shoulder pain...frustrateing

divo006

divo006

Awards
i've got this nagging shoulder pain that has been bugging me since friday. friday was a bench press day and im kinda lead to believe it may be caused from it. im really not sure if it may be my rotator cuff or something different. the only way i can explain the pain is when i lift over my head or reach behind my back. its comeing more from the back of my shoulder. its actually a different pain i had the day of bench pressing as that pain was comeing from the side/top of my shoulder and that pain has gone away. if i do a standard pushup, no pain or discomfort, if i push in say an incline position, the pain and discomfort is there. somebody help me out with this please.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The pain at the top of your shoulder is biceps tendonitis. The pain in the read sounds like infraspinatus/teres minor (RC muscles). Do you get pain/sensations when holding your arm out and rotating it (ie: as if you were steering a car with one arm?)

Br

divo006

divo006

Awards
Do you get pain/sensations when holding your arm out and rotating it (ie: as if you were steering a car with one arm?)

Br
yes, it comes more from the back of my shoulder. say if im reaching out right handed and i put pressure from side to side the pain comes more from the back of my shoulder

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Then its likely an infraspinatus/teres minor rotator cuff issue.

There could be some impingement of the tendon. I'd go get it checked out before and take sometime off from pressing exercises. In the meantime, work to stretch your internal rotators (pecs, lats, etc.)

Br

goldberg3672

goldberg3672

Awards
Zir you nailed it right on the head it sounds like. I had shoulder surgery in 03 to repair a shoulder that after the intial injury would contantly re-dislocate. Well unfortunatly now im pleged with those very same symptons. Aside from getting a shot in my shoulder every pther month to keep the tendonitis swelling down, sometimes i just have to back off and let it recover. It sucks. Turning 50 anything for my is probly gonna hurt!

divo006

divo006

Awards
well to update, thanks zir for the info, helped a lot with research on how to handle this. thankfully, i've only added some ibuprofen in the a.m. and p.m. the pain has slowly but surely started to go away. my wife has some light dumbells she uses and i've been useing them to do some light rotator cuff excersizes. i've kept them light and without pain. (knock on wood) seems i may have to go back to the basics in my weight training. lighter weights, stricter form.

im going to go another week with my home remedies and will decide on a doctor visit if the pain has not gone away.

Budman7811

Budman7811

Awards
I have these same pains.... sucks washing my back after working the shoulders hard or benching. I almost wanna say something got pulled out of place. I do a stretch that seems to help some... stretching is now a must. on a wall I place my chest against put one arm out palm flat against wall then like.... peel away putting pressure on the arm for about 20 seconds.... really makes mine feel better. I still have pain trying to reach mid back.

napalm

napalm

Awards
sounds like impingement to me, get it checked

<---forum shoulder surgery leader w 5

divo006

divo006

Awards
I have these same pains.... sucks washing my back after working the shoulders hard or benching. I almost wanna say something got pulled out of place. I do a stretch that seems to help some... stretching is now a must. on a wall I place my chest against put one arm out palm flat against wall then like.... peel away putting pressure on the arm for about 20 seconds.... really makes mine feel better. I still have pain trying to reach mid back.
thats how it was the first couple days but has become less of an issue. work doesnt help much so i've just got to make sure that i dont over do it. if i was you, i would stop with the bench and shoulder workouts for a while. the only shoulder workouts i've done are rotator cuff workouts with 10lb dumbbells. i can now reach behind my neck and over my head with zero pain but i can still feel a bit of tightness in the shoulder.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stretch and lay off working the internal rotators (pecs, anterior delts, lats) and the scap protractors (anterior delts, pecs, pec minor) heavily.

Strengthen the external rotators (posterior delt, teres minor, infraspinatus) and scap ratractors/depressors (mid/lower traps, rhomboids).

Follow this for 4-6 weeks and you should see remarkable improvments, not only in symptoms but also performance.

Br

divo006

divo006

Awards
Strengthen the external rotators (posterior delt, teres minor, infraspinatus) and scap ratractors/depressors (mid/lower traps, rhomboids).

Follow this for 4-6 weeks and you should see remarkable improvments, not only in symptoms but also performance.

Br
do you have an example workout i could possibly use?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wrote a section on here about them. PM me and I'll email you the docs

Br

aceroni

Awards
Yeah dude i had some problem too what you could try is putting facepulls and rotator internal and external rotations, and also band pullaparts. I have been including these in my PREHAB before every time i train with weights and i have seen a remarkable difference in pain reduction

charlesn989

charlesn989

Awards
Yeah dude i had some problem too what you could try is putting facepulls and rotator internal and external rotations, and also band pullaparts. I have been including these in my PREHAB before every time i train with weights and i have seen a remarkable difference in pain reduction

This guy is spot on. What you have done is probably sprained a muscle in your rc. Rest it and work each muscle individually because jthe next thing to go is the labrum!

limitless87

limitless87

Awards
i've got this nagging shoulder pain that has been bugging me since friday. friday was a bench press day and im kinda lead to believe it may be caused from it. im really not sure if it may be my rotator cuff or something different. the only way i can explain the pain is when i lift over my head or reach behind my back. its comeing more from the back of my shoulder. its actually a different pain i had the day of bench pressing as that pain was comeing from the side/top of my shoulder and that pain has gone away. if i do a standard pushup, no pain or discomfort, if i push in say an incline position, the pain and discomfort is there. somebody help me out with this please.
Same issue here.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
sounds like impingement to me, get it checked

<---forum shoulder surgery leader w 5
Damn, ive had one and and still need another to decompress an atrophied nerve under my infraspinatus muscle, but im putting that off for now since it doesnt affect me too much.