should I train chest twice a week ?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

should I train chest twice a week ?

Ive been training for to years an chest I lagging behind. I seem to have a v shape in it. It gets strong but never any real size. Should I train it twice a week instead of once ? Any advice appreciated thanks

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.66%

Training chest twice per week doesn't really make sense, given that you are implying something like..

chest
    back/bi
    shoulder/tri
    chest
    legs
    rest
    rest

Most people recommend doing a body part once per week, but I have had nice gains from a 4 or 5 day cycle. Something like this might help to workout your body more often, as too many rest days are a waste of course.

Chest/Tri
    Back/Bi
    Shoulder/Traps
    Legs/Abs
    Rest

This 5 day cycle will workout your chest way more often, over the span of four months you will have hit your chest and every other body part 7 more times.

Just remember, to make hypertrophic gains, you need to be SWITCHING YOUR WORKOUTS. Look at plateau busting workouts anywhere on the internet. Switch what muscles you do with what other muscles, introduce pauses and drop sets, etc..

And don't workout without intensity, maybe you are just wasting your time.

Good luck
  3. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.66%

And also - about the V shape - stop benching and start throwing in way more dumbbell benches. It shapes the pec, although it slightly compromises gains, it is worth it if you are V'd up
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

Quote Originally Posted by jbonez
    Training chest twice per week doesn't really make sense, given that you are implying something like..

chest
    back/bi
    shoulder/tri
    chest
    legs
    rest
    rest

Most people recommend doing a body part once per week, but I have had nice gains from a 4 or 5 day cycle. Something like this might help to workout your body more often, as too many rest days are a waste of course.

Chest/Tri
    Back/Bi
    Shoulder/Traps
    Legs/Abs
    Rest

This 5 day cycle will workout your chest way more often, over the span of four months you will have hit your chest and every other body part 7 more times.

Just remember, to make hypertrophic gains, you need to be SWITCHING YOUR WORKOUTS. Look at plateau busting workouts anywhere on the internet. Switch what muscles you do with what other muscles, introduce pauses and drop sets, etc..

And don't workout without intensity, maybe you are just wasting your time.

Good luck
    Thanks for the advice and tht training u said is what ive been doing all along mate
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

And also - about the V shape - stop benching and start throwing in way more dumbbell benches. It shapes the pec, although it slightly compromises gains, it is worth it if you are V'd up
    Awsome mate wht I trys to do I one week bench second week dumbells any good ?
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.1%

I believe training a body part 3 times in 2 weeks is optimal form the majority of people. It seems to be just about the perfect compromise between volume/frequency. Some people can progress with a tad more frequency and some need alil less but I think most should stertorous of with that setup and then adjust depending on how you feel. Below is a sample workout using push/pull/legs

Monday-push
    Tuesdsy-pull
    Thursday-legs
    Friday-push
    Monday-pull
    Tuesday- legs
    And so on and so on

As far as volume goes I would do one "big movement" and one small iso movement for each. Only 2 working sets for each . On the big movement go all out on those 2 sets getting very close to failure and the iso just get a good blood into the muscle, make sure it's Difficult but not to failure . Here's a Sample push workout showing only working sets

Incline bench x10-12 x6-8
    Flat DB x12x2
    Militery press x10-12 x6-8
    Smith RGBPx10-12 x6-8
    Superset (for time purpose) pulley tricep pushdown/front or lateral raises. 3x12

I have that order because I believe you should have your big exercises early in the workout when u have to most energy and save the fluffy stuff for the end . Hope that helps
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

That sounds like a plan with have to try it out thanks
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.87%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

When I do my four day split, I rotate with what muscle group should I work twice a week. It's been pretty effective, although I still prefer training only three days a week. Keeps me fresh, I don't get burnt out on the gym, and when I do lift, I kill my body but it's okay cause I have four days to recover
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

Quote Originally Posted by R1balla
    When I do my four day split, I rotate with what muscle group should I work twice a week. It's been pretty effective, although I still prefer training only three days a week. Keeps me fresh, I don't get burnt out on the gym, and when I do lift, I kill my body but it's okay cause I have four days to recover
    Thanks for the advice bud. In need all the advice I can get. Any ideas on the v shape
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.87%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ginge205 View Post
    Thanks for the advice bud. In need all the advice I can get. Any ideas on the v shape
    diet. also, DC training as gotten my back the way i want it. its something to look into. i rotate between about 4 different training routines throughout the year, but DC is my favorite.

exercises that come to mind for the V shape back are T bar Rows, wide grip pull ups, over head pulls (idk what exactly they are called), DB or BB Row.

edit: my bad, i didnt totally read your first post OP. i thought u were talking about your back. haha

Article on DC training

11. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.66%

Google 'pec shape' you will get the following advice..

Dumbbells
    Use good form
    8-12 rep range
    Mostly genetic, hard to change
    Dedicate one of your gym days to only chest
    Start with incline for square shape

Hope that helps, look into it on google theres a million things about pec shape
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

Quote Originally Posted by R1balla

diet. also, DC training as gotten my back the way i want it. its something to look into. i rotate between about 4 different training routines throughout the year, but DC is my favorite.

exercises that come to mind for the V shape back are T bar Rows, wide grip pull ups, over head pulls (idk what exactly they are called), DB or BB Row.

edit: my bad, i didnt totally read your first post OP. i thought u were talking about your back. haha

Article on DC training
    Lol
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

Google 'pec shape' you will get the following advice..

Dumbbells
    Use good form
    8-12 rep range
    Mostly genetic, hard to change
    Dedicate one of your gym days to only chest
    Start with incline for square shape

Hope that helps, look into it on google theres a million things about pec shape
    U been great cheers mate
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.92%

jbonez youre implying that most people work 2 muscles a day when in reality a lot of people (including myself) dont. because i feel like if you work 1 muscle a day you can hit every part which can take some time..compared to working 2 muscles and being in the gym for like 3 hours a day or just half assing each muscle. i wouldnt see any problem in working chest twice a week as long as there is good separation in the 2 days like monday and friday or tuesday/saturday etc. but on another note.. ginge how long has it been since youve like done some muscle confusion and switched up your chest workout? And since youre trying to build your chest up dont get your mind set on like "i have to use big weight to get a big chest" or anything like that do a weight that you can CONTROL on the positives And negatives and like jbonez said make sure you have good form when youre using the db's or whatever youre working out with
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

Quote Originally Posted by Masciaman
    jbonez youre implying that most people work 2 muscles a day when in reality a lot of people (including myself) dont. because i feel like if you work 1 muscle a day you can hit every part which can take some time..compared to working 2 muscles and being in the gym for like 3 hours a day or just half assing each muscle. i wouldnt see any problem in working chest twice a week as long as there is good separation in the 2 days like monday and friday or tuesday/saturday etc. but on another note.. ginge how long has it been since youve like done some muscle confusion and switched up your chest workout? And since youre trying to build your chest up dont get your mind set on like "i have to use big weight to get a big chest" or anything like that do a weight that you can CONTROL on the positives And negatives and like jbonez said make sure you have good form when youre using the db's or whatever youre working out with
    I try to confuse them every other week so this week I will do barbell only with the normal flys next week it will be dumbell with cable crossover is that what u mean
  16. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.66%

Quote Originally Posted by Masciaman View Post
    I am implying that most people work 2 muscles a day. Think of the contrapositive of that - that most people work each muscle separately. That is definitely not true. Theres only one way to do that, which is Chest-Back-Shoulders-Arms-Legs in any order. Then think about how many multiple muscles per day workouts there are .. hundreds.

Just my opinion though, I do agree that one muscle per day is awesome but to a limit. Doing Chest, then Back, then Shoulders, then Legs, then Biceps, then Triceps, then Traps is kind of crazy.

I would agree with you that throwing Chest and Back on their own day is quite nice. Shoulders/Traps and Arms and Legs go together after. But again, this is all up to the person.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.92%

actually thats just your opinion. A LOT of people ive met first hand and gotten tips from have been doing 1 muscle a day and they were way bigger than me so they must be doing something right lol. and you can do back then shoulders the next. bi's after shoulder day, tris after chest day etc. its still incorporating all the muscles because they were used the day before just not the max
  18. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.66%

If you have met someone that has a bicep day and a triceps day, they are idiots. it should be with a larger muscle or together (arms day). but yes it is common, I'm surprised uve met more people that do that than a standard breakdown. oh well, to each his own
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.6%

Always been under the impression that you don't change the shapes of your muscles, just the size.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

Some real good opinions here every one trains different thats why I wont lots of pepoel to post. So I can find out every way and find what will work best for me cheers lads
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.02%

i've been doing twice a week.. one day 6-10 reps and another 12-20 max reps.. the lighter workout takes less time to recover from
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

Quote Originally Posted by alexoc949
    i've been doing twice a week.. one day 6-10 reps and another 12-20 max reps.. the lighter workout takes less time to recover from
    I normal do 4-7 reps and 4 sets basicly start at fairly heavy the go to 4 rep max any good ?
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.1%

Here is an awesome article that will answer msny of your questions and is very short/easy to read
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

Quote Originally Posted by Machmood
    Here is an awesome article that will answer msny of your questions and is very short/easy to read
    U didnt leave the link mate
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.74%

I think most people would argue that training a specific body part 2 times a week would be over training. I read an article in a magazine the other day talking about how your body takes a couple of weeks to realize muscles are being over trained. I've seen quite a few workouts that have chest, back, or arms worked out twice in a 7 day span. I think it's not a bad idea to train your chest 2 times a week but just don't continually do it for weeks at a time. Just my personal opinion though.

OP: I have kinda the same problem with my chest. I posted a thread not too long ago about my chest lacking other body parts. Got lots of good feedback from everyone too.
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.73%

Ok good info cheers bud
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.9%

Sorry for the 2 year bump.. OP or anyone else in here what have your experiences been since posting?
  28. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.87%

Quote Originally Posted by lemke28 View Post
    I think most people would argue that training a specific body part 2 times a week would be over training. I read an article in a magazine the other day talking about how your body takes a couple of weeks to realize muscles are being over trained. I've seen quite a few workouts that have chest, back, or arms worked out twice in a 7 day span. I think it's not a bad idea to train your chest 2 times a week but just don't continually do it for weeks at a time. Just my personal opinion though.

OP: I have kinda the same problem with my chest. I posted a thread not too long ago about my chest lacking other body parts. Got lots of good feedback from everyone too.
    I see great progress when I train parts twice a week. Now, it's not 16 sets each time twice a week. I do like 8 or 10 but go all out twice a week. The only thing is it can make you feel tired all the time. But if you are on a cycle, I highly suggest doing twice a week training

29. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.27%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    I see great progress when I train parts twice a week. Now, it's not 16 sets each time twice a week. I do like 8 or 10 but go all out twice a week. The only thing is it can make you feel tired all the time. But if you are on a cycle, I highly suggest doing twice a week training
    Big believer in hitting each body part twice a week also (upper/lower splits). Iirc muscle protein synthesis is elevated for 48 hours after hitting that body part ( atleast I remember reading that). If this is true it makes the most sense to hit each body part twice a week.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Big Chest do I still train it??
    By Marcinator in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 06:28 PM
  2. Chest Cold - When does it become OK to train again?
    By OVERHAUL in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 02:09 PM
  3. Chest and Delts - Train Separately or together
    By LunaHotel in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 10:20 PM
  4. Chest 2x a week to improve upper chest?
    By AldrichAStern in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 09:32 PM
  5. Can I train chest already?
    By frofan in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 09:57 AM