hard gainers, im here to help!

westhockey32

westhockey32

Awards
Building muscle has always been the goal for so many individuals who put all this time, effort, and often money into getting that hulk like body. But what is the core to building muscle, that first step to achieving gains? Well for the average person it should be a parallel between diet and exercise, the major focus I want to talk about here is the exercise because there are so many major things that get over looked in the gym. The typical workout routine consists of three set containing ten repetitions. Now for all those “hard gainers” out there listen up because I cannot stress this enough and you will see result within weeks if you take your routine off auto-pilot and start focusing on the immediate moment per repetition. This is the reason so many people say they have been going to the gym for years but they never feel like they get the result they had in mind, its mainly due to the fact that they are putting in the time, effort, and money like I said before but they are not killing themselves with slow and steady repetitions. This is for many reason, one being the understanding that a “rep” has two parts, up and down. I see so many people just throwing weights around, but the biggest mistake a person can make is thinking once they have lifted the weight they can just drop it down and do it again. Well the majority of muscle damage is done on the negative aspect of the rep, to skip over releasing the weight down slow and steady is probably the worst thing possible. So if you’re this person the first thing you should be thinking about right now is lowering your weight. For example if your benching 185lbs for three sets containing ten repetitions you many want to consider something more realistic like dropping all the way down to 135lbs, this will enable you to focus on the form of your exercise within a more controlled motion which in-turn causes more stress and damage to that particular muscle creating growth. It’s not always the heavy weight that that builds muscle it’s the form and concentration on stressing that muscle. But wait you are not done yet, there is more to be said about the focus per repetition and it leads us back to those gym monkeys I was talking about before throwing the weights. The main goal to lifting weight is to create resistance, the more resistance an individual place upon the muscle the more benefits they will see. The resistance comes from the motion of lifting where again there are two more part taking place within this single repetition. For example, a preacher curl is a prime opportunity for focusing on a slow contracting muscle squeeze to lift the weight up and then a slow release down to utilize negative resistance. Don’t forget to create that contraction by squeezing the bicep, again lower the weight and utilize the contraction and resistance to your advantage. Your first week at the gym you will be in a world of hurting but a can guarantee if you stick it out and torture your body through slow and steady repetitions the results will be there with no extra charge.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Any chance you can edit this and put it into paragraphs and normal font? My old man eyes gave up after the 3rd line.

Br

westhockey32

westhockey32

Awards
ha sorry, just a quick write up, next time RED!

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
I used this technique about 3 years ago, worked very well when I was focusing on shaping. It gave a burn like no other, but I understand why, the muscle was under contraction for 5-10 seconds every rep.

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
Building muscle has always been the goal for so many individuals who put all this time, effort, and often money into getting that hulk like body. But what is the core to building muscle, that first step to achieving gains? Well for the average person it should be a parallel between diet and exercise, the major focus I want to talk about here is the exercise because there are so many major things that get over looked in the gym. The typical workout routine consists of three set containing ten repetitions. Now for all those “hard gainers” out there listen up because I cannot stress this enough and you will see result within weeks if you take your routine off auto-pilot and start focusing on the immediate moment per repetition. This is the reason so many people say they have been going to the gym for years but they never feel like they get the result they had in mind, its mainly due to the fact that they are putting in the time, effort, and money like I said before but they are not killing themselves with slow and steady repetitions. This is for many reason, one being the understanding that a “rep” has two parts, up and down. I see so many people just throwing weights around, but the biggest mistake a person can make is thinking once they have lifted the weight they can just drop it down and do it again. Well the majority of muscle damage is done on the negative aspect of the rep, to skip over releasing the weight down slow and steady is probably the worst thing possible. So if you’re this person the first thing you should be thinking about right now is lowering your weight. For example if your benching 185lbs for three sets containing ten repetitions you many want to consider something more realistic like dropping all the way down to 135lbs, this will enable you to focus on the form of your exercise within a more controlled motion which in-turn causes more stress and damage to that particular muscle creating growth. It’s not always the heavy weight that that builds muscle it’s the form and concentration on stressing that muscle. But wait you are not done yet, there is more to be said about the focus per repetition and it leads us back to those gym monkeys I was talking about before throwing the weights. The main goal to lifting weight is to create resistance, the more resistance an individual place upon the muscle the more benefits they will see. The resistance comes from the motion of lifting where again there are two more part taking place within this single repetition. For example, a preacher curl is a prime opportunity for focusing on a slow contracting muscle squeeze to lift the weight up and then a slow release down to utilize negative resistance. Don’t forget to create that contraction by squeezing the bicep, again lower the weight and utilize the contraction and resistance to your advantage. Your first week at the gym you will be in a world of hurting but a can guarantee if you stick it out and torture your body through slow and steady repetitions the results will be there with no extra charge.
3 parts -concentric/Static/Eccentric but whatever ;) slower reps are the basics of any HIT program and will make your sore!

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
So in a nutshell, time-under-tension is the main objective here, which in turn will actually shorten the overall time your lifting because youre focusing on the entire ROM from beginning to end. Good post.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'll make sure I'm doing this :)

westhockey32

westhockey32

Awards
no joke utilize the negative, for me every three weeks I substitute a pure negative exercise into my routine. Say I have: side lat raise with 20lb Dbs for three sets 10,10,10. I would consider this easy weight to practice form. But this week for this exercise in my regimen I would use 30lb Dbs and kinda use momentum to get the weight up BUT on the way down go as slow as possible for 3x10. This tiny trick helped me tremendously! I never see people using negatives on normal exercise just one's classified as power-lifting exercises (typically benching)! hope it helps!