Need help with workout

Chris528

Chris528

Awards
M looking to build some muscle while losing some fat as well. Im currently at 195 and about 15% body fat. Im taking the LG stack on 1/1 and want to get the most out of it.

I need to figure out what will be the best split. I will be working out 6 days a week (only off on Thursdays). I also want to know how many sets/reps i should be performing. Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Tboz

Banned
Awards
To build muscle while try to reduce fat is hard to do... I would keep your reps in the 8-10 range probally 3-4 sets per exercise..Do like 15-30 mins cardio after workouts.

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
Sounds like you are looking for a "recomp" diet and training program... just keep in mind that while it's possible, you'll be gaining muscle very slowly while losing fat very slowly... very difficult to do both at the same time.

Might almost be better to do a cut, then bulk.

Chris528

Chris528

Awards
Sounds like you are looking for a "recomp" diet and training program... just keep in mind that while it's possible, you'll be gaining muscle very slowly while losing fat very slowly... very difficult to do both at the same time.

Might almost be better to do a cut, then bulk.
I actually already did my main cutting goal. I lost 45 pounds before now and more interested in gaining muscle while losing a little more fat. If i could gain about 20 pounds and stay around the same body fat I would be very happy with that.

Chris528

Chris528

Awards
Would it be a good or bad thing to work each muscle twice a week? I thought about doing heavy weight one day and lighter weight the other.

Thoughts

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Here's my advice, for whatever it's worth.

First off, don't think too much about what muscles you're training. It's not important. Work on compound movements, the closer to full body, the better. Deadlifts, bench, pull-ups, thrusters, etc. These should make 75% of your workouts.

On the diet, it's going to depend a lot on how you train, but I suggest compartmentalizing a bit. Eat above maintenance for 3-5 days/week and below for the rest. Preferably, the above maintenance days will coincide with your strength workouts. If you do separate cardio, do it on the cutting days. Don't obsess over the scale, but along with how you look in the mirror, it will help you to gauge your glycogen levels. If you're looking full and pumped, don't keep eating in excess. Burn off the junk, then start bulking back up again. You could gain 3-5 lbs. every week and drop most of it off the same week by cutting calories, and to some extent, carbs. This is an ideal recomp, IMO.

Chris528

Chris528

Awards
A buddy of mine told me to do 5x5 (5 sets x 5 reps) since im more interested in bulking than cutting would that be alright to do? I figured i could always do it while im on my cycle and try something different afterwards.

Sorry for all the questions.

stillnatural

stillnatural

Awards
The 5x5 would be a good way to go. You will build strength and muscle. If your going to do twice a week for workouts I would probably do 10 to 15 reps on the light day to cut up some. Of course use lighter weight.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
It's not going to matter too much as long as the volume is enough to cause hypertrophy and you have ample recovery time. I've seen very reasonable gains working in the 5 rep range and above. If you get much below that, you'll be taxing the nervous system more than the actual muscle, BUT indirectly, that will probably help you to gain muscle anyway, providing that you occasionally do higher rep sets. Personally, I don't change my workouts much at all based on cutting or bulking, though.

joeblow1

Awards
M looking to build some muscle while losing some fat as well. Im currently at 195 and about 15% body fat. Im taking the LG stack on 1/1 and want to get the most out of it.

I need to figure out what will be the best split. I will be working out 6 days a week (only off on Thursdays). I also want to know how many sets/reps i should be performing. Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris
If your gonna train 6 days a week when do you plan on recovering? All training does is tear down muscle, you grow from resting and eating. Even if you were on juice you would have a hard time making substantial gains 6 days a week. Of course, I am assuming you train balls to the wall and not just bull ****ing around. The main thing that will destroy gains no matter how hard you work or eat is overtraining. Your cns will be so taxed you will start going backwards in progress. I would not go any more than 4 days, if you have a high tolerance maybe 5, but youll be pushing it and you will have to make sure to take extra naps. Make sure to do lots of stretching and SMR, to aide in recovery.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Here's my advice, for whatever it's worth.

First off, don't think too much about what muscles you're training. It's not important. Work on compound movements, the closer to full body, the better. Deadlifts, bench, pull-ups, thrusters, etc. These should make 75% of your workouts.

On the diet, it's going to depend a lot on how you train, but I suggest compartmentalizing a bit. Eat above maintenance for 3-5 days/week and below for the rest. Preferably, the above maintenance days will coincide with your strength workouts. If you do separate cardio, do it on the cutting days. Don't obsess over the scale, but along with how you look in the mirror, it will help you to gauge your glycogen levels. If you're looking full and pumped, don't keep eating in excess. Burn off the junk, then start bulking back up again. You could gain 3-5 lbs. every week and drop most of it off the same week by cutting calories, and to some extent, carbs. This is an ideal recomp, IMO.
This doesn't sound like a bad idea.