I dont wanna be fat anymore

BigLalo

BigLalo

Awards
Hey all
Ok I'm bout 5'7" and 300 lbs. I wanna drop 60-80 lbs. I used to play football in high school and did a lot of weight lifting so that's all I really know but my focus is FAT LOSS now. Any advice on routines, supplementation, or even just an exercise would be a lot of help. Thnx peeps!!!

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
give some more details about what your lifestyle is like, and how active you are.
A good place to start is figuring out your BMR and then adding in the Harris Benedict equation and then dropping a couple hundred calories off of that. 200-500 is a good way to lose weight at a sustained rate.
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

If you are still lifting then as you build muscle you will start to burn more calories feeding that muscle so that caloric deficit will work to your advantage even more.

How much time do you have to workout, and how many days a week?
HIIT cardio is great if you can do it right now, but it is pretty strenuous and no offense but at 300lbs it might be kind of hard on your joints. I know when I got up to 205 at my height I was having some pain doing hard HIIT.
Right now I am doing low intensity steady state cardio which is me waling on a treadmill for 45min to an hour at an incline of 7-10 at a speed of 3mph.
For a workout it really depends on your goals, you can find all kinds of splits and routines to follow. If you played football and lifted then you should know what your body responds to the best and maybe follow something close to that to get started.

When I am trying to cut down I move into more of a circuit style of training and I do it 3 days a week with 3-4 exercises per circuit for 3 sets taking only the time it takes me to walk to each piece of equipment to rest.
I do 3-4 circuits each day and between each circuit I rest for 1-2 minutes before moving onto the next.
As soon as I finish my circuit I move onto 15 minutes of HIIT and then on my off days (I lift M/W/F) on my off days I do an hour of low intensity steady state cardio as listed above and I do that (TU/TH/SAT) resting on Sunday.

Diet is going to be your biggest factor, you can eat 2500 cals of clean food and do great or you can eat 2500 of garbage and not see the results you thought you would. I am sure you already know all of that but it never hurts to go over.

There are guys that are way more knowledgeable than me that will weight in on this, so best of luck to you man and if you have any more questions feel free to ask away

BigLalo

BigLalo

Awards
I work in a warehouse so I walk a lot and as far as time well I have every weekday open and am willing to put in the time needed to get there. I would like the get to 220 but anywhere close is nice. I don't think I look like ur usual 300 lb guy but that's me. I have a few friends that r the same weight but r a lot bigger. My diet is good I've lost bout 40 lbs on the diet alone but I'm still not fit and I feel like a good routine will not only add to the weight loss but also add some definition and sculpting.

divo006

divo006

Awards
My diet is good I've lost bout 40 lbs on the diet alone but I'm still not fit and I feel like a good routine will not only add to the weight loss but also add some definition and sculpting.
thats awesome. its much easier to help when you have your diet routine in check. its hard to help somebody lose weight when they havent realized that their eating habbits have to change first...biggest step is accomplished, props to you. now, on to finding you a good routine for shredding up. when was the last time you were in a weight room?

BigLalo

BigLalo

Awards
thats awesome. its much easier to help when you have your diet routine in check. its hard to help somebody lose weight when they havent realized that their eating habbits have to change first...biggest step is accomplished, props to you. now, on to finding you a good routine for shredding up. when was the last time you were in a weight room?
A couple weeks ago. Once I lost the 40 I started weight training again but my progress seems to be minimal since I'm not really in a routine style I just work out randomly I guess u could say. I been lifting for bout a month and a half or so.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
Definitely limit ur carbs. Train atleast 5 days a week. Doing lots of reps with the right weight. Right weight meaning the heaviest weight u can perform the rep range PROPERLY.

Example:

Mon- back/bis
Bent over row- 4 sets- 12,15,15,15
Lat pull down- 4 sets- 12,15,15,15
Seated cable row- 4 sets- 12,15,15,15
Dumbbell rows-4 sets- 15,15,15,15
Easy bar curls- 2 sets- 15.15
Dumbbell curls- 2 sets- 15,15

Tuesday-chest/tris
Flat bench press- 4 sets- 12,15,15,15
Incline bench press- 4 sets- 12,15,15,15
Flat D/B press- 4 sets- 12,15,15,15
D/B incline flys-4 sets - 15,15,15,15
Tri pushdowns - 4 sets- 15,15,15,15
Lying triceps extensions (skullcrushers) 4 sets - 15,15,15,15

Wednesday- legs/shoulders
Squats- 4 sets- 12,15,15,15
Leg press - 4 sets- 12,15,15,15
Leg extensions- 4 sets- 12,15,15,15
Leg curls- 4 sets- 12,15,15,15
Seated overhead D/B press 4 sets- 12,15,15,15
D/B raises- 4 sets 12,15,15,15

Thursday- off

Friday- repeat Monday

Saturday- repeat Tuesday

Sunday- off

Also I would do 30-60 min of cardio after ur lifting sessions. Again, that was just an example. Modify it however u want. And it's just my opinion.

BigLalo

BigLalo

Awards
That sounds like a hell of a plan. I like it. I really like they way it transitions easy from one exercise to the next. What do u recommend for cardio. Treadmill?

divo006

divo006

Awards
That sounds like a hell of a plan. I like it. I really like they way it transitions easy from one exercise to the next. What do u recommend for cardio. Treadmill?
if you have access to a pool that would be a hell of a lot more effective and less stress on the joints. treadmill runs or fast paced incline walks are a must.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Unless you love cardio, which many people do not, including myself. I would find an activity/sport that you enjoy and perform that 3-4 times a week. Treadmill for me grows tiresome rather quickly. I love sports, so activities like football, basketball, boxing, cycling and the occasional run, have all been of great benefit to me when leaning out. Good luck! :)

newman897

newman897

Awards
Including cardio after workout is great I prefer elliptical instead of treadmill cause treadmill put stress on joints. Something to look into is your max heart rate zone and the. Keeping your heart rate in fat biting zone during cardio.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
If I were u, I would do elliptical, treadmill with incline or the stair machine.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
Or like the others said. Any active sport is good too

greenthumb

Awards
Matts training program looks good. Ive had great success with low carb for fast fat loss. Check out the book TNT DIET. It gives a pretty easy to follow outline for low carb diet. Also check out the "transformations" section in forums on bodybuilding.com, great motivational stories and plans by regular people that have been where you are and have reached they're goals. good luck.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Matts training program looks good. Ive had great success with low carb for fast fat loss. Check out the book TNT DIET. It gives a pretty easy to follow outline for low carb diet. Also check out the "transformations" section in forums on bodybuilding.com, great motivational stories and plans by regular people that have been where you are and have reached they're goals. good luck.
TNT Diet, will look at that myself :)

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I myself like early AM cardio before breakfast ...even 10-15 min on the elliptical will burn up some calories, plus makes me feel more energetic for the day

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
If I were u, I would do elliptical, treadmill with incline or the stair machine.
Cardio isn't as bad for me now that I am back in the swing of things, but when I was still dreading every moment of it and thining about 30minutes to an hour of doing just one thing I ended making myself dread it more than I really did.
So what I did is actually what matt said, but I did all of them for 10-15 minutes so that it kind of broke it up
10 minutes on treadmill
10 minutes on elliptical
10 minutes busting my ass on the stairs

But again like everyone said, diet is the key but you said you are already losing weight which is awesome. But be prepared, what worked when you were heavier for a diet will plateau and you will have to make adjustments to it once you start losing more weight. But it sounds like you have your head on right, and you are really in it for the long haul, so don't worry about any supps unless it is something basic like protein, bcaa or the like. Just keep in the gym and watching what you are eatting. Then once you get down a ways you can start looking into supps to help you get past those plateaus.

BigLalo

BigLalo

Awards
All this info is killer. Thnx a lot I'm feelin pumped and motivated to get to it. But I would like to sup for some extra loss or muscle gain. Maybe a thermogenic or something to help muscle building. I do use amino x from bsn. Again thnx for the info u folks r damn good. I will start a thread tracking my progress this week.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
All this info is killer. Thnx a lot I'm feelin pumped and motivated to get to it. But I would like to sup for some extra loss or muscle gain. Maybe a thermogenic or something to help muscle building. I do use amino x from bsn. Again thnx for the info u folks r damn good. I will start a thread tracking my progress this week.
Cool. Post ur progress.

greenthumb

Awards
Might wanna try a pre-workout powder like N.O. explode or Superpump Max. (many others but those two r the most popular and dont taste too bad) Why I like em is no matter how worn out I am after work, you can slam one of those and your ready to kill!

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
try some craze instead man...wow

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
If you are wanting something that will help with energy, focus and weight lose I would look at Forged burner by NTBM.
2 prior to a workout gave me more energy than any pre-workout I have used.

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
I would just pop a 200mg caffeine pills and some xtend to sip throughout your workout. You dont have to get all crazy supplementing plus its pretty cheap and caffeine acts as a fat burner too!!