Gironda 8x8 help

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking to start girondas 8x8 routine for January to put on some lean mass.. Wanna make it a m, w, f split
And train abs and cRdio on lifting days.. Never worked with a split like this.. Always done 4-5x per week and really focused on 3-4 sets of multiple exercises.. Help / advice/ experiences?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you doing it as a split or full body routines? If split just pick 3 or 4 lifts for a bodypart and do 8x8 for each. If full body, I'd recommend 1 push, 1 pull, 1 lower body, and 2-3 accessory movements per day, all 8x8.

You'll have to lighten the loads you're accustomed to using, due to the short rest periods advocated on this routine. I.e., I've squatted 500, but would do 8x8 Gironda Squats with ~250 as a starting point.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you doing it as a split or full body routines? If split just pick 3 or 4 lifts for a bodypart and do 8x8 for each. If full body, I'd recommend 1 push, 1 pull, 1 lower body, and 2-3 accessory movements per day, all 8x8.

You'll have to lighten the loads you're accustomed to using, due to the short rest periods advocated on this routine. I.e., I've squatted 500, but would do 8x8 Gironda Squats with ~250 as a starting point.
I want to do a full split, every body part. How did u like it? What were your results like? My main concern is not enough accessory lifts like for chest I do flat and incline db presses, flat and incline flys, dips and cable crosses. That's 6 lifts (I split those into 3 lifts twice a week. With 8x8 ill only be able to do 4 of those.. So I'm worried complete muscle development will suffer.. Arms/ shoulders im looking forward to but the larger groups, I'm concerned about hitting all angles. Im 160, I'm not extremely strong.. So I'm wondering if I can make gains with this as long as diet is solid. Again. I'd like to Do 3 days only bc I feel like I need the recovery time (currently struggling on a 5 day split trsinig everything except legs trwice in 5 days.

Im thinking
Chest and back-mon
Legs/tris-wed
Shoulders/bis-fri
Abs all 3

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't remember what my results were like, but it's a fun way to train that I use every once in a while.

Really? You're worried that by doing more volume with less movements your going to lose size? I think 32-40sets per bodypart should make any volume junky happy.

You can make gains with any compound-centric routine provided the diet is good. However, this isn't primarily a strength focused routine, so if that's your primary goal, I'd recommend spending some time doing Starting Strength or something similar then progressing to 5/3/1, WSSB or DC.

Legs/tris doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why not google "Gironda 8x8 site:T-nation.com" and use some of the info given there to layout your routine?