Exercises for workers who are standing long periods of time?

purebred

Hey guys!

I recently got a job working security with the Loews Hotel (8 hour shifts) and was researching specific exercises that may improve my ability to stand for long periods of time without fatigue or aches. I bought a pair of Dr. Scholl's shoes and they have helped a lot. I've also begun using my lacrosse ball oin my plantar fascia, in addition to the other foam rolling work I do on a regular basis, and I stretch periodically throughout my shift(s). All the preceding has helped me acclimate nicely!

I'm just searching for extra feedback, second/third/fourth etc. opinions :) Hope all is well with you all!

mrswe24

Awards
Have you ever tried using a weight vest. It may help.

mrswe24

Awards
Walking around with a weight vest I believe would help.

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You don't need any "exercises". I know this for experience. Before I went to military I worked as glazier.. 8.5 hours a day. I remember when I started my job, first week or two were hard because I wasn't used to stand on my feet for so long periods of time. My foot soles hurt so much and so did my upper back, especially traps.. But it took a week or two and I just got used to it. It didn't hurt anymore.

I've been on army for a little over 7 months now and will be two more. After that I'm hopefully gonna continue working as glazier (if the boss gives me my job back, that's still unsure) and I'm sure I'll have to go through those same aches again even though I've been standing on my feet quite much in military too, not even mentioning how much all the backpacks, guns, magazines, bullets, water bottles, shovels, gas masks, clothes etc weighs :)

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Walking around with a vest will result in weird gate patterns and off posture.

Think about what keeps you upright - your postural muscles, the core. Strong glutes and abs will keep the pelvis balances and reduce the development of anterior pelvic tilt and lordosis. A strong local core will help stabilize the spine - these are your deep core muscles: transverse abdominals, quadratus loborum, multifidis, etc.

Br