What's more annoying?

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
What do you find more aggravating/annoying?
A) The guy who grunts like a wild boar during mating season
B) The guy who finds it necessary to pretend he's Wiz Kalifa in the mirror between sets

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
B) The guy who finds it necessary to pretend he's Wiz Kalifa in the mirror between sets
A muthaphucka askin me how many sets I got left... Hit another exercise and check back in a few minutes...
Just because u asked me I got 3 more :p

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Neither, the guy who is hogging the weights I want...

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ask him how many sets he has left...
LMAO!

I have since enjoyed working out at home. Though I do go to the gym once or twice a month. When I move back to hawaii I know i'm going to run in to these fools who hog stuff, make noise, etc... sigh... and I'm going to probably be working a normal job and have no choice but to hit the gym at the busy times... :(

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
LMAO!

I have since enjoyed working out at home. Though I do go to the gym once or twice a month. When I move back to hawaii I know i'm going to run in to these fools who hog stuff, make noise, etc... sigh... and I'm going to probably be working a normal job and have no choice but to hit the gym at the busy times... :(
U still be teaching right? When & why u moving back? How u end up there anyways?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
U still be teaching right? When & why u moving back? How u end up there anyways?
JET program. Teaching english in Japan. Max 5 years, Max pension 3 years. I'm on my third year. Going back in Late July. Probably go back home and work at a Hotel. The new Disney Resorts look pretty good.... lol. maybe I can workout there! :D

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
Dont have any problems with anything/anyone any more :hump: have more then enough gear in my garage, shifting between rentals every yr or so is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
I put in head phones and ignore people when they try to talk to me..

The guy who blocks the entire rack doing entirely too much weight, with what has got to be painful form, .. You know him .. Doing alternating curls of 60lb with 10" biceps

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I hate when your just trying to lift alone, do your own stuff sometimes im in a terrible mood and just want to go about my business and get out. And people are either just akwardly close to you doin something they could do on other side of gym where its empty, feel the need to give adivce mid rep, or that akward moment when you know some kid wants to use the area your in but won't say anything and kinda just stares at out even when hes on other side of room just staring.

FBB_Suzanne

FBB_Suzanne

Awards
I put in head phones and ignore people when they try to talk to me..

The guy who blocks the entire rack doing entirely too much weight, with what has got to be painful form, .. You know him .. Doing alternating curls of 60lb with 10" biceps
This! I no longer wait til they are done or even say excuse me. I find it so irritating that they are right in front of the rack that i just shove my way in to get the DBs I want while rolling my eyes and biting my tongue.

TheMaharaja

Awards
grunters are ****ing annoying especially when the weight isnt that much. But high schoolers talking around a piece of equipment are the worst.
Or people who leave a bench, and return 15-20 minutes later, wondering why you're using it.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Grunters get my vote! Also love the people that don't warm up just bro stretch and then try maxing out. Always ends up a pathetic lift and they look like fools. Stupidity is rampant.

joeblow1

Awards
I dont know what a Wiz kalifa is but by its name im sure its annoying. Grunting during deadlifts or squats understandable but doing curls un necessary.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Why is this so annoying to you?
Because sometimes I don't know how many sets I have left. Plus I don't like to feel rushed... When I'm done I'm done.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I dont know what a Wiz kalifa is but by its name im sure its annoying. Grunting during deadlifts or squats understandable but doing curls un necessary.
Wiz is a rapper mane lol

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Grunters. People who cannot rerack the plates really piss me off too. Dont leave 225 on the squat rack cuz maybe my girl wants to use it next.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ok so that would definately piss me off. Some a hole singing in front of the mirror would be annoying. I hate when idiots distract my training sessions with nonsense.
:laughing:

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
B

The ridiculous grunts on EVERY rep are annoying, but I blast my iPod, anyway, so it doesn't bother me that much.

For whatever reason, I absolutely cannot STAND people who flex in the mirrors. I don't know why, because I know it's becoming more commonplace, but it just is bad etiquette in my opinion. Save it for when you're there at night and no one else is or for the bathroom mirror. I'd be lying if I said I didn't flex, but I do that at home if I want to look. Now I'm not saying I don't sneak a glance in the mirror when I'm carrying a 95lb DB to see how my tricep separation is looking, and I obviously look during sets, but just full-on flexing or even worse, the lifting up of the shirt to look at "abs" (this is in quotations because the majority of the time, it's someone who is rail skinny and you just see ribs) irritates me to no end.

GaDawgs29

Awards
I think its more annoying to the guy walking around giving advice on technique when he then does butt bobbs as squats and rocks his bicep curls and then grunts while doing it.

shiggy504

shiggy504

Awards
I hate a ****tard who puts the db in the wrong place.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because sometimes I don't know how many sets I have left. Plus I don't like to feel rushed... When I'm done I'm done.
Ahh I see where you're coming from, if I ask I always tell the person don't feel rushed at all ill get something done in the mean time.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No "curls in the squat rack" option?

Question is invalid.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate it when people squat in the curl rack!

TheMaharaja

Awards
its not to rush the person (in my case), I just wanna know if I should go do another exercise. if somebody will be spending 5-10 mins on a piece of equipment and its too much of a hassle to work in, might as well not sit around waiting for that to happen, and miss out on another piece of equipment (my gym sucks).

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I don't have a problem with the guys flexing but I can't stand the people doing circuits hogging up like four things then act so surprised when u jump on their sh*t

And leave a lil something at each piece of equip to mark their territory.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I don't have a problem with the guys flexing but I can't stand the people doing circuits hogging up like four things then act so surprised when u jump on their sh*t

That really annoys the crap out of me too!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I understand...
I'll take note of the how many sets you have left and be a bit more friendlier next time.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
I'll go with A, though neither phase me, i'm in MY zone when im in the gym, have my ipod in, move from machine to machine, i barely notice anybody else there.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its not to rush the person (in my case), I just wanna know if I should go do another exercise. if somebody will be spending 5-10 mins on a piece of equipment and its too much of a hassle to work in, might as well not sit around waiting for that to happen, and miss out on another piece of equipment (my gym sucks).
Yeah, I'm the same way. And I, too, tell people it's no rush. But most people have a set workout of X number of sets, so I just want to know if I caught them at the start or the finish.

My gym is very small and they've recently brought on a 2nd trainer. Both of these guys are cross-fit nuts (which is fine; to each his own), but they train ALL of their clients that way. So, what the result is, now, is not one, but two trainers at the exact same time running the exact same type of workouts, which results in 2 clients at 4-8 stations. Couple that with the fact that one guy trains 2-3 kids, together, so they all do the same thing at the same time.

My gym also only has 3 olympic bars - 1 in the squat/curl (lol) rack, 1 on the flat bench, 1 on the incline bench. That is it and there are no spares. There is, however, a barbell that has only a foot of space on each end and probably weighs 30 pounds or so. The trainers, now, have decided to randomly take an olympic bar and keep it in their little station (filled with bands, balance balls and like 2 kettle bells), along with a ton of plates (of which, you guessed it, the gym has very few of). So, I get in to do my workout, or move to a station only to find no bar and I have to walk all over the place in search of it. I'll strip their weights off of it and move it, too. What's frustrating is that they're very rarely using it, but they never put it away. They also don't re-rack the plates and sometimes the DBs.

Oh, and people have been stealing the clips, so we literally only have 4, now (enough for 2 bars).

I kind of hate my gym. lol

Marms

Marms

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Grunters its great when 2 are working out together just call them TEAM SCREAM then they usually stop or leave lol

How about the stranger that walks up and says hey how long u been working out ?
Answer I just started today ! they leave as well :)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Grunters its great when 2 are working out together just call them TEAM SCREAM then they usually stop or leave lol

How about the stranger that walks up and says hey how long u been working out ?
haha.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'm the same way. And I, too, tell people it's no rush. But most people have a set workout of X number of sets, so I just want to know if I caught them at the start or the finish.

Ditto!

My gym is very small and they've recently brought on a 2nd trainer. Both of these guys are cross-fit nuts (which is fine; to each his own), but they train ALL of their clients that way. So, what the result is, now, is not one, but two trainers at the exact same time running the exact same type of workouts, which results in 2 clients at 4-8 stations. Couple that with the fact that one guy trains 2-3 kids, together, so they all do the same thing at the same time.

My gym also only has 3 olympic bars - 1 in the squat/curl (lol) rack, 1 on the flat bench, 1 on the incline bench. That is it and there are no spares. There is, however, a barbell that has only a foot of space on each end and probably weighs 30 pounds or so. The trainers, now, have decided to randomly take an olympic bar and keep it in their little station (filled with bands, balance balls and like 2 kettle bells), along with a ton of plates (of which, you guessed it, the gym has very few of). So, I get in to do my workout, or move to a station only to find no bar and I have to walk all over the place in search of it. I'll strip their weights off of it and move it, too. What's frustrating is that they're very rarely using it, but they never put it away. They also don't re-rack the plates and sometimes the DBs.

Oh, and people have been stealing the clips, so we literally only have 4, now (enough for 2 bars).

I kind of hate my gym. lol
That sucks! I hate when people steal equipment! And that's just the least of ur problems. Change gyms dude. Its not worth it, unless it's free. Lol.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That sucks! I hate when people steal equipment! And that's just the least of ur problems. Change gyms dude. Its not worth it, unless it's free. Lol.
Close to it, lol. I pay $20/month and that includes unlimited tanning. It's also only 3 minutes to my house and open 24/7/365.

Plus, I'm locked into another year of the contract that I'd have to pay to break unless I move 25+ miles from here. In all honesty, I didn't expect to be living down here more than a year and it's been just over 2, already.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
Close to it, lol. I pay $20/month and that includes unlimited tanning. It's also only 3 minutes to my house and open 24/7/365.

Plus, I'm locked into another year of the contract that I'd have to pay to break unless I move 25+ miles from here. In all honesty, I didn't expect to be living down here more than a year and it's been just over 2, already.
I got ya. Well if it's 24 hrs, that's great. My gym is too. But those 2 trainers can't be hogging all the equipment all the time then. I hear u on the distance too. I makes a huge difference when u live close.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
My other favorite question:
Stranger approaches after staring for 10 minutes: Duuude, what supplements are you taking?
Quickly whip my head in his direction and snap "Protein!" then walk away humored yet aggravated he didnt question my diet.

I don't have a problem with the guys flexing but I can't stand the people doing circuits hogging up like four things then act so surprised when u jump on their sh*t.
When I am doing circuit or supersets I always time my workouts off peak hours when I know less people will be there. The gym I have near me actually has a machine circuit set up away from everything else with all Nautilus motions. Pretty clever.

Ahh I see where you're coming from, if I ask I always tell the person don't feel rushed at all ill get something done in the mean time.
You dont mean to be a dick but you wanna let someone know kindly that you would like to use the equipment and also for you to gauge how much time until its available.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I don't have a prob with the circuit trainers but don't get upset when I work in ya know

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I forgot how much i dislike the "All you" phrase until today when I said it.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
I work out LATE at night most the year so I dont have to deal with this... during the summer I workout during the mid morning afternoon and most folks still arent in there till the evening when it starts to cool down...

I hate interruptions or folks on the equipment I need to use, especially when its 2 teenage girls just sitting there laughing at eachother, everytime I hear a girl laugh in the gym it makes me cringe... She needs to be as serious as I am if shes gonna be there, its not a hangout, its a gym.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I work out LATE at night most the year so I dont have to deal with this... during the summer I workout during the mid morning afternoon and most folks still arent in there till the evening when it starts to cool down...

I hate interruptions or folks on the equipment I need to use, especially when its 2 teenage girls just sitting there laughing at eachother, everytime I hear a girl laugh in the gym it makes me cringe... She needs to be as serious as I am if shes gonna be there, its not a hangout, its a gym.
I hear ya... I used to wait till around 1am to workout in my college days to avoid people... Gym time is gym time, go there do work, leave so you don't bother others.

McCoy1989

Awards
Tiny boys throwing their weights into the rack and then jumping up to make sure everyone just saw that they finished a set AND/OR slamming the machines with cables and plates between each rep. And honestly I'd say the guy who brings a cloud of axe body spray with him around the gym is pretty awful too...

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
I hear ya... I used to wait till around 1am to workout in my college days to avoid people... Gym time is gym time, go there do work, leave so you don't bother others.
Literally it was just me and the front desk dude in the gym tonight... Couldnt ask for much more then a whole gym to yourself.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I'm doing a heavy week, I don't mind as much, since I rest quite a bit between sets. During high intensity week, though, I time my workouts, so I hate the interruptions, as well.

And yeah, whether it's young girls or stupid teenage boys in a group of 5, it drives me nuts. If they're in my way, I'll usually ask if I can work in (or if they're d-bags, I'll just tell them I'm going to). One of the perks to looking bigger and intimidating (my awesome beard receives most of the credit for this).

Tiny boys throwing their weights into the rack and then jumping up to make sure everyone just saw that they finished a set AND/OR slamming the machines with cables and plates between each rep. And honestly I'd say the guy who brings a cloud of axe body spray with him around the gym is pretty awful too...
We have the rubber-coated DBs and the 70's, 80's and 100's are all either both missing coating, or at least one is. It makes it incredibly difficult to progress properly when doing DB work; jumping from 65 to 75 isn't always going to work.

The trainer had some guy with the 100's, walking them from end to end of the gym, 2 nights ago. He wasn't doing lunges, or anything, but he'd grunt the whole time he walked with them. I almost told him that the 95's weigh more than the 100's since they're missing the coating, but I just passed on that one. Luckily, since they were missing the rubber, it didn't matter, but he would just throw them at the end, rather than take the effort to do a quarter-squat and place them down. D-bag.

Then we've got our good friend who I call "quarter-rep" at the gym. The kid is in decent shape, but he'll load things with absurd amounts of weight and not even get halfway through the ROM. I thought, at first, that maybe he was just doing this on certain lifts for a period of time to increase strength (purposely doing partials), but I've confirmed this is most certainly not the case. He's the kid who loads 4 plates on the squat rack, barely gets a bend in his knees and then claims he squats 405.

*sigh*