Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

ive hit the plateau....HELP!!!

don't understand how I've plateaued, every 3 weeks I change my workout up with different reps, rest, and weight but yet I maxed today and I have plateaued.....advice??

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Are you training specifically for strength?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Are you training specifically for strength?
    strength and size...I do powerlifting in the mornings and in the evenings I do body building and focus on one muscle a day and stay away from over training the same muscle that I did in power lifting...
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by the gym rat View Post
    strength and size...I do powerlifting in the mornings and in the evenings I do body building and focus on one muscle a day and stay away from over training the same muscle that I did in power lifting...
    You have a bit of a misunderstanding. Powerlifting does not train a muscle; it trains a movement. For example, the bench press in BB'ing focuses on the chest, but the bench press in PL'ing encompasses the entire body from the calves to the traps.

Also, your PL workout should encompass assistance work to adress weak points, increase muscle, and maintain balance. In short, your template is probably messed up.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

You have a bit of a misunderstanding. Powerlifting does not train a muscle; it trains a movement. For example, the bench press in BB'ing focuses on the chest, but the bench press in PL'ing encompasses the entire body from the calves to the traps.

Also, your PL workout should encompass assistance work to adress weak points, increase muscle, and maintain balance. In short, your template is probably messed up.
    no I know what your saying, what I'm saying is I try to not train calves, hamstrings, or guards when I trained cleans or deads that day
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%

no I know what your saying, what I'm saying is I try to not train calves, hamstrings, or guards when I trained cleans or deads that day
    What is your exact template? It seems all over the place.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    What is your exact template? It seems all over the place.
    I really dont have the patience to log my entire 3 week temp on here, not to be an ass, but i just dont have the time in the day to do so..
    Basically in the mornings ill do power clean, hang clean, SL Squats, Split Jerk, and dead lift on seperate day in order monday - friday...then in the evenings i do an individual muscle each day, chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs in that order monday - friday.....every 3 weeks i mix up the specific workouts in the evenings and i mix up the ammount of reps and rest in between in hopes that i dont plateau and on the 4th week i max out...This is the first time i have hit a plateau in almost a year and i dont understand why because i never do the same reps and same workouts within a 9 week period
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%

The mixing of Oly lifts with BB'ing doesn't make a lot of sense, but, then again, neither does worrying about not increasing your 1RM in this instance.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

The mixing of Oly lifts with BB'ing doesn't make a lot of sense, but, then again, neither does worrying about not increasing your 1RM in this instance.
    I feel that Olympic lifting and body building is a great mix for size, strength, and explosiveness...regardless of my workout routine, I am asking about something to help me get past this plateau, not scrutiny for doing two different style lifts
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%

I feel that Olympic lifting and body building is a great mix for size, strength, and explosiveness...regardless of my workout routine, I am asking about something to help me get past this plateau, not scrutiny for doing two different style lifts
    You completely missed the point. Proper programming is essential for continued progress and your program is far from essential. No person can make educated recommendations when you refuse to put your exact template down and any suggestion is just a shot in the dark.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

And thence the need for periodization or blocking to focus on improving only a few aspects of fitness at a single time. Trying to do everything at once yields little.

Further, when was the last time an unloading week was taken?

Br
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    And thence the need for periodization or blocking to focus on improving only a few aspects of fitness at a single time. Trying to do everything at once yields little.

Further, when was the last time an unloading week was taken?

Br
    still new to this forum thing and lifting terms....what do you mean by blocking and unloading?
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

Blocking or periodization is taking a pre-specified amount of time and focusing on improving 1 or 2 aspects of fitness/performance. This could be 3 weeks dedicated to hypertrophy, strength, power, lateral strength, etc. etc.

Unloading refers to taking a period of time (generally a week) where volume, frequency, and/or intensity are reduced to allow for recovery and supracompensation (adaptation and gains)

Br
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.47%

Quote Originally Posted by the gym rat

still new to this forum thing and lifting terms....what do you mean by blocking and unloading?
    Unloading means doing light weight.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.47%

Blocking or periodization is taking a pre-specified amount of time and focusing on improving 1 or 2 aspects of fitness/performance. This could be 3 weeks dedicated to hypertrophy, strength, power, lateral strength, etc. etc.

Unloading refers to taking a period of time (generally a week) where volume, frequency, and/or intensity are reduced to allow for recovery and supracompensation (adaptation and gains)

Br
    My bad same time.
    And better said
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

Br
    what you say makes sense but wouldn't I lose both size and strength ??
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%

what you say makes sense but wouldn't I lose both size and strength ??
    Deloading/unloading is essential for joints and the CNS. You will not lose size and strength in a 1-2 week period.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

Deloading/unloading is essential for joints and the CNS. You will not lose size and strength in a 1-2 week period.
    I understand what your saying...thing is...I have a lifting competition march 31 and if I take 2 weeks to unload that leaves me with the week of to get ready...what do you recommend ?
  19. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%

What are the lifts?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

What are the lifts?
    bench and squat
  21. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%

bench and squat
    My recommendation is to just do the event and have modest expectations. After that, train appropriately for the event. Doing Oly lifting 5x/week and doing BB'ing in the evenings is not the way to improve your numbers. If you're competing in PL'ing, then train like a PL'er.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.47%

Have you ever tried negatives?
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

I understand what your saying...thing is...I have a lifting competition march 31 and if I take 2 weeks to unload that leaves me with the week of to get ready...what do you recommend ?
    This should highlight the need for better planning/programming.

You don't need to unload for 2 weeks...nor will you lose size or strength when you unload. The idea is to maintain motor programing while allowing for recovery and adaptation.

Br
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

This should highlight the need for better planning/programming.

You don't need to unload for 2 weeks...nor will you lose size or strength when you unload. The idea is to maintain motor programing while allowing for recovery and adaptation.

Br
    so what do you think? I like to keep some power lifts and Olympic lifts in my routine but I do more body building for size....in need of help
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.28%

when you "plateau" its because your only doing enough to maintain basically.. you need to add more intensity to your workouts, maybe add in some burn out exercises every now and then, step your workouts up a notch from what youve been doing and theres no way youll still be at a "plateau".
    OEF '11-'12

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you didn't put in.
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

so what do you think? I like to keep some power lifts and Olympic lifts in my routine but I do more body building for size....in need of help
    Stop trying to do everything at once. This is like attempting to cram a 4 year degree into 6 months.

Get some short term goals, and work towards them.

If you want to get bigger, then focus on hypertrophy for a while. Include an olympic lift at the beginning of the workout to maintain power.

If you want strength than focus on power lifting. You can always run a circuit of various bodybuilding exercises at the end to maintain mass.

If you want power then focus on the olys and plyos while maintaining strength and size.

Run a 3-4 week cycle of each with a week of unloading in between.

Br
  27. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Stop trying to do everything at once. This is like attempting to cram a 4 year degree into 6 months.

Get some short term goals, and work towards them.

If you want to get bigger, then focus on hypertrophy for a while. Include an olympic lift at the beginning of the workout to maintain power.

If you want strength than focus on power lifting. You can always run a circuit of various bodybuilding exercises at the end to maintain mass.

If you want power then focus on the olys and plyos while maintaining strength and size.

Run a 3-4 week cycle of each with a week of unloading in between.

Br

This is where I suggest looking into the Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 and using the Periodization Bible for assistance work.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.37%

Like Zir Red said focus on one goal at a time. Strength for 6-8 weeks, volume( mass) for 4, then repeat. If goal is just strength for competition then focus on just that and a month or two before comp put more focus and effort in the lifts you'll be doing and their accessories.... dont waste energy and time trying to do other things not needed. Deload weeks are very helpful and needed most of the time for recovery.

I suggest doing some reading. A book I suggest is Charles Poliquins "Ask Coach Poliquin" and "Poliquin Pricples". There are other good books and manuals out there that will help you out with your goals. The " Strength Training Anatomy" is good also. Just a suggestion.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

Quote Originally Posted by themondtster
    Like Zir Red said focus on one goal at a time. Strength for 6-8 weeks, volume( mass) for 4, then repeat. If goal is just strength for competition then focus on just that and a month or two before comp put more focus and effort in the lifts you'll be doing and their accessories.... dont waste energy and time trying to do other things not needed. Deload weeks are very helpful and needed most of the time for recovery.

I suggest doing some reading. A book I suggest is Charles Poliquins "Ask Coach Poliquin" and "Poliquin Pricples". There are other good books and manuals out there that will help you out with your goals. The " Strength Training Anatomy" is good also. Just a suggestion.
    how much are these books??
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.37%

Quote Originally Posted by the gym rat

how much are these books??
    I found them for around 15 to 20 a piece. Anatomy book on Amazon and Coach Poliquin at Netnutritioncom. The Poliquin principles Im not sure cause I got it from a friend, but I think it is on Amazon also.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

Quote Originally Posted by themondtster

I found them for around 15 to 20 a piece. Anatomy book on Amazon and Coach Poliquin at Netnutritioncom. The Poliquin principles Im not sure cause I got it from a friend, but I think it is on Amazon also.
    appreciate it
  32. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%

Block Periodization by Issurin. Pricey, but worth it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  33. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

What have you plateaud in? Weight gain? Strength? You're not really telling much here, and then saying you're too lazy to post your routine up, and you want a magic answer? Too funny
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    www . millenniumsport . net
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump
    What have you plateaud in? Weight gain? Strength? You're not really telling much here, and then saying you're too lazy to post your routine up, and you want a magic answer? Too funny
    is there a way to put excel spread sheets or word documents on here or a link to them?? I've plateaued in strength...

my last 1rms in the following categories were:
    bench - 280
    squat - 405
    power clean - 245
    dead lift - 405

when I maxed this week I got
    bench- failed 285
    squat - failed 415
    power clean - 280
    dead lift - didn't max

I weigh 175lbs so I'm moving pretty good weight but I expected so much more
  35. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

yes, you can add it as an attachment I think...but not sure. May need to host it somewhere and then link to it.

Hrm, well, if you're looking to throw more weight around, you should stick to a tried and true program like 5/3/1, etc. With 5/3/1, you WILL gain strength without a doubt. You can also do bodybuilding assistance work.

But honestly, I would aim to do a lot more volume and gain some more weight. I bet your numbers will go to the next level after.
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump
    yes, you can add it as an attachment I think...but not sure. May need to host it somewhere and then link to it.

Hrm, well, if you're looking to throw more weight around, you should stick to a tried and true program like 5/3/1, etc. With 5/3/1, you WILL gain strength without a doubt. You can also do bodybuilding assistance work.

But honestly, I would aim to do a lot more volume and gain some more weight. I bet your numbers will go to the next level after.
    what would you suggest for volume then? I am trying to get my workouts up but it's kickin my a**
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

Check this out, specifically some of the article kabuki writes.

A fun Video and a Short article

Br
  38. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

Great article and nice vid.

Volume work itself, is fairly easy relatively speaking. It's just lower weight at higher reps than what you're training at now. It may be very beneficial for you to try this. It will give you a chance to deload, while also building more mass and also allowing you to focus on weaker areas via adding in more isolation work as well.

I think you really need to rethink your program at this point. Periodization is key to any successful program.
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.29%

So what are you guys recommending? 3-5 Weeks of goal specific training, a week of unloading, then another few weeks?
  40. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.11%

Quote Originally Posted by MusclestoGo View Post
    So what are you guys recommending? 3-5 Weeks of goal specific training, a week of unloading, then another few weeks?
    The time between deloading (if needed at all) depends on the actual training. If you're constantly training >90% of your 1RM, then you'll need it more than if you're doing a BB'ing template.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

Similar Forum Threads

1. PLATEAU
    By butrybench555 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 01:59 PM
  2. !!!PLATEAU????--Why me??
    By chrisrob05 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM
  3. plateau!
    By Thomp in forum Weight Loss