Upper Back

AK4lyfe

AK4lyfe

Awards
I feel like I'm lacking in the middle of my upper back and in my rear delts. Can anyone give me some good mass exercises?

My shoulder won't allow me to do overhead presses so I sub those with Arnold presses. And rows don't seem to hit it hard.

Current back day:
Deadlifts w/w/10/8/5
Bent over rows:10/8/5
Seated rows: 10x4
Wide grip pull: 10x3

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I mix in some Bent Over Lateral Raises, and Face Pulls to hit the upper back but other then that there also worked in a good amount of pressing exercises like you said.

Srt4Muscle

Srt4Muscle

Awards
I feel like I'm lacking in the middle of my upper back and in my rear delts. Can anyone give me some good mass exercises?

My shoulder won't allow me to do overhead presses so I sub those with Arnold presses. And rows don't seem to hit it hard.

Current back day:
Deadlifts w/w/10/8/5
Bent over rows:10/8/5
Seated rows: 10x4
Wide grip pull: 10x3
i just built a shoulder workout yesterday in my own workout thread, turned out awesome at the gym today. if you can do arnolds then you can do a standing military press, today was the first day i did them. damn good lift, your elbows stay infront of you more than out to the side so less stress on you joints. we discuss a bunch of stuff in my thread, search opinions on a thread i built. just so you know i suck at building workouts apparently but a couple guys gave me some real insight on whats good and whats not good. im still in the process of building the whole workout. oh and watch the shoulder workout video i posted its so sick, although the guys on the forum ripped it apart and half of it was bad lifts. it was hella motivational...

draft91

Awards
For me the best movement is close grip pull downs. And maybe superset with wide grip barbell rowing

AK4lyfe

AK4lyfe

Awards
Srt thanks for directing me towards that thread it was extremely helpful

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Rack pulls, Hanging high pulls, face pulls with rope.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
Close grip pull ups or pull ups with a V handle if u got one. I love standing military presses. Bent over BB rows, close grip pull downs or pull downs with V handle

Tboz

Banned
Awards
I would try some wide grip pullups, face pulls, bent over db laterals

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Snatch grip dead lifts, snatch grip rack pulls, snatch grip shrugs to add to the list

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Seated alternate dumbell press, reverse flys, supersets incline dumbell bench these seem to help without problems, facepulls and raises can hurt shoulders so not everyone can do them.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I might give these another shot. Last time I used to do them I sprained my wrist, and apparently I was using too wide a grip lol
Do it, I love them. Pulled 350 for a double today snatch grip. Also helps if you use bumper plates that way you can drop it from the lockout rather than worrying about setting it down and expending energy on the eccentric.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I did snatch deads and high pulls tonight. Love it.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Do it, I love them. Pulled 350 for a double today snatch grip. Also helps if you use bumper plates that way you can drop it from the lockout rather than worrying about setting it down and expending energy on the eccentric.
what makes snatch grip affect the back compared to regular DL grip?

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
what makes snatch grip affect the back compared to regular DL grip?
You're much lower in the hole regarding your starting position, and with the wide grip, it forces you to recruit more of your upper back to maintain the weight, especially in the beginning of the movement.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Greater overall trap fiber, rhomboids, and latissismus recruitment

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Face pulls, pullaparts, seated db power cleans, scarcrows

Srt4Muscle

Srt4Muscle

Awards
I forgot my wraps last time I did snatch grip shrugs, so I did one set palms in, two sets power grip, two sets palms out. I been doing them for 2-3 weeks. I can really feel my whole upper back in each rep. When I switched my grip each lift felt so different but in a good way. I don't know how proper it was but I felt it was very effective. I was using lower weight than usual, 185, kept a slight hold at the top of each rep. Thanks to Zir Red for the recommendation.

The Cold

Awards
Standing wide grip trap rows on a low cable machine. They are a great finisher for snatch grip deads.