Hypertrophy and bodybuilding

TomGreen

TomGreen

Awards
For the longest time i have worked out with emphasis on being able to lift a lot of weight and wanting a big bench and deadlift etc. This is odd because i care nothing of powerlifting but love bodybuilding and want to look like a classic bodybuilder (zane, mentzer, scott, arnold). I no longer want to focus on the amount of weight i am doing, or workout with having a big bench press be my goal, but only workout for hypertrophy and muscle mass. ( i do realize that strength and mass go hand in hand but there is a differece) Does anyone know good workouts for accomplishing this? I have switched up a little already by doing arms seperately and using trisets and supersets. But as far as chest and back go what are good? is it better to start with flys or something instead of bench, or do more incline etc? any tips, advice, or links to good workout programs would be great.

BriceBurnsRed

Awards
anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/189614-lots-programs.html

First This ^ Lots of Programs for Lots of Goalsets.

Second, I personally just started PHAT training, as was suggested by a few other guys here on AM. It's a hypertrophy based program that has given others some great results, I'm on week one so I can't speak for it yet, but I do like the training.

simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

(sorry couldn't post as links, >50 posts :( )

TomGreen

TomGreen

Awards
hey thanks man. iv been doing a similar style workout for a long time, i love it and get great results but i just need to mix it up for a while. so appreciate the articles

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I've been expiermenting or trying to at least to see what works best for me.

I hear people say try and life heavy, others say get 8-12 reps in... Some say screw the weigt do high reps....

1 thing is strength typically adds size to most people, although I have seen some small people with amazing strength...

By the general lifter population, do lighter weights for more sets and rep build muscle or should a person still lift moderator heavy and try and get those 8 reps?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards

I hear people say try and life heavy, others say get 8-12 reps in... Some say screw the weigt do high reps....

1 thing is strength typically adds size to most people, although I have seen some small people with amazing strength...

By the general lifter population, do lighter weights for more sets and rep build muscle or should a person still lift moderator heavy and try and get those 8 reps?
What are the goals? Strength?hypertrophy?fat loss?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
What are the goals? Strength?hypertrophy?fat loss?
There should be a happy medium... I wouldn't expect brute strength... But should be gaining some strength.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established

eh dont really agree with that..thats what was programmed in my head since high school football..heavy weight low reps for strength and low weight high reps for size..i think theres only slight truth to that mindset..for pure hypertrophy yu want more volume,which can be confused for "high reps" but its different..volume is amount of sets..if your doing light weight its not putting enough tension on the muscle..reps vary from person to person for optimal growth. i usually stay between 8-12...so basically add volume and use moderate weight corresponding to your one rep max

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
eh dont really agree with that..thats what was programmed in my head since high school football..heavy weight low reps for strength and low weight high reps for size..i think theres only slight truth to that mindset..for pure hypertrophy yu want more volume,which can be confused for "high reps" but its different..volume is amount of sets..if your doing light weight its not putting enough tension on the muscle..reps vary from person to person for optimal growth. i usually stay between 8-12...so basically add volume and use moderate weight corresponding to your one rep max
That's the happy medium. ;)

I will be trying do 5 sets of 8-12 reps...

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Volume may have something to do with it. Personally, I always lift heavy and do five working sets per exercise. Each set is loaded so I can do only six reps on the first set. I've found that, by the time set five rolls around - I hard FAIL on that fifth rep.

Since I'm an old fugger - I do about two "warm up" sets per exercise before I get into working sets.

I try to do at least three exercises per body part, and it's mostly all compound moves.

For instance ... I treat chest and shoulders as one unit and the workout looks a bit like this ...

1. 5X5 Bench

2. 5X5 Overhead press (and after each set I hit the butterfly machine for about 12 reps to keep the chest pumped).

3. 5X5 Incline Bench (and after each set I hit the butterfly machine for about 10 heavy reps).

4. 5X5 Dumbell Flies with 55 lb DB.

6. 5X5 Decline Machine ... by this time I'm pretty tired and don't like being on a decline bench with a barbell so I go for the machine.

That's 25 sets and almost all of those work both shoulders and chest in some fashion.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Everyone's different. .. Gotta play around with the numbers ..like doing a backwards pyramid at 80% of my one rep max each set dropping 5% with 45 seconds in between sets

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
This^^^^

And IMO ur always gonna need Bench press in ur chest routine. But don't make it ur main focus every chest day. I believe incline beech press can be more beneficial, at times too. And DBs are a good alternate to focus on.

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
I think the easiest way to put hypertrophy into the simplest break down. If you want size - lift to failure. If you curl 20 pounds 50 times and can't lift it anymore, possibly the same as lifting 50 pounds 20 times and can't lift it anymore. Go to failure and you'll see size.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
For optimal hypertrophy you'd want to train for both sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy; using both high and low reps.

DC training trains both by utilizing the rest pause if you haven't tried it yet. DC or HST is what I would recommend for you at this point.

I use the conjugate method (westside). I recently changed the ME upper body for RE upper body using 15 reps per set and I have already noticed a difference in how I feel.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
For optimal hypertrophy you'd want to train for both sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy; using both high and low reps.

DC training trains both by utilizing the rest pause if you haven't tried it yet. DC or HST is what I would recommend for you at this point.

I use the conjugate method (westside). I recently changed the ME upper body for RE upper body using 15 reps per set and I have already noticed a difference in how I feel.
Poliquin