The Iron Man Thread - Bench Training / Journal

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Alright everyone, first off I am new here. This will be my thread.

First, don't get it confused. I am not new to forums and I may or may not be remaining here. I wanted to check it out and see what sort of community and sponsors are here and see what opportunities may await me. That being said, shoot me a PM if you have any questions or concerns.

I will be running this thread and outlining some of my training routines, dieting ideas, all the in-betweens. However, remember I train for heavy bench press that is my competitive category. I plan to hop into the bodybuilding arena over the next 2 years, so my routines will be slowly changing to reflect that. I just finished the past 10 weeks of very HEAVY training and over the next 6 weeks I will be running a more high rep routine.

Below I shall post some Pictures and videos of my lifts. If you want to talk business PM me, if you want to discuss training don't be afraid to post. Also if you seek references I come from IM--again PM me...

Well it won't let me submit pics or videos...so WAIT patiently :)

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright everyone, first off I am new here. This will be my thread.

First, don't get it confused. I am not new to forums and I may or may not be remaining here. I wanted to check it out and see what sort of community and sponsors are here and see what opportunities may await me. That being said, shoot me a PM if you have any questions or concerns.

I will be running this thread and outlining some of my training routines, dieting ideas, all the in-betweens. However, remember I train for heavy bench press that is my competitive category. I plan to hop into the bodybuilding arena over the next 2 years, so my routines will be slowly changing to reflect that. I just finished the past 10 weeks of very HEAVY training and over the next 6 weeks I will be running a more high rep routine.

Below I shall post some Pictures and videos of my lifts. If you want to talk business PM me, if you want to discuss training don't be afraid to post. Also if you seek references I come from IM--again PM me...

Well it won't let me submit pics or videos...so WAIT patiently :)
Are You a powerlifter?? Do You compete in all 3 lifts or just the bench press?? What are your PRs??

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
I am not a power lifter--there is no competitive environment where I am. When I move I will go to meets (moving to the Columbus area).

Right now I am only competitive in the Bench Press, my others are lacking due to my own slack--a fact I readily aknowledge and am working to fix. The environment I trained in for years before only really valued biceps, Bench, and upper back--long story.

My PR is quite recent-- I probably should have been 5-10lbs lighter and kept it a bit tighter. But, that is okay.
PR = Flat Bench 425lbs.

Oh. and I have everything recorded, and pictures. I am not some keyboard lifter.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Did a short jog a bit ago. I keep the cardio to a minimum, not in this to lose weight. But, it is important to do SOME cardio.
Perfect temperature outside, threw on some good tunes and went for a lil jog.
Now time to go to bed, up at 8am...

For my last little meal some beans and a protein shake with milk.
I cheat a little and get those honey bbq flavored beans...the extra calories are worth the flavor :)

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Monday, national chest day.
Will be doing 315 for some reps today. Curious how it goes. Haven't lifted in 8 days and week of that was straight drinking (was on spring break in panama) .

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Going for a run, then a protein shake + Tuna bagel for a snack.
Then the gym tonight around 6:30pm

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Chest Day...not a bad first day back. Significant strength decrease I think, but then again maybe not. Just a different type of workout...
First...flat bench, my fav.

Warmup:
135lbs- 10 reps
225lbs - 10 reps
Working Sets:
335lbs- 12 reps
325lbs- 11 reps
315lbs- 9 reps

Incline Bench
245lbs- 9 reps ---not acceptable, had to dig deep for my next set.
245lbs- 11 reps ---better
225lbs- 11 reps

DB Flat bench:
100lbs- 9 reps
100lbs- 10 reps

Pushups, little rest- 3 people lined up in a row, 1 goes, then next, then next, then start over.
Sets 1-3 = 10, 20, 30, reps
Sets 4-5 = 10 , then 15 reps.
done.

Supposed to do stomach, but didn't get to it.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
I just got negged for saying "anadrol is a bulking compound"
And was told "I don't know ****"
Wow, real quality members in this community. I wonder if that individual, judging by his pic can even lift 10lbs.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I just got negged for saying "anadrol is a bulking compound"
And was told "I don't know ****"
Wow, real quality members in this community. I wonder if that individual, judging by his pic can even lift 10lbs.
Don't sweat it, we're all here to learn and share experiences and info. Some act like asses sometimes, egos and attitiudes fueled by high test levels= quick to jump the gun. (I've been guilty at times myself). ;-)

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Don't sweat it, we're all here to learn and share experiences and info. Some act like asses sometimes, egos and attitiudes fueled by high test levels= quick to jump the gun. (I've been guilty at times myself). ;-)
I feel you its just annoying. I am a new member and I actually have something to contribute to this community instead of making threads that say "help me lift" or "what drugs should I use" and when I comment that Anadrol is a bulking compound and if someone is trying to "lean bulk" I get negged for saying anadrol is not the best drug for his goals and am told I am a piece of **** and know nothing lol

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I feel you its just annoying. I am a new member and I actually have something to contribute to this community instead of making threads that say "help me lift" or "what drugs should I use" and when I comment that Anadrol is a bulking compound and if someone is trying to "lean bulk" I get negged for saying anadrol is not the best drug for his goals and am told I am a piece of **** and know nothing lol
Well you can always report abusive behavior. An argument or heated discussion is one thing but that sounds like a total dik move. Trust me if it was truly innapropriate they will get a forum infraction or worse (been there too! Lol)

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
If you make a statement regarding a compound you should back it up with reasons and/or information as well. Not sure if you did or didn't

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Well you can always report abusive behavior. An argument or heated discussion is one thing but that sounds like a total dik move. Trust me if it was truly innapropriate they will get a forum infraction or worse (been there too! Lol)
blah, I will just stick to my own thread for a bit and leave it at that. Screw scrolling through the threads trying to give advice to beginners only to get told I am an idiot lol.

Anyway, Another 10 posts I will have some videos posted.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Back day, am pretty excited.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established

Click image, drop set video from a bit ago.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established

PR, recent.
Probably a little to heavy, came down the last half inch a bit too hard. but, it wasn't too bad.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established

me. Bulky, this next 5 weeks I will be working on cutting it up a bit.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Yesterdays (3/26) lift

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Back Day

BB Rows
Warmup:
135lbs - 10 reps
135lbs - 5 reps
Working Sets:
185lbs - 12 reps
185lbs - 15 reps
185lbs - 18 reps (a bit sloppy)
185lbs - 5 reps - 10 sec rest - 5 reps 10 sec rest - 4 reps

Bulldogs (commonly known as T-Bar rows) 3 plates for me.
12 reps
12 reps
19 reps

Pulldown, wide grip, behind the neck
140lbs - 12 reps
120lbs - 16 reps + 4 reps with spot
120lbs - 10 reps + 7 with spot

DB pullovers
85lbs - 10 reps
85lbs - 13 reps
85lbs - 6 reps then 75lbs for 10 reps

Smith Shrugs
225lbs - 15 reps
225lbs - 15 reps
245lbs- 12 reps
245lbs - 11 reps

then about 30 mins of stomach exercises.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Last nights dinner was delicious. Chicken Caesar Salad, cooked the chicken with just a bit of worscishire sauce.
Wow, woke up this morning quite stiff. Today is kind of an 'off' day. We will be doing some biceps and a bit more stomach.
Will post routine later tonight. We don't workout until 6pm.

Right now its 8am, I am drinking a 50 calorie protein shake. in about 30 minutes from now I will eat breakfast...Probably just oatmeal today.

Lunch will be a chicken and ham sandwhich (around 12 or 1) when I get home at 4 I will probably cook up some tuna melts. Then I eat a final dinner around 8pm or so.

I won't be posting diet habits everyday, they are usually the same...gets boring to hear.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Random Rant...

You know it has always amused me that people find it so unacceptable to do 7, 9, or 11 reps. some would prefer to stop at 6 because they can't do 8...and for some reason 7 is just overlooked. Those damn odd numbers!!! This may be news for some, but a rep is a rep and your muscles damn sure don't know the difference between odd and even numbers. Push that rep out. Hell while I am thinking about 9.5 is perfectly acceptable too...a half rep is better than no rep.

that being said, stop limited your reps by multiples of two and just push em out.

Thats all i got, go get big.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man that's a scary bench. I might suggest tossing some unilateral work into the mix towards the end. Something like single arm incline DB presses, DB rows, etc. Might also want to use some rotator cuff and lower trap work (prehab type stuff) in your core circuit at the end...Keep everything healthy and moving smooth.

Br

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Man that's a scary bench. I might suggest tossing some unilateral work into the mix towards the end. Something like single arm incline DB presses, DB rows, etc. Might also want to use some rotator cuff and lower trap work (prehab type stuff) in your core circuit at the end...Keep everything healthy and moving smooth.

Br
Yeah my upper body is monster, working to get the lower on par. now I am trying to get into the competitive scene i need to work on it (it doesn't look small by any means just not as powerful as my top).

i will throw in some unilateral work next week, didn't even really think about it but we do none... for the previous ten weeks we were lifting all heavy (4-6 rep ranges, heavy weight) now that I am lightening things up a bit untilaterals become a more realistic possibility. Will see how I can incorporate them (e.g. unilateral db shoulder press towards the end on shoulder days). never tried a unilateral db press, will give that whirl too.

I never directly work the rotator, will look into that. Thanks for the tips!

UKNoko

UKNoko

Awards
425 PR woo... Crazy! How long did it take you to build up to that?

Welcome to forums and keep posting!

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
425 PR woo... Crazy! How long did it take you to build up to that?

Welcome to forums and keep posting!
thanks for the welcome. I may be sticking around. still getting a feel for the community here.

I have been lifting for over 10 years.

Within the past 6 months I have decided I want to start competing, so am working towards that end now.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Wed... Bicep day.

Now biceps have been tricky for me. I had an injured arm for quite some time and it is just now (in the past two weeks) getting better. The injury lasted about 15 weeks. So, my bicep routine is a bit weak. However, it will be interesting to watch it progress over the next few weeks.
Unfortunately over the next few weeks I will be not doing any heavy weights. Pre-injury I used to curl 135lbs barbell with pretty good form for a descent amount of reps. So my goal will be to work back up to that with strict form (however I do not want to push it and have that injury crop back up, because that was a rough time and made many of my workouts miserable).
Warmup:
DB 50lbs single arm curl (then the other arm).
Set 1: 50lbs - 6 reps.
Set 2: 50lbs - 5 reps.

Working Sets:
Barbell curl (the preloaded straight curl bar)
70lbs, 3 sets of 12 reps.

Barbell 21s
50lbs - 1 set
70lbs - 2 sets

Preacher Curl
65lbs- 12 reps
65lbs- 12 reps

Cable Machine curl
52.5 lbs
Set 1 - 15 reps
Set 2 - 15 reps
Set 3 - 12 reps

Reverse Barbell Curl
30lbs - 3 sets of 12 reps.

Cybex Abs - 15 reps per set
LBS
110lbs

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Shoulders / Triceps tonight.
3 more hours! Whoot.

My triceps are still tore up from Monday, but I will play it by ear.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Shoulder Day... Thursday.

Standing Military Press:
135lbs - 12 reps
135lbs - 12 reps
145lbs - 12 reps
155lbs - 15 reps
165lbs- 15 reps
165lbs - 20 reps

Smith Shoulder Press
225lbs - 2 sets of 12 reps

DB Press Super set with Smith Upright Rows
65lbs - 12 reps (2 sets) + 90lbs 2 sets 12 reps

Front Raise Then Side Raise 15lbs
10 + 10
10 + 10

Dips:
50 reps
20 reps
10 reps

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Subbed. How dos yu hurt ya bicep? Deads?

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Subbed. How dos yu hurt ya bicep? Deads?
Actually not really sure. It like developed in the span of 3 days and kept getting worse.
I believe my arm got over extended in a machine-cable preacher curl thing lol
It was bad and I just worked through it for the past 10 weeks. I took 3 weeks off from training and it just did not heal.

In any case it seems to be healed now (almost 14 weeks later), but am not pushing it on any bicep workouts for a while--not like I can anyway because I am doing 5 weeks of volume.

oh, and thanks for joining the thread, not a whole lot of people have managed to drop a line.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Its cuz yur new.. Jus keep up the good work. Yur solid lookin and deff pushin some serious weight

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Btw rest is te best thing for injuries.. Taking a lil while off the gym is the best feeling when yu back in there nice and rested.. Like I been going to gym 5x week for a while now but woke up feeling a lil sick and half way through my workout I jus crashed hard. Coudlnt grind out those last few reps like i usually do..Felt like I was gnna die.. So ima sleep in tomorrow an Saturday and jus bum it out all weekend and crush the weights on Sunday

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
I get plenty of wrest bud,
just took a week off.
Rest is very important we make sure we get it :)

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Good. What's yur cycle history look like?

UKNoko

UKNoko

Awards
thanks for the welcome. I may be sticking around. still getting a feel for the community here.

I have been lifting for over 10 years.

Within the past 6 months I have decided I want to start competing, so am working towards that end now.
10 years. Nice.
I'm looking at your workouts. That's some solid volume. Good stuff!

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually not really sure. It like developed in the span of 3 days and kept getting worse.
I believe my arm got over extended in a machine-cable preacher curl thing lol
It was bad and I just worked through it for the past 10 weeks. I took 3 weeks off from training and it just did not heal.

In any case it seems to be healed now (almost 14 weeks later), but am not pushing it on any bicep workouts for a while--not like I can anyway because I am doing 5 weeks of volume.

oh, and thanks for joining the thread, not a whole lot of people have managed to drop a line.
Could be tendonitis.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Could be tendonitis.
Perhaps, I am very sure it was an injury though. In any case it seems to be gone now. BUt, I am not gonna push it too hard yet and risk bringing it back. Whatever it was made many of my workouts hell

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
10 years. Nice.
I'm looking at your workouts. That's some solid volume. Good stuff!
Thanks.
I am not a big fan of volume, but have to switch it up and hopefully I will see some descent gains over the next 5 weeks. After the 5 weeks I will go back to the heavy weights.

UKNoko

UKNoko

Awards
Thanks.
I am not a big fan of volume, but have to switch it up and hopefully I will see some descent gains over the next 5 weeks. After the 5 weeks I will go back to the heavy weights.
And how do you find it working? I need to switch around my training for next few weeks and was looking into doing some variation of GVT.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
And how do you find it working? I need to switch around my training for next few weeks and was looking into doing some variation of GVT.
It isn't bad, like you indicated you cant do the same routine forever, have to switch it up.
I am getting very sore from the volume workouts, and it is only week 1 so I can not judge growth. I can say that I do not find it as satisfying as heavy training.
However, over a few weeks I may grow to like it more because I will keep my sets progressive and increase the weight per week.

UKNoko

UKNoko

Awards
It isn't bad, like you indicated you cant do the same routine forever, have to switch it up.
I am getting very sore from the volume workouts, and it is only week 1 so I can not judge growth. I can say that I do not find it as satisfying as heavy training.
However, over a few weeks I may grow to like it more because I will keep my sets progressive and increase the weight per week.
Yeah, I love to go as heavy as it's currently possible for me. But I got to decide on the new routine for next month anyway.

After few weeks your switching back to heavy?
I'll keep looking at your log to see how this works out for you.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I love to go as heavy as it's currently possible for me. But I got to decide on the new routine for next month anyway.

After few weeks your switching back to heavy?
I'll keep looking at your log to see how this works out for you.
Finishing up week 1 right now of volume...only have deadlifts to do. So, 4 more weeks of volume training then back to heavy.
Will be an interesting 4 weeks.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Squat Day

Barbell Squat
135lbs - 10 sets of 10 reps

Leg Curls
150 lbs - 3 sets of 15 reps

Calf Raises

mile walk to gym, and back. Loosened me up.

Nothing special, nor heavy. But, those 100 squats--even at that light weight--put a hurting on me

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Another day of reps... I am aching all over. Probably should have saved Deadlifts for Sunday but did not want my back to be too tight before doing chest--wanted to be as fresh as possible

Anyway obviously I kept it pretty low, but rest between sets pretty short:
Deadlifts: 155lbs - 10x10 (100 reps)

Stomach Cybex machine 100lbs - 10x10

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
My body aches terribly.
Looking forward to chest tomorrow !

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Woke up this morning, house freezing, and I must say I am just as sore I was yesterday. At least my upper body is well rested, but my lower is screaming still

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Okay boys, today's workout was a miserable failure. And I feel like complete death after lifting. We cut it short and will probably hit chest again thursday (weighted dips and pushups) because today simply sucked. However I stuck with the routine as much as possible--but I did not succeed in one single lift!

Warmup: 135lbs - 10 reps
225lbs - 10 reps
315lbs - 1 rep

Working Sets: the + # means that I received a spot for the reps after the + sign

355lbs (6 reps + 4 reps). I thought for sure I would get 10, but no where close. I am not sure if it was because the 20lbs jump was too much or just an 'off' day because of well any number of things (perhaps deadlifts on Saturday was a bad idea).

335lbs: 7 reps + 4 reps

325lbs: 6 reps + 4 reps

315lbs: 4 reps + 3 reps -- rest + 2 reps

This was HORRIBLE! Next week I will use the same weights and try to get more reps each set...

Incline bench:
250lbs: 8 + 2 reps
245lbs: 8 + 2 reps

At this point we said screw it...we felt like crap and were discouraged as hell. Live to fight another day. Will do heavy dips Thursday to try to hit the chest again

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
maybe doing Deadlifts on Saturday is a bad idea... Hell we were still sore on Monday... Even though it isn't chest, maybe just being fatigued took a lil gas from us...maybe i am just looking for excuses