Training and congestion/sinus irritation

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys, I've been trying to work through this for some time now but it's gotten pretty bad lately. Just trying to see if anybody else has had this problem before.

Seems just about every time I hit the gym, I start hacking stuff out of my throat and my nose starts dripping. By the end of the workout it gets to the point where I have the gag reflex, I barely make it through a set without my nose running, and all of this combined leaves me with the worst headache ever. Sometimes it's hard to complete my scheduled program for the day.
By the time I get home, I'm back to normal.

I have tried switching up supps around training time, even abstaining all together, and same thing happens still.

A little background...I've had my nose broken a handful of times throughout the years and have never seen a doctor from it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, and repped :)

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
It sounds like acute bronchitis...have you had a cold recently. A normal cold can sometimes lead to bronchitis. Where there is hacking, mucus coming up. Do you feel like you have a temp?

Working out and exerting yourself causes your body to react more harshly to any sickness, even with a regular cold because you are using your lung more for breathing and what not. Once you stop breathing so hard, it calms down. You are irritating it more with exercising. You need lots of liquids, cough med with an expectorant. DO you feel extra tired too? Taking b complex?

Def may need to go to the doc. though if it gets worse. I don't think it has anything to do with a broken nose though.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
No symptoms at all when you aren't at the gym though? Maybe their HVAC needs a good cleaning?

ManBeast

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Banthony, I don't think it is cold related just simply because it has been happening for such a long time now, around a year.

ManBeast, no symptoms come to mind. I do cough sh!t up time to time at home, but that may be normal.
And the HVAC is a good thought, but I frequent 3 different gyms.

Another thing I thought of is maybe because I used to smoke and I might have bad lungs.

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
Banthony, I don't think it is cold related just simply because it has been happening for such a long time now, around a year.

ManBeast, no symptoms come to mind. I do cough sh!t up time to time at home, but that may be normal.
And the HVAC is a good thought, but I frequent 3 different gyms.

Another thing I thought of is maybe because I used to smoke and I might have bad lungs.
Smoking could have something to do with it. My brother used to smoke and dip and he would hack junk up all the time when he wasn't doing it. Gross habits, good thing you quit. Been trying to get my BF to quit, but he says his job is too stressful. (he's a cop). How did you quit?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Smoking could have something to do with it. My brother used to smoke and dip and he would hack junk up all the time when he wasn't doing it. Gross habits, good thing you quit. Been trying to get my BF to quit, but he says his job is too stressful. (he's a cop). How did you quit?
I quit smoking by starting chewing lol. Then I quit that by either chewing sunflower seeds a lot or having a toothpick in my mouth.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
perfect so for his bday in march i'll buy him i can of dip, 3 bags of sunflower seeds, and a case of toothpicks!
There you go, and throw in a gym membership. If he has an addictive personality, he should be able to replace his current habit with a better one ;)

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
haha yea he does, but he has a free gym at his pd! i'll find him another addiction :) Good luck with your sickness!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Training does cause some vasodilation to the nose and this can be amplified with certain stims (e.g. 1,3, Ephedrine, Alpha Y). Are you partially congested throughout the year? Even minor obstruction (I feel the pain of a jacked up nose as one side of my sinus cavity is messed up) technically qualifies as congestion and is a symptom of minor allergy to a component of your diet.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Training does cause some vasodilation to the nose and this can be amplified with certain stims (e.g. 1,3, Ephedrine, Alpha Y). Are you partially congested throughout the year? Even minor obstruction (I feel the pain of a jacked up nose as one side of my sinus cavity is messed up) technically qualifies as congestion and is a symptom of minor allergy to a component of your diet.
This makes sense to me. I do take 1,3 products a few days a week, trying to stay away from them lately. And I am congested slightly pretty much all year round.
You take any nasal sprays or anything?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My congestion is a result of eating poorly. If I take out the wheat, then I'm generally ok and have no problems. If I take a Bronkaid, then I might have a slightly runny nose, but nothing big.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I may have to try altering my diet. I have a feeling I'm gluten intolerant.
And if I eat a tuna sandwich on bread for my preworkout meal or too much pasta I get nasty heartburn.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I may have to try altering my diet. I have a feeling I'm gluten intolerant.
And if I eat a tuna sandwich on bread for my preworkout meal or too much pasta I get nasty heartburn.
Heartburn is a different issue altogether as it is a lack (yes, a lack) of stomach acidity. Easy solution to heartburn is to take a shot of vinegar. Eating fruits like pineapple and mango also contain enzymes to help breakdown food.

kaikara

kaikara

Awards
  • Established
My congestion is a result of eating poorly. If I take out the wheat, then I'm generally ok and have no problems. If I take a Bronkaid, then I might have a slightly runny nose, but nothing big.
I'm in this same boat. I wouldn't say my eating habits are poor, but my body sure doesn't like wheat. I tried the keto diet for a bit and my constant congestion cleared right up. I'm working on transitioning back into that as soon as I eat up all the grains that are currently in my house.

The Cold

Awards
You may want to try oil pulling. It has been effective for all kinds of ailments, especially sinus/nasal problems.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You may want to try oil pulling. It has been effective for all kinds of ailments, especially sinus/nasal problems.
I'm all ears

The Cold

Awards
In the morning, before breakfast on an empty stomach you take one tablespoon in the mouth but do not swallow it. Move Oil Slowly in the mouth as rinsing or swishing and Dr Karach puts it as ' sip, suck and pull through the teeth' for fifteen to twenty minutes. This process makes oil thoroughly mixed with saliva. Swishing activates the enzymes and the enzymes draw toxins out of the blood. The oil must not be swallowed, for it has become toxic. As the process continues, the oil gets thinner and white. If the oil is still yellow, it has not been pulled long enough. It is then spit from the mouth , the oral cavity must be thoroughly rinsed and mouth must be washed thoroughly. Just use normal tap water and good old fingers to clean. Exerpt from oil pulling.com

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds pretty shady lol...I'll have to read more though, thanks for posting.

The Cold

Awards
Shady? This method has cleared up years of sinus and nasal issues for me in a couple of days. Maybe I should clarify that you use sunflower or some type of vegetable oil.

kaikara

kaikara

Awards
  • Established
You know what I find shady? Inconsistencies.

I went to that website. At the top it says use Vegetable oil, and also states that Sunflower and Sesame Oils are also effective.

At the bottom, it says that any other oil besides Sunflower or Sesame oil may not be effective. No mention of the Vegetable Oil that is recommended in the beginning? Shady.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm reading more, interesting stuff. Trying this when I get home.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You know what I find shady? Inconsistencies.

I went to that website. At the top it says use Vegetable oil, and also states that Sunflower and Sesame Oils are also effective.

At the bottom, it says that any other oil besides Sunflower or Sesame oil may not be effective. No mention of the Vegetable Oil that is recommended in the beginning? Shady.
I've done some google searching and basically decided none of those oils are up my alley with my metal fillings.
I might use coconut oil.

The Cold

Awards
Wow, I just used it for the description. Use any kind of vegetable oil, I use safflower cuz, it's what I have. Oh and is swishing some vegetable oil in your mouth really that scary? This method flat out works and is worth the risk of swishing some veggie oil around in your mouth. Oh I didn't think about problems with fillings so I hope you figure it out Flex. I would also like to apologize for lack of clarity, posted first thing in the A.M. Good luck!

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, I just used it for the description. Use any kind of vegetable oil, I use safflower cuz, it's what I have. Oh and is swishing some vegetable oil in your mouth really that scary? This method flat out works and is worth the risk of swishing some veggie oil around in your mouth. Oh I didn't think about problems with fillings so I hope you figure it out Flex. I would also like to apologize for lack of clarity, posted first thing in the A.M. Good luck!
Reps when I get to a computer. I honestly never even have heard of this until now.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let me know how that treats you, Flexy.

I've always had sinus congestion that's hit and miss for me, but it's never revolved around training. In fact, if anything, that's when it never happens. I've gone GF since Tuesday, so I'm almost a week into it and I'll have to monitor my congestion. I can't recall if I've had any problems since starting or not (though my right nostril is every so slightly congested right now). My dad deals with the same thing and I've always just used Equate sinus pills, but I try to use them only if I absolutely have to.

When I ran E/C in the past, I loved being on Bronkaid--kept the nasal passages real clear.

McCoy1989

Awards
How long has it been since you quit smoking? I quit roughly 4 months ago. I've never had allergies in my life but after I quit smoking I've developed allergies to a variety of things. I think that once my lungs didn't have the tar covering them anymore the surfaces of my lungs and sinuses became far more sensitive to allergens. Try taking an over the counter allergy medication. You may just be reacting to something in the gym.