confused about how the body recovers itself

Dan

Awards
I've noticed how some people advocate training pushing and pulling muscles on the same day, supposedly to avoid overtraining the bi's and tri's. What I don't understand is how this is any different from working your triceps and biceps on a different day than your back and chest. You are still using the same amount of volume in the end, the only difference is that with push/pull all the damage thats going to be done for tri's or bi's is done on the same day. Is the body able to recover easier this way, or are these push/pull advocates relying on some type of pseudo-science?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I've used both... I prefer to separate them when I'm on something that drastically improves my recovery, and combine them when I'm not. I also adjust total workout volume for that day. So they get trained a bit less than when separated.

ManBeast

Dan

Awards
The reason I'm asking is because I'm using DC training, so biceps are getting hit indirectly on back/tri/chest/shoulder day and directly on the other day.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
or are these push/pull advocates relying on some type of pseudo-science?

:thumbsup:

I always seperate them.

Dan

Awards
Thanks Bobo, thats what I thought. Anyways, I'm going to carefully monitor how much stronger my bi's are getting to make sure they aren't being overtrained.