued)

Abs
a lot of reps

By the ways, I am an ecto. I am 6ft and currently weight 205lbs. I am trying to get 220 230 at around 7-11% boody fat.

I still get sore at every body part every day. especially chest. My chest stays sore for like 3 days still. Not sure if that is normal after a while of being at the gym.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I go to the gym now 4 times a week and stay no more then 45 mins at the gym. But everything I lift is always heavy. I am confused...I thought ectos need a lot of volume to grow. I usually aim for 5-7reps heavy weight every set I do

or sometimes I do 2 warm up set of about 12-15 then 6-10 then last 2 sets I go heavy aiming for about 4-6 struggling like hell. so it loosk osmething liek this

Chest/biceps/back/legs
set 1 - 12-15 reps Light
set 2 - 12-15 reps Light

Abs
a lot of reps

By the ways, I am an ecto. I am 6ft and currently weight 205lbs. I am trying to get 220 230 at around 7-11% boody fat.

I still get sore at every body part every day. especially chest. My chest stays sore for like 3 days still. Not sure if that is normal after a while of being at the gym.
Soreness means little when it comes to recovery. I can still feel some soreness in my upper body from Friday, but that's not going to stop me from training today. With your rep scheme and amount of time you're actually in the gym, it will be very unlikely that you will overtrain because your reps are not the extreme end of 1RM (assuming you have adequate nutrition and sleep).

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
that is good to know =)

What is 1RM?
1 rep maximum. The max amount of weight you can lift one time for a certain exercise.

For example if you can bench press 200 pounds one time, but can't bench 205 then your 1RM on bench is 200 pounds.

UKNoko

UKNoko

Awards
I'd have to disagree a bit... "Hardgainers" usually underestimate how much more they should eat when working out hard. That way, you're constantly working out on depleted energy levels and after a while your ability to perform goes downhill. Up daily cals intake and you'll be back on track in nearly no time.

willc86

Awards
So, is this a good work out for bulking?

Chest/biceps/back/legs
set 1 - 12-15 reps Light
set 2 - 12-15 reps Light/moderate (almost hits fatigue but can keep going if I wanted too)

abs

lots of reps moderate weight to failure each

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Chest/biceps/back/legs
set 1 - 12-15 reps Light
set 2 - 12-15 reps Light/moderate (almost hits fatigue but can keep going if I wanted too)

abs

Bulking has much more to do with your diet.

willc86

Awards
Yeah, I am eating good now. Finally got my diet packed. I am trying to hit 50ish grams of protein each meal now, but still slowly getting there. But I eat good qualities of food like

10 eggs yogurt bannana

2 cups brown rice 1 chicken 1 scoop protein

full serving weight gainer

ect.... 6 times a day

But I just want to make sure I have my work out packed. I am just a bit confused on whats best for developing size and mass

like I seen people be like 5 set of 4-5 reps fatiguing each set

then people say hit your heavy weight on your last 1 or 2 sets, which is what I have been doing.

I see people saying do 3 min rest, 40 sec rest 1 min rest. so all this information is just like, dam...what do I do.

I do try to switch it up every 2 months.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established

Chest/biceps/back/legs
set 1 - 12-15 reps Light

abs

A good split is chest/biceps -off-legs/abs-off-back/tricep-off-shoulders-off-off as for sets,ect

Pick 4 exercises (2 for each part or 3 for lagging part1 for other) 3 to 4 sets 8 to 12 reps for upper body and 12 to 20 for lower /abs*hypertrophy ranges*every 4 to 8 weeks or so switch either rep range from hypertrophy to strenght *3-6* and go heavy or add a different exercise to the mix.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I am eating good now. Finally got my diet packed. I am trying to hit 50ish grams of protein each meal now, but still slowly getting there. But I eat good qualities of food like

10 eggs yogurt bannana

2 cups brown rice 1 chicken 1 scoop protein

full serving weight gainer

ect.... 6 times a day

But I just want to make sure I have my work out packed. I am just a bit confused on whats best for developing size and mass

like I seen people be like 5 set of 4-5 reps fatiguing each set

then people say hit your heavy weight on your last 1 or 2 sets, which is what I have been doing.

I see people saying do 3 min rest, 40 sec rest 1 min rest. so all this information is just like, dam...what do I do.

I do try to switch it up every 2 months.
Rest depends of how heavy it is. Working up to a max double will require more rest between sets than a set of 12. Honestly, it sounds like you need to do the thing that everybody has to do: trial and error and learn what works specifically for you.

As far as changing it up goes, there is no reason to change your routine just for the sake of changing it. If you're still seeing results from it in terms of both size and strength, then there is no reason to change it.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rest depends of how heavy it is. Working up to a max double will require more rest between sets than a set of 12. Honestly, it sounds like you need to do the thing that everybody has to do: trial and error and learn what works specifically for you.

As far as changing it up goes, there is no reason to change your routine just for the sake of changing it. If you're still seeing results from it in terms of both size and strength, then there is no reason to change it.
Agreed

viagra69

Awards
whats your thoughts on this i train legs once a week and have done for long time but i lift heavy and so after heavy squats 5 heavy sets 3 heavy leg press 3 sets calfs 3 set leg extentions 4 sets of romanian deadlift heavy thats my leg work out takes about an hour i am absalutly broke up for most of the week and only start to feel good by the time its back to legs 1 week later other days im training upper body about 5 days a week

UKNoko

UKNoko

Awards
whats your thoughts on this i train legs once a week and have done for long time but i lift heavy and so after heavy squats 5 heavy sets 3 heavy leg press 3 sets calfs 3 set leg extentions 4 sets of romanian deadlift heavy thats my leg work out takes about an hour i am absalutly broke up for most of the week and only start to feel good by the time its back to legs 1 week later other days im training upper body about 5 days a week
That's quite a volume. Are you lifting close to your 1RM? Are you adding weight on every workout? Are you adding mass?

viagra69

Awards
not realy making much in the line of gains squat was at about 160kg romanian dead at 150kg for a long time went on a course of test prop and primo sq went to 180kg romanian to 170kg when i came off during pct didnt push myself to the max just finished pct and got a bad flu so not realy sure where i am strength wise now havnt tried my max but wud squat about 150kg and romanian about the same during pct just back this week after the flu im a hard gainer but short at 5.7 probably down to about 183 after this flu

aceroni

Awards
^^ do you guys REALLY think thats alot of volume.. I feel like i must be seriously overdoing it, if thats the case...
Im doing about 15 sets for legs (4 leg curl 4 squat 4 leg pres or hax 4 sldl) and im really never sore for more than 3 days ... i feel like you're not eating enough or sleeping enough if your sore for a whole week. either that or you're dehydrated, and drinking booze..?

viagra69

Awards
dont drink at all the very odd time that would be it.i dont drink alot of water outside the gym would drink alot when training but when i do drink wud normaly have to visit the jacks fairly soon after so i think i am hydrated would get 8-9hours sleep i wouldnt be a deep sleeper anything would wake me up diet is good would get about 200gr of protein a day 4-5 meals on a good day might get 220gr

viagra69

Awards
sorry ment to say these lifts wudnt be 1rm squats about 4 reps romanians about 6 or 7

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're knocking that out in about an hour, then it must not be that heavy in comparison to your 1RM. Warming up and the squats alone would take about 30 minutes.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
If you're body is not conditioned for a particular phase, then the recovery will take longer, but, as the body adapts, your recovery will increase. Just because your body aches does not mean that you need time off. It could be from an overuse injury, but it could also be from inadequate cool-down, lack of mobility, or you could just need a good MFR session.

The point of my post is that people are far too quick to throw out overtraining and think that it's very easy to do when it's not. The body is not that fragile and people need to quit acting as though overtraining is something that happens overnight. It takes months to reach a truly overtrained state.
^ This post. I'm not meaning to disrespect anyone else that participated in this thread, but this post was amongst the only ones with the proper understanding of what the term actually means.

Overtraining is the most abused word in the lifting community. Overtraining and overuse are not the same thing. Overtraining refers to the CNS and it's very difficult to do. You can train too much, but that doesn't mean you're overtraining. You start bordering what is necessary and what isn't.

Fatigue and aches can be the result of several different things. The overuse injury is often one of the most highly believed "overtraining" injury, but it's not. It's overuse. When you lift weights, your nervous system is in control. A car only runs out of gas when the person operating us fails to do his part.

Overtraining is also something that doesn't occur in a single session.

Rodja, you're becoming one of my favorite posters on this board, along with ZiR RED.

A great explanation of it is by Christian Thibaudeau. It actually made his #5 on dumb training.

Dumb Thing #5: Misunderstanding "Overtraining" If you ask me, "overtraining" is the most abused and misunderstood concept in the entire strength training community! Perform more than twelve sets for a muscle during a workout and you'll undoubtedly be accused of overtraining. Train a muscle group more often than two times per week? Overtraining! Relying on set extending methods such as drop sets, pre or post-fatigue, or rest-pause? What are you doing? Don't you know that's overtraining and you'll shrink faster than your masculine pride on a snowy Canadian winter night?!

Yes, overtraining can eventually become a problem when it comes to your training performance, injury risks, and growth. However, it's far from being as common as most people would have you believe.

The problem stems from the term itself, which is composed of "over" and "training." Because of that term, individuals are quick to equate it to "training too much." So every time someone thinks that a routine has too much volume, frequency, or advanced methods, they're quick to pull the "overtraining" trigger. When someone is tired and has a few bad workouts he'll also automatically assume that he's "overtraining." In both cases this shows a misunderstanding of what overtraining really is.

Overtraining is a physiological state caused by an excess accumulation of physiological, psychological, emotional, environmental, and chemical stress that leads to a sustained decrease in physical and mental performance, and that requires a relatively long recovery period. There are four important elements in that scientific definition:

"Physiological state:" Overtraining isn't an action (i.e. training too much) but a state in which your body can be put through. In that regard, it's similar to a burnout, a medical depression, or an illness.

"Caused by an excess accumulation of physiological, psychological, emotional, environmental, and chemical stress:" Stress has both a localized and a systemic effect. Every type of stress has a systemic impact on the body; this impact isn't limited to the structures involved directly in the "stressful event." This systemic impact is caused by the release of stress hormones (glucocorticoids like cortisol for example) and an overexertion of the adrenal glands.

So every single type of stressor out there can contribute to the onset of an overtraining state. Job troubles, tension in a relationship, death in the family, pollutants and chemicals in the air we breathe, the food we eat or the water we drink, etc. can all contribute to overtraining. Training too much is obviously another stress factor that can facilitate the onset of the overtraining state, but it's far from being the sole murder suspect.

"Leads to a sustained decrease in physical and mental performance:" The key term here is sustained. Some people will have a few sub par workouts and will automatically assume they're overtraining. Not the case. It could simply be acute or accumulated fatigue due to poor recovery management or a deficient dietary approach.

A real overtraining state/syndrome takes months of excessive stress to build up. And when someone reaches that state, it'll take several weeks (even several months) of rest and recovery measures to get back to a "normal" physiological state. If a few days of rest or active rest can get your performance back up to par, you weren't overtraining. You probably suffered from some fatigue accumulation, that's all.

Worst case scenario, you might enter an overreaching state (a transient form of overtraining). Reaching that point will normally take 10-14 days of rest and active rest to get back up to normal. Overreaching can actually be used as a training tool since the body normally surcompensates (with rest) following overreaching. Elite athletes often include periods of drastic training stress increases followed by a 10-14 day taper to reach a peak performance level on a certain date.

"That requires a relatively long recovery period:" As we already mentioned, reaching a true overtraining state takes a long period of excessive stress and requires a long period of recovery. The following graphic illustrates the various steps toward the onset of an overtraining state as well as the recovery period needed to get out of these different levels.

The spectrum goes from acute fatigue, which is the normal fatigue caused by a very intense/demanding workout, right up to a true overtraining state. In all my life, I've seen two cases of real overtraining. In both cases this happened to two high level athletes right after the Olympic Games (accumulation of the super intense training, the stress of qualifying for the Olympics, and the stress of the Olympics themselves).

Understand that most international level athletes will train close to 30-40 hours per week. Obviously not all of that is spent in the gym; they also have their sport practice, speed and agility work, conditioning work, etc., but these still represent a physiological stress. Yet rarely will these athletes reach a true overtraining state.

How could training for a total of five or six hours per week cause overtraining? Fatigue, yes, mostly due to improper recovery management, a very low level of general physical preparation (conditioning level), or a mediocre work capacity.

To paraphrase Louie Simmons, North American athletes are out of shape. Being out of shape (low level of general preparedness or conditioning) means you can't recover well from a high volume of work. But the more work you can perform, without going beyond your capacity to recover, the more you'll progress. So in that regard, poor work capacity can be the real problem behind lack of gains from a program.

By continually avoiding performing a high level of physical work, you'll never increase your work capacity and will suffer from accumulated fatigue as soon as you increase your training stress ever so slightly. Obviously, the solution isn't to jump into mega-volume training, but to gradually include more GPP work as well as periods of increased training stress that will increase in duration and frequency over time.

Ask any of my clients — they must all go through four-week phases of very high volume work interlaced between phases of "normal" volume training (or even phases of low volume). And as they progress through the system, the high volume phases will become more frequent (as their work capacity improves) or last longer.

UKNoko

UKNoko

Awards
If you're knocking that out in about an hour, then it must not be that heavy in comparison to your 1RM. Warming up and the squats alone would take about 30 minutes.
True. He said heavy. Heavy for me means between 5RM and 1RM. If it's lighter weight I would think that it doesn't justify week long soreness unless he has a screwed up diet.

Viagra69 what's your macros breakdown and daily cals intake? Your proteins should be higher at about 2g per lb, IMHO.

viagra69

Awards
warm up would be already done before i start, streaching rowing machine and light leg extentions before i sart my workout which takes about an hour this takes about 10 mins then its stright into squats maybe i need to warm up more not sure on this one.i also should have included that my upper body recovers much quicker than my legs at 3 to 4 days while legs are 7 to 8 days

viagra69

Awards
thanks for the thoughts on this one lads so heres generaly what my day looks like in the food department
wake up 8am 6grams of l-glutamine
8.20 27grams of porridge some rasins and some natual honey,i find it hard to eat early in the day hence 27grams porridge
8.45 protein shake 39grams protein 29grams carbs 7grams fat

this fills me until about 1 o clock then its a small dinner whatever is in the fridge big chicken breast with rice or pasta not sure of how much carbs but i put the chicken breast in at about 35grams protein there 200gram breasts before there cooked or else its a piece of fish with rice or pasta about the same in protein normaly have a handfull of mixed nuts after this feed

about 4 its a sandwich chicken cheese and ham on brown bread or whatever is in the fridge along the lines of above

about 5 its 5grams of l-glutamine followed by pre workout drink after about 15mins then its off to the gym
train then about 6.30 gym is done 3 bcaa tablets and go for a swim sauna after about 15 mins its a protein shake same type as morning

normaly home for about 7.30 then its a big dinner meat veg potatoes pasta or stew whatever is for dinner but good ouality food home cooked

before i go to bed then its either protein shake or eggs if eggs its 2 whole eggs plus 5 whites
probably be a bit of fruit bananna apple or orange thrown in during the day not realy a sweets or choclate fan

willc86

Awards
Dam, this is getting a bit tad confusing now. lol. I go heavy on all my sets. and I do a lot of legs

squats
leg extension
leg presses
leg curls
2 calf machine
hamstring
DB lounges

usually about 4 sets on each and the last 2 sets are usually heavy hitting about 6-7 reps and I do add weight each time.

And seems like you are eating right to me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Define "heavy" and I don't mean the actual weight. I mean approximately what percentage of your 1RM are you doing for these working sets.

UKNoko

UKNoko

Awards
Not taking out calculator, but you seem like you're on a weighloss diet. Do yourself a favour and actually count all calories and macros you get daily for few days.
What's your weight (you mentioned something about 180lb?), bf%, height, age?

thanks for the thoughts on this one lads so heres generaly what my day looks like in the food department
wake up 8am 6grams of l-glutamine
8.20 27grams of porridge some rasins and some natual honey,i find it hard to eat early in the day hence 27grams porridge
8.45 protein shake 39grams protein 29grams carbs 7grams fat

this fills me until about 1 o clock then its a small dinner whatever is in the fridge big chicken breast with rice or pasta not sure of how much carbs but i put the chicken breast in at about 35grams protein there 200gram breasts before there cooked or else its a piece of fish with rice or pasta about the same in protein normaly have a handfull of mixed nuts after this feed

about 4 its a sandwich chicken cheese and ham on brown bread or whatever is in the fridge along the lines of above

about 5 its 5grams of l-glutamine followed by pre workout drink after about 15mins then its off to the gym
train then about 6.30 gym is done 3 bcaa tablets and go for a swim sauna after about 15 mins its a protein shake same type as morning

normaly home for about 7.30 then its a big dinner meat veg potatoes pasta or stew whatever is for dinner but good ouality food home cooked

before i go to bed then its either protein shake or eggs if eggs its 2 whole eggs plus 5 whites
probably be a bit of fruit bananna apple or orange thrown in during the day not realy a sweets or choclate fan