Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.83%
    Achievements Posting Pro

No Gym, Please Help Me

Hello Gentlemen,

I am currently in a situation that does not allow me to go to a gym and use the weight room. But, what I do have is one of those adjustable dumbbell things (5-25 lbs), I have reasonable amounts of free time, and a lot of motivation to do something.

Do you guys know of any iso-lateral, or body weightish type of movements to do? I'd ideally like to hit all parts of my body the same way I would if I was in the gym with real weights.

Any help is appreciated guys. I want to put together a routine to follow. I know it won't compare to heavy free weights, but this is what I have to work with, so I have to be resourceful.

I'm currently looking for a cheap bench that folds so I could do Flys and stuff like that.

THANKS!

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.7%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

give me a minute, i have a good link for you...
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.7%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

home-gym-bodybuilding.com
    www.lgsciences.com
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.05%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Mind if we ask the situation?

You can do a lot of different body weight stuff on playgrounds (sounds dumb but can work)
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.53%
    Achievements Posting ProActivity Pro

Bro, I won't give you a bunch of advice on dumbbells and things like that. But, I too trained for a few years on weights, then had to go 2 years with no weights, then back to weights. When I made it back to weights my transition was not very rough and I was able to maintain quite a bit of strength doing some of the following exercises:

Pushups, lots of them, varying intensity. Often 500-1000 reps over a period of sets. Sometimes as Little as 200 reps with very little rest

Dips (if you don't have a dip bar then do them in a chair, off of a table, whatever)

Vertical Pushups (handstand pushups) whatever you prefer to call them. Will develop a lot of shoulder strength and develop your traps as well. Again vary your hand positioning.

Have access to a park? an area where there are monkey bars and you can get on them without being a creep? If so do all variations of pullups.

Good luck, I am sure those plus what you can do with dumbbells will actually surprise you if you push yourself appropriately.
    Orbit Nutrition Representative

http://www.orbitnutrition.com
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.83%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech
    home-gym-bodybuilding.com
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.83%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Grambo
    Mind if we ask the situation?

You can do a lot of different body weight stuff on playgrounds (sounds dumb but can work)
    I don't mind. I am drawing against debt due to school loans and low income. So, the gym is a luxury right now.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.83%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kBrown
    Bro, I won't give you a bunch of advice on dumbbells and things like that. But, I too trained for a few years on weights, then had to go 2 years with no weights, then back to weights. When I made it back to weights my transition was not very rough and I was able to maintain quite a bit of strength doing some of the following exercises:

Pushups, lots of them, varying intensity. Often 500-1000 reps over a period of sets. Sometimes as Little as 200 reps with very little rest

Dips (if you don't have a dip bar then do them in a chair, off of a table, whatever)

Vertical Pushups (handstand pushups) whatever you prefer to call them. Will develop a lot of shoulder strength and develop your traps as well. Again vary your hand positioning.

Have access to a park? an area where there are monkey bars and you can get on them without being a creep? If so do all variations of pullups.

Good luck, I am sure those plus what you can do with dumbbells will actually surprise you if you push yourself appropriately.
    No park access, but I can try the other stuff.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.05%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
    I don't mind. I am drawing against debt due to school loans and low income. So, the gym is a luxury right now.
    Understand how it goes.

Not the access or how things are in Sacremento but if there is a YMCA around you most will work with low income people and make deals for almost nothing. At least worth a look into.

I guess if not google around for High Intensity DB workouts. Could also build a cheap sandbag and get some pretty sweet home workouts with that.
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.7%

in my younger not so furtunate days i used galvanized pipe and bricks, pillow cases full of sand....
    www.lgsciences.com
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.53%

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    in my younger not so furtunate days i used galvanized pipe and bricks, pillow cases full of sand....
    in my jail house days we used trash bags filled with water and rolled up newspaper in a sock as a handle

12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.1%

Well not proud of it but started getting in shape in jail(dui)anyway like the others side on the dips,pull-ups,ect for bodyweight.
    You can use a bucket of water,sand for curls,extensions and a old tire tube and some zippy ties,glue will make a sandbag for alot of different exercises.

A back-pack with weight in it for push-ups,pull-ups will do your back alright,as for your legs sprints and and anything really heavy(motor block)for deadlifts
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.83%
    Achievements Posting Pro

How would you guys put together a routine?
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.53%

Monday: Pushups
    Tuesday: Curls (Waterbag, sandbag, bag with books in it). Just nice slow reps and tight squeeze at the peak.
    Wed: Cardio Day
    Thursday: Squats
    Friday: Vertical Pushups--for your shoulders and traps. Can also throw in Dips, off of a chair
    Satuday: Cardio (jumping jacks, jogging, etc etc). Punching bag?

15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.38%

Pushup is the most under rated chest workout