Training a 14 year old

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Hey all,

So, a friend of mine has asked to help train his little brother, who is 14, and I've been taking him around and working out with him. Just trying to figure out what would be the best approach to workout with him; is there chance to stunt growth or is that kind of an old myth? Can I gradually start working him out hardcore? I.e. sets of 8 - 10 reps or whatnot or keep him at the higher rep range?

I've been focusing on having him understand form before anything else, but his goal is to play football, so he would probably enjoy growing, and he is in prime time for doing so.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
On a note;

I've been pretty much kept him just following me around and doing the same DC exercises I do, just with lower weight - obviously - focus on form and higher rep range, between the 12 - 15, and having 4 - 5 sets of each currently. And then cardio as well.

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just be sure to teach him proper forms in exercises like barbell bench, squat and deadlift so that he will have as many injury free training years as possible.. Usually when I see young kids benching in the gym, I can tell that they will have some serious rotator cuff issues in future.

IMO after learning proper forms, he can start training hard. I know many guys who have started working out at the age of 13-15 and haven't ruined their growth plates & joints.. Guys like that will be in great shape later.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Just be sure to teach him proper forms in exercises like barbell bench, squat and deadlift so that he will have as many injury free training years as possible.. Usually when I see young kids benching in the gym, I can tell that they will have some serious rotator cuff issues in future.

IMO after learning proper forms, he can start training hard. I know many guys who have started working out at the age of 13-15 and haven't ruined their growth plates & joints.. Guys like that will be in great shape later.
yeah, that's my main goal right now, low weights, teaching form.

Deadlift, bench press and squats have been my main focus with him (hence why I've got him following my DC approach, a lot of compound movements and therefore he will learn good form on those from an early age) and then start pushing him hard when I'm confident he's not cheating or having horrible form.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Teach him the importance of balance at the shoulder joint before he gets to his high school weight room and benches every day without ever doing any pulling. The scap retractors have got to be the single most neglected group I see in incoming college freshmen

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Teach him the importance of balance at the shoulder joint before he gets to his high school weight room and benches every day without ever doing any pulling. The scap retractors have got to be the single most neglected group I see in incoming college freshmen
I like this suggestion. Same with the hips, and even doing some muscular balance tests are a great idea.

Also, motor mechanics should ideally make up his first year of training (if you are looking to turn him into a physical or athletic master piece). This means, minimal loading for the first 3-6 weeks depending on coordination, and a lot of time spend with the bar practicing the movements. Some of the loading can be placed on him with body weight exercises, and its probably a good idea to be able to get him to do 10+ pull ups and supine rows and 30+ push ups in that time period.

Once motor mechanics are developed and ingrained, then the loading can begin.

Closure of growth plates is not likely, especially since jumping from a tree at 3 feet places more strress on them than squating with 100% body weight.

Br

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I've been giving him a light load and correcting all of the mistakes; also trying to do some core workouts to get him strong with the supporting muscles before hiting it full on with the weights.

So far he's actually done pretty well and his movement is not bad for someone who's just starting, surprisingly. I think his little football background also helps a bit.