winged scapula now what?

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
So I have diagnosed my self with a winged scapula. Im making an appointment with the doc to get a referal to who ever can help me. But originally I was informed to do exercises like face pulls n rear delt strengthening moves. Honestly I feel like its worse. Recently I've been told to strengthen the saratus anterior which is like the opposite of what I was originally doing!!! :0
So its only on one side so do u guys think its more nerve related? If so then now what. Should I try to strengthen the seratus anterior or hold off till I see doc?

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Unless we are using different terms, a winged scap is the result of weak scapula retractors or relatively weak compared to your protractors. Your rhomboids, mid and low traps should be your focus. If anything, you probably have overly tight serratus and pec minor, which is a pretty common issue. Correcting it will take time so be patient

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just googled this. I think I may have the same thing. My shoulder blade always came out like that on my left side and my shoulder exercises and flat bench have always been pretty weak. Never had any pain associated with it though. Maybe I will ask my doctor about this next time I go. Sorry Hungry4more if I sounded rude.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've had this for as long as I can remember. Since I was a kid I have been told I have poor posture. At least now I have something to blame it on.

Disturbed

Disturbed

Awards
If your having pain in that area then you should try massage therapy.Get someone that is good at deep tissue massages.I had an area right beside my scapula that kept bothering me.Massage Therapy is the only thing that helped.Also I agree with you doing face pulls and any other scapular retraction movement.Seated rows will help too.Also look in to getting a foam roller.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Dang it!. Now this is all in my head. I wasn't even thinking about anything like this before.
I kno dude! I can't wait to finally get to a professional to see what's up..

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't have any pain associated with it though. Not normally. I mean once in a while maybe. I have a hard time with seated front press for shoulders. When I use the machine for presses though I'm fine. In fact I have been making some great gains in strength on flat bench lately. I just went and looked in the mirror and it doesn't stick out as much as it used to. Haven't really thought about this in the past 10 years though.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2684151/

that research, in the abstract area talks about symptoms of medial and lateral winging. medial wining requires more work on the serratus while lateral requires more work on the rhomboids and lower traps.

i have only seen medial winging and with all the client i had during my 9yr career as a trainer that had medial winging, working on the serratus worked every time. lots of pushups, stiff arm pushups (also known as push up plus) and limited ROM dips was the bulk of the work.

i would say work all those muscles. my bench and squat has started going up since working my low traps and thomboids with lots of facepulls over the last few months. and i dont have any winging at all.

I

ITALIANO

Awards
Same

I have it to you think As will help i have a weak muscle to im not on cycle yet but when I do It should help no?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went to see the doctor and I do not have any winging at all. So now you all should learn from my mistake that self-diagnosing is a no-no!.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
I went to see the doctor and I do not have any winging at all. So now you all should learn from my mistake that self-diagnosing is a no-no!.
Idk I trust my own instincts more than a doc. He can't feel what u feel while u work out. If u still think there is something up see physical therapist they would kno what's up.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Another thought most doctors are only trained to treat symptoms, with chemical based prescriptions. So when u go to the doc saying u have this problem, they ask is it causing u pain? If not they really aren't trained in how to help u. Some may refer u to chiropractor or pt while others will reason its not causing pain ATM so don't worry bout it..

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another thought most doctors are only trained to treat symptoms, with chemical based prescriptions. So when u go to the doc saying u have this problem, they ask is it causing u pain? If not they really aren't trained in how to help u. Some may refer u to chiropractor or pt while others will reason its not causing pain ATM so don't worry bout it..

My doctor is also a trainer chiropractor and he is very knowledgeable about sports injuries.