Damn my grinding knee!!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Lately, I notice my right knee makes a grinding noise when I climb stairs. No pain, though. Im assuming this is either an inflammed tendon or rough cartilidge behind the patella. (Chondromalacia)

Funny thing is, my knees feel great after I do squats. Im assuming that this could be my knee isnt tracking right (possibly due to a muscle strength imbalance from lifting).

So Im icing the be-otch down after lifting and at night before bed. And trying this exercise recommended for the rough cartilidge bit:

Put a rolled towl under one leg, and flex your leg straight and squeeze. 2 sets of 20.

Supposed to realign the knee.

Also going to start some joint care supplimentation.

Does it sound like Im on the right track? How long should I wait to see a doctor?

Thanks,
BV

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
My knee has been grinding my whole life. I take lgucosamine/chondriotin/MSM/collagen/fish oil for supplements. I also notice that a REALLY good warm up gets things in order on leg day. I've been getting a feeling of pressure over the past year now just below the knee cap (bursa sack) during and after leg days. EMU oil with oil of oregano rubbed deeply into the area seems to help.

let us know if that excercise works.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Ive read about Emu oil helping with tendonitis. Have you ever tried seeing a chairopractor SJA?

Here's some sites with good info that Ive found:

http://www.medfriendly.com/chondromalaciapatellae.html
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/pfs.html

at the bottom of the page at the 2nd link, they recommend a one let squat to balance out the quad and re-align the knee. I was doing those the other day and noticed that it seemed to help. (before I had even read that)

I think a big issue with me is that Im at a job where Im on my feet 50 hours a week, and overpronate slightly.

As far as that bursa sack, have you tried icing it down 2x a day?

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Ive read about Emu oil helping with tendonitis. Have you ever tried seeing a chairopractor SJA?

Here's some sites with good info that Ive found:

http://www.medfriendly.com/chondromalaciapatellae.html
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/pfs.html

at the bottom of the page at the 2nd link, they recommend a one let squat to balance out the quad and re-align the knee. I was doing those the other day and noticed that it seemed to help. (before I had even read that)

I think a big issue with me is that Im at a job where Im on my feet 50 hours a week, and overpronate slightly.

As far as that bursa sack, have you tried icing it down 2x a day?

I go to a chiropractor once per month (L5 is broken and re-healed) for realignment. So I'm sure that plays into my problem. Also, I think it may be a genetic thing because two of my Brothers and my Father have the same left knee problem :rant: My Dad just got a scraping and my younger Brother will be soon. I say **** that unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks for the links and the icing advice...I'll check them out.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I have a similar problem, I have patellofemoral pain syndrome, which is basically rough cartilidge behind my knee cap. What they gave me was a knee brace to where specifically designed to keep my knee in place to prevent grinding and it slipping out of track. So far it seems to be helping but I still can't do squats without extreme pain.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
That sucks bro. I can hear my knee grinding when I go upstairs, but thats it. I have no pain at all. In fact, squats make it feel better. Maybe its a tendon rubbing against the joint? Have you seen a sports therapist? I know they can smooth out that knee cartilidge with surgery - have you checked that out?

BV

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
That sucks bro. I can hear my knee grinding when I go upstairs, but thats it. I have no pain at all. In fact, squats make it feel better. Maybe its a tendon rubbing against the joint? Have you seen a sports therapist? I know they can smooth out that knee cartilidge with surgery - have you checked that out?

BV
Yeah I got it checked out and even had physical therapy and they said nothing of a surgery. I'm going to have to check into that surgery as soon as I get my insurance back.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MikeSumthin Training Forum 9
thebigt Supplements 30
Nutrition / Health 4
Supplements 10
mixedup Anabolics 4