Workout on full or empty stomach?

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do you guys usually work out on a full or on an empty stomach? Usually I try to eat a very full meal an hour or two before the gym and a protein shake and some rice cakes or something similar right before. Sometimes I drink gatorade too to try to get as many carbs in as possible so I can have a good workout.

But does cramming in carbs right before you hit the weights help you have a better workout? Some workouts I have seem really fueled and I usually attribute this to eating a lot before leaving. But does it make a difference? Or do you want an empty stomach to avoid that sleepy feeling and to allow more blood to work with the muscles?

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
I try to wait at least an hour and a half, especially on legs days, so I don't throw everything up.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I train around 5:30am all I take is Turbo V-12 prior to training,and I never has a problem with energy..

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I need food one hour before training, especially oatmeal

keith1569

Awards
i generally also wait about 1 hour after i eat before i workout..if its early in the am i take some satur8 and then im good to go

synesta

Awards
I have to workout on an empty stomach. Seems I don't feel as much of a pump if I am full. Guess my blood is all used for digestion lol. I say do what works for you.

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
I usually eat 2 hours before my workout. I do this so that my post workout shake comes at a time when I would normally eat a regular meal. I eat every 3 hours and my workout with warmup/cooldown lasts about an hour.

Not sure if it's the best way to do things, but it seems to work well for me. If you eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours there isn't much room there unless you workout first thing in the AM like MadMan does.