Smoking ciggarrettes right after a workout

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
I heard smoking right after you finish working out if like the worst time to smoke because the nicotine like restricts a little blood flow to your muscles or something? Not sure but is this true?

woooow... sorry for posting this in the wrong section..........

The Cold

Awards
I used to smoke and loved them post workout. I found that they caused some real problems with inflammation though, especially in my shoulders and elbows. They definitely restrict blood flow (that is why they make you impotent),and I believe from experience that they also restrict muscle growth. If you want to maximize your potential, you gotta quit.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I used to crave a big dip of tobacco after a good workout

Nasty stuff anyway

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
ya cause right now like i might have a few through out the day but after i finish working out is when im like trying to come off my pre wo so i just smoke.. i really do wanna quit its just a bitch while your deployed :X

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
but hey when you quit smoking did you see like noticeable changes in your muscles like how could you tell they got bigger from quitting smoking and not just from your workouts lol

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I felt I had more energy after I quit chewing.....first two week sucked big time.

But I figure less toxins constantly circulating throughout the body the better :D Can't say that workouts improved, although I was snacking more so that helped with the bulk LOL

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wrote a big piece in a previous thread about all the negatives of nicotine and cigarretes with regards to both health and muscle performance. I'll do a search and see if I can find it, but I suggest you do one as well.

Br

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
ok thanks bro. and id never even thought of it before until a trainer i started working out with mentioned it

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I heard smoking anytime is bad...Doesn't have a "good" time thats for sure!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Smoking is payin some1 to kill u.

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
i wasnt asking if smoking if bad for you in general..obviously it is or there wouldnt be warnings all over the packs/cartons.. i was asking what the nicotine ACTUALLY does like with your blood flow etc directly after a workout

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can't find the post, so I'll quickly recap.

First, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. So it may reduce blood flow/circulation.

But, theres a lot more negatives that affect muscle gain than just that. Read on..................

Nicotine also effects the hypothalamus-pituitary axis.
Nicotine stimulates the release of ACTH (adrenal corticotropic hormone..which increases cortisol release).
Acute nicotine consumption stimulates prolactin levels.
And nicotine increases the hormone arginine vasopressin, which may in part be while nicotine acts as a vasoconstrictor.

Next, Nicotine acts on the adrenal axis, stimulating the production and release of glucocorticoids (cortisol).
Nicotine also stimulates an increase in epinephrine (adrenalin).
While these hormones are good during exercise, post exercise they delay the recovery process (i.e: inhibit protein and glycogen synthesis).
Additionally, nicotine stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, furthering the rise in catecholamines (adrenalin), and increased heart rate and vasoconstriction.

While smoking does not seem to affect total testosterone, it does increase estradiol and SHGB (thus, may reduce free test). It also seems to decrease sperm motility.

One of the chemicals in smoke (thiocynates) inhibits thyroid production; however the effects of cigarettes on the thyroid is a bit confusing. Some studies have shown increased thyroid hormone production while others have shown reduce...and yet, some have shown to effect at all. Either way, correct thyroid levels are important to muscle building as too much or too few will reduce protein synthesis.

Smoking may also affect beta cells in the pancreas, especially in men. Smoking has been shown to promote insulin resistance, either by affecting insulin producing cells or via elevated stress hormones, or both.
And as you may or may not know, insulin signalling is one of the most anabolic events in our bodies.

Finally, cigarette smoking reduces gastric emptying time. The reason many drink a shake post workout is to deliver protein and cho quickly into the blood stream to signal protein synthesis, recovery, and growth. So, smoking may reduce the "window of opportunity".

In conclusion....quit!

Br

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Mmmmmmmkay?

Haha, sorry, couldn't resist ;)

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
i think im am gonna quit ive been thinking about it for a while now so i think its time to just do it.. :X

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
its just a bitch being deployed and on top of that like EVERYONE smokes lol. but its time to stop bullshiattn :X

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Try chewing gum bro or mints when you get cravings. My grandfather did this to quit and still doesn't smoke to this day. You want to also start doing cardio and extreme cardiovascular activity. You will be so frustrated with your shortness of breath and failure due to activity that you will be kicking yourself right out of the habit. Maybe even an interm. sport or church league sport to help you run more or a gym team sport. Do whatever it takes. Get your life back. We are all here to help. Maybe even log a product or something

CaptHowdy5150

CaptHowdy5150

Awards
  • Established
I seriously need to quit smoking as well. We need to start a stop smoking support group here on AM...

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
Capt thatd actually be a great idea lol. i feel like im right on the verge of quitting but i just havent done it yet..idk why. like i stopped buying cartons, just a pack at a time now all i have to do is just STOP which i havent done yet :X

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mascia,

Take it from me, a respiratory therapist... QUIT NOW!

But I'll give you one piece of advice... and everyone that smokes, or knows someone that smokes should definitely read this as well: You (or the person you know) cannot quit smoking until they have actually made the commitment to quit smoking. No matter how much advice, scientific evidence pointing towards the downsides, pictures of diseased lungs, pictures of people with trachs (a breathing airway in your THROAT), statistics, etc. that you show them... they WILL NOT succeed until THEY MAKE THE DECISION THEMSELVES.

The immediate and drastic changes to your health the day you STOP smoking are immense. And the longer you lay off the nicotine, the longer the positive effects remain, and the more they begin to compound.

It's only a good idea. And that's all it is. We can all be here and cheer you on and hope to God that you succeed, but its up for you to step up and decide to do it for yourself!

Do it bro!

/medical professional advice rant

;)

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just for your info:

• In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.
  • In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal
  • In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.
  • In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.
  • In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.
  • In three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.
  • In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
  • In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
  • In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
  • In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

compudog

compudog

Awards
I seriously need to quit smoking as well. We need to start a stop smoking support group here on AM...
I quit 16 months ago, best thing I ever did for myself. I had to use champix (varenicline) which is horrible nasty stuff, but it worked and I would do it again even if it were 100 times worse, it was totally worth it.

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
I've quit so many times only to relapse on the weekends after some drinks. Halfway through the week after quitting I feel ai good..

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Why do people post topics like this. "Is it true?" Use common sense, smoking cigs isn't the best thing to do period. There is not a "good" or "bad" time to do it either. No further questions about it

CaptHowdy5150

CaptHowdy5150

Awards
  • Established
Capt thatd actually be a great idea lol. i feel like im right on the verge of quitting but i just havent done it yet..idk why. like i stopped buying cartons, just a pack at a time now all i have to do is just STOP which i havent done yet :X
I left myself one cigarette for this morning. I had it about 8 AM and haven't had another the rest of the day. I was highly tempted to buy a pack, but I resisted. Hopefully I can keep that up and be done with it. I've quit before for 8 months and I felt so freakin good, but it was extremely hard. I don't care how hard it is, it's something that I need to do. If you need some support, shoot me a message and I'll do what I can.

mTmatthews51

mTmatthews51

Awards
I got a buddy going through the same thing. He's switching to the electronic cigarette but remember you can do it.

stankyleg

stankyleg

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just started a thread called "freedom from tobacco support group." I put it in general chat. Lets go!

stankyleg

stankyleg

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks bro. Its a real pain in the ass to do a link from this phone.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I just started a thread called "freedom from tobacco support group." I put it in general chat. Lets go!
I think that's great. This habit can really hinder your stamina and muscle growth. Good luck bro. The more you lift, the less time you'll find to smoke.

mylo

mylo

Awards
i'm surprised no one mentioned that along with raising cortisol it raises insulin and human growth hormone. this is one of the reasons it helps you cut down on fat. i'm not the cutting type as i'm just going for straight power when i lift, but for the bodybuilders here: a nicotine patch on a cutting cycle (for those who would rather not juice) might be helpful.

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
I saw a picture of carrot top smoking while doing curls and he's ****in jacked!

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
When I quit smoking - it was totally like being on gear that didn't have to be cycled and would never shut you down.

Seriously - the gains just POURED on - you have no idea until you've tried this.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
but hey when you quit smoking did you see like noticeable changes in your muscles like how could you tell they got bigger from quitting smoking and not just from your workouts lol
I smoked for about a month in the middle of a bulk last winter. I'm not sure about the blood vessel restriction and whatnot, but it definitely suppressed my appetite, and when I quit I did notice that I had more endurance in the gym. Overall I felt a lot better in the gym when I quit, but that's just my 2¢.