ive hit the plateau....HELP!!!

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.34%

Gotchya, i'm following a BB routine that i made, every week i increase every set with 1 rep for about 5 weeks, then i start over with higher weight. After that i move to another routine, does that sound legit?

2. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by the gym rat View Post
    is there a way to put excel spread sheets or word documents on here or a link to them??
    Yes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.53%

Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn
    Yes.
    how??

and for anyone else whose following this an helping me out here's what I'm thinking about doing today

chest:: bb bench 3*20, xreps 3*5, DB floor press 3*20, pull ups *200, core *100
    •   

4. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.33%

3 weeks? Speaking for myself, that's not long enough for my body to even get into a rhythm. If I were to guess (been doing this for 35 years now) you are not giving your body enough time to get into the routine - let alone plateau.

I work in quarterly cycles – alternating strength and “recovery” cycles by body area and compound lift. An example everyone should be able to relate to is for upper body pressing movements – six months of the year (2 3-month cycles) I bench heavy. Say Jan-March and Jul-Sept. I only bench and do no triceps/frontal delt/chest isolation movements. NONE. The other 2 3-month cycles I do not bench. NO BENCH. Only “bodybuilding” isolation movements on the chest/frontal delts/triceps. But it takes 13 weeks to complete a cycle.

I’ve only experienced plateaus when I push beyond the 13 weeks. I tried a 6-month bench run a few years back and I peaked at 5 – and ended up under a knife to fuse three vertebrae (a la Peyton Manning).

Three weeks is not enough time to get into a groove, my friend. Just my opinion. Hope this helps?
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.34%

Yea, i agree with Patterson.. i would lengthen your cycles and get a set routine, then each week you need top increase the volume of your workout, every week i increase my reps for every set by 1 and i do that for 5 or 6 weeks, then change it up. And may i ask why your reps are so high? You trying to bulk right? If so, reps should be around 8-12. Also, you may want to add a few sets to your routine, from what i can see by your workout, 16 sets for major muscles is probably most apt.

BTW to attach a doc all you have to do is click the paperclip at the bottom, then find it in your documents and hit choose.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by MusclestoGo View Post
    Gotchya, i'm following a BB routine that i made, every week i increase every set with 1 rep for about 5 weeks, then i start over with higher weight. After that i move to another routine, does that sound legit?
    Unless you start really light, this method does not work. The CNS, which is the main source of strength, does no operate in that fashion. After about 3 weeks, your performance will start to diminish with this kind of template. If you're going to do something similar to this, you'll want to change the main lift every 1-2 weeks. For example, week 1 is full-range bench press, week 2 is floor press, week 3 is board presses and then repeat. The goal is to work up max out every week, but do not expect to set a new PR each time. Some days, you'll be able to only get 92% of your 1RM and this is perfectly fine.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.34%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Unless you start really light, this method does not work. The CNS, which is the main source of strength, does no operate in that fashion. After about 3 weeks, your performance will start to diminish with this kind of template. If you're going to do something similar to this, you'll want to change the main lift every 1-2 weeks. For example, week 1 is full-range bench press, week 2 is floor press, week 3 is board presses and then repeat. The goal is to work up max out every week, but do not expect to set a new PR each time. Some days, you'll be able to only get 92% of your 1RM and this is perfectly fine.
    Hm, so your saying i should have a 3 week cycle of separate lifts, then repeat. And evrytime i come back to each workout i want my max to improve?
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by MusclestoGo View Post
    Hm, so your saying i should have a 3 week cycle of separate lifts, then repeat. And evrytime i come back to each workout i want my max to improve?
    Ideally, but you have to address your weak points with your assistance lifts and your dynamic training. FYI, this method is called the conjugate method and there is tons of information about it on the internet.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.34%

Ok thankyou, i'll definitely look it up.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.33%

Man! You lost me... But given the bundle of three letters as your credentials I expect you know what you're talking about.

I don't follow the switching of the main lift. But I have 21 years on you which means I learned all this stuff - well - right about when you were born. Not a knock on you - just saying I may be a bit of a dinosaur...

When approaching getting bigger/stronger, I've found there's only one way. Lift heavy weights. When I'm going heavy (2 13-week cycles per year), I start with 5 progressively heavy warm-ups - starting from just the bar to my starting-weight-less-90lbs. No formal timing between warm-ups. Then 5 sets of 3 at a single weight with 6 minutes between sets. I’ll grab what I want to do today:

1.) 3 X 460
    2.) 3 X 460
    3.) 3 X 460
    4.) 3 X 460
    5.) 3 X 460

This is what I WANT to do this afternoon. If I get at least 3 sets of three at a given weight, I add 10lbs to the next workout. I work with a weight until I get to at least three sets of three. This is heavy bench on Monday.

Friday is 25 sets of 3 reps (throws) at 50% of my calculated 1RM with 1 minute between sets.
    Again – when I do this cycle, I ONLY DO THE BENCH. Sure, I have legs days and back days. But on upper body pressing, when going for power/strength all I do is bench.

I’m working my way back up after neck surgery (as said same thing Peyton Manning had done) last August. Doc says it’ll take another 17 months to gt back where I was, but it’s coming along…
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%

Most of your knowledge sounds like western style training, but the recommendations I made are based upon the conjugate method, which is the method primarily used by Eastern Bloc countries.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.33%

Most of your knowledge sounds like western style training, but the recommendations I made are based upon the conjugate method, which is the method primarily used by Eastern Bloc countries.
    Cool - something new to google! Thx
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.33%

LMAO... Conjugate training is what I do for the other 2 3-month cycles. I just never know that's what it is called. Ya' learn something new...
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.53%

alright anyone trying to help me this might help clear the fog a little bit...i hope
    This is a routine my strength coach gave to me who is a licensed strength coach and physical therapist as well so i just go off of what he tells me baucause he knows a lot more then i do....
    I like getting peoples different opinions so this is completly up for criticism!!

3 Week Template

Week 1- 3x20-25 Week 2- 3x15-20 Week 3- 3x5-10

Monday (chest)
    • BB Bench
    • DB Floor Press
    • BB X Reps
    Tuesday (Back)
    • Wide Lat-Pull Downs
    • BB Bent Over Rows
    • Shrugs
    • Back Extensions
    Wednesday (Shoulders)
    • DB Shoulder Press
    • Arnold Press
    • Front Raises
    • Side Raises
    Thursday (Arms)
    • EZB Preacher Curls
    • DB Hammer
    • EZB Reverse Curls
    • DB Kick Backs
    • Cable Push Downs
    • Dips
    Friday (legs)
    • Back Squats
    • Front Squats
    • Calf Raises
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%

That template doesn't make any sense. You should be aiming to train movements, not muscles. Also, it is severely imbalanced from an anterior and posterior perspective. There's no direct posterior delt, mid-trap, or glute/ham work.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.53%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    That template doesn't make any sense. You should be aiming to train movements, not muscles. Also, it is severely imbalanced from an anterior and posterior perspective. There's no direct posterior delt, mid-trap, or glute/ham work.
    so what do you think then? what would you recommend?
  18. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%

so what do you think then? what would you recommend?
    Look into templates like Wendler's 5/3/1, Smith's Juggernaut Method, or even the conjugate method employed by Westside Barbell.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.53%

Look into templates like Wendler's 5/3/1, Smith's Juggernaut Method, or even the conjugate method employed by Westside Barbell.
    I googled the 5/3/1 but I could not find any template with an actual lift by lift set up
  20. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%

I googled the 5/3/1 but I could not find any template with an actual lift by lift set up
    http://www.**********************/wor...ng-system.html
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.53%

good stuff just found out...thanks for straightening all this out
  22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.11%

No prob, but I do recommending buying the book. Lays it out a little cleaner and answers more question.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.53%

No prob, but I do recommending buying the book. Lays it out a little cleaner and answers more question.
    I'm thinking about doin that as it is
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.53%

so to anyone who is following this, I have found something very interesting...the workout spread that I posted on here that my coach have me...ya I just AI happened to pick up this months issue of muscle and body and looked through it and poof...the workout and the number of reps were exact!! with the exception of a few workouts and the fact that he split the muscle groups into each individual day it was exact...
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.34%

Lol you need a new coach!

Similar Forum Threads

1. PLATEAU
    By butrybench555 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 01:59 PM