Pull-ups but shoulder injury

alewisdvm

Awards
Hello,
I have dislocated my shoulder 5 times. Not since 2000, and I have had arthroscopic stabilization surgery.
Unfortunately, the muscular/nerve damage is done, and I still don't have a whole lot of anterior deltoid.

I am wondering if it is still possible to do pull-ups effectively. Maybe not overstretching at bottom?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Certainly. You can try different grip widths and hand positions, and it would probably be a good idea to have a bench beneath you so when you failed you could use it to land on so as not to overstretch. Also could use it for some "oomph" to get a few reps out beyond failure.

charlesn989

charlesn989

Awards
Supine grip is harder at first because the head of your humerus has to twist the labrum, but it helps you get your flexbility and strength back really well

newman897

newman897

Awards
Get a big elastic stretch band, wrap it around the bar and then put your knees in between the loop on the bottom to help take some of the weight off

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Go at it slow, start off just hanging and stretching. I had similar shoulder surgery done a couple years ago, along with my labrum being reattached. Its taken me some time to get some of that ROM back but i will never have it 100%. First time i tried pullups i thought i was going to re-injure it because it didnt feel right, but over time its loosened up some. Good luck and remember, go SLOW.

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
Go at it slow, start off just hanging and stretching. I had similar shoulder surgery done a couple years ago, along with my labrum being reattached. Its taken me some time to get some of that ROM back but i will never have it 100%. First time i tried pullups i thought i was going to re-injure it because it didnt feel right, but over time its loosened up some. Good luck and remember, go SLOW.
I agree with this guy. Your gonna have to be patient with it, but consistency and dedication will pay off over time. Just don't get in a hurry. It could take a year or more before it feels normal/natural again. Cable pull-downs would be a good place to start if you have access to them.