Question on lower back muscles

S

shdwmsk

Awards
hey guys, long time member, long time lurker.

got a question on my lower back muscles, they are different side to side. just from a quick goolge images search my thoracolumbar fascia's are different sizes. i notice it mainly when i am sitting up against something and my left side touches but my right side is about a half inch off. i can litterally stick a finger between what ever i am up against and touch my left side. there is no major pain only the normal back pains, but im just worried (only a little woried acctually).

a little background:
been lifting off and on, going on 10 years, 1st month back after 2 years off cause of job and family. i have had back surgery for a herniated disk in '05 (lower lumbar lamenectamy L5 S1) scar is on my left side. (could it be as simple as this?)
i do squats and deads everyweek along with trunk ext., side lifts and other lower back strength exercises. i have no loss of strength side to side. it just when they are "pumped up" it is really noticeable (wife can see it by looking)
i am about 212 lbs body fat in the mid teens, squat 340 and dead about 340 both for 1 rm (taking 2 years off sucks for the numbers)

S

shdwmsk

Awards
Bump. this in the wrong section? went back and forth on putting it in this or the training forum.

M

mattsams89

Awards
Surgery could have something to do with it. If it's purely aesthetic, I wouldn't worry (unless you're planning on competitive bodybuilding). I completely tore my left rectus femoris in high school, but aside from looking weird, it has no effect on my training. Now, if there is a strength imbalance--likely in the spinal erectors--you'll want to correct that promptly. Also, I know you said there's no pain; just be mindful if it starts to become irritated.

S

shdwmsk

Awards
thanks, that goes along with what i was thinkng. it just helps to have some one else echo your thoughts some times.