PT job advice

JayRock

Awards
Ok, I'll try and lay it out as succinctly as possible. I currently work as a 1099 contractor as a PT and I have been doing so at this one location for over two years now. There hasn't been much growth because there is no advertising or marketing, only that which has been done through living social or groupon, and that has never worked out well for anyone. The club is a private, training only club, run by two brothers who are former bodybuilders. They have had the same clients for the past fifteen years with very little growth. The gym has not been updated since it's opened almost fifteen years ago, and most of the clients there are older rich people who all know each other, and that hasn't proven good for new business. The two owners never put money towards the business, plus they put a cap on how much a trainer can earn. All of that doesn't help that it's almost 40 miles from where I live, and that I frequently drive there and back twice a day.

With all of that, a new opportunity has presented itself for me that's only 6 miles from where I live. The gym itself isn't bigger, but it's much more updated and modern. It has a younger, more eclectic clientele, plus the owner is open minded to new ideas and constantly puts money towards his business. They have been in business for over three years, and they have had decent growth since. There is no cap on earnings, plus the business is set up much more effeciently in that they allow free access to the club if the client has personal training package. However, I will be replacing a trainer that announced he was leaving over two months ago. At that time he supposedly had near 20 clients, then when I first started to shadow him two weeks ago he was down to only 6. He was a very poor trainer in that he would text and be on his phone, mumble to his clients, and be nowhere near them while they were doing exercises. He didn't educate them at all, and had no set programs or anything of the sort for anyone. He was young, irresponsible, lived with his parents, and immature as well. He just left last week, and now none of his people will make the move to try my training. I've contacted them numerous times and they are hesitant to make a change. I've offered a free workout to them etc, but nothing. The owner of this business, although he is open, is very disorganized and has no set plans for developing his business. Now, instead of taking on 6 clients which I was told I was going to when I first went in for an interview, I have no clients. There is no one to call, and I'm relying on this groupon deal for 2 personal training sessions and a free massage plus a living social for two months of boot camp classes.

Here's the thing, I am a father of two, my wife works an insane schedule as an RN, and I really need just one job, not trying to juggle two. The first one I wrote about has no future, but it provides, poorly provides, for the present, whereas this new job offers potential for a future, but there's nothing there for the present, and I need to earn money now. What sounds like the better option?
Honestly, I love personal training, but i hate sales, pressuring people, and the fact that my schedule is never concrete and I feel insecure in my job financially. Sometimes I just desire a regular day job with a set schedule, but no one will hire me due to my resume only being applicable to fitness work

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Take the closer option. There's more potential, though you may have start from scratch, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Your new clients (assuming you do a good job) will be your best marketing via word of mouth. Since it is closer, that means you should have some more ties to the community - its time to market yourself.

I've been in your position, so here are some ideas.

Within the gym:

Write short, provocative articles about training/nutrition, conclude with - for more info, or to see in action, contact Jay

Create "gift cards" with a value on them (what ever you charge per hour) and offer them to people. This seems to carry more value in the mind of the consumer than simply saying "want a free session". It is in writing how much your time is worth.

Offer work shops or seminars. This is a chance to put your personality, knowledge, and skills on display. Make them free, people will come, and you will make great connections. You might not sign anyone up that day, but your name will be in their heads in case they ever do consider a PT.

And remember, the rush will start January 2nd.

Outside of the gym:

Market. Visit chiropractors, physical therapy, physicians, etc. etc. Have business cards and gift cards on hand. The best gift card I saw looked just like one of those best buy gift cards you get. It even had a electronic swipe on the back with some fine print. On the front it had the PT's name and 100$. Give some of those out. And remember...cross market. You refer people to them and vice versa. Make sure they know something is it in for the business owner.

Salons, tanning salons, ladies shops. Women make up a huge part of the market, and often are more likely to spend on themselves than men. These are great places to market. Be charming. Offer everyone who works there a few complimentary sessions, drop off some gift cards, etc.

Market the hype of the new years resolution to the community and all these places. Nutrition stores and local dieticians are also great places to go.

Advertise your workshops/seminars to all the above places.

Market at high school sports. Talk to parents about the value of injury preventative and performance with resistance training.
Create some group training (strength, conditioning, and injury prevention) "camps" for various sports. You can coach 5 kids at once at 20/head for 20 sessions throughout the summer. That's 2000 bucks right there for just one sport strength and conditioning camp.

Engagement season and then wedding season is not far off. Offer some bridal boot camps.

Talk to the gym owner and see if you can get a commission for every new member that signs up as well.

Hope that gets the ball rolling.

Br