How do you lift/train?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Lots of splits and routines out there. I know currently my routine is 3 days off 4 days on.
I usually work 2 muscle groups a day and about 3-4 exercises each muscle group. I may hit cardio on off days or maybe after a workout. My work out is listed below.
Monday: chest and biceps
Tuesday: legs
Thursday: back & calves
Saturday: should & triceps (abs)
My question is I seen a new routine that's 3 days on for lifting the other days are either cardio or off days and the routine is set up like an upper body day and a lower body day with 8 exercises for each day and then there's a full body day.... Does that sound beneficial?
I came across another routine that's 4 days on as well 2 uppers and 2 lowers. It seems with these routines you get make-up time if you didn't hit it hard enough the last time and more opportunity to work the muscle as I heard you only need 48 hours to recover usually. It just these routines seem intense but do you think they will give better gains to a novice?

Finally what are some favorite splits & routines you guys like?

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
I LOVED 3x a week splits, and FULLBODY routines. Done M,W,F. Lots of recovery time, and just make sure you make the lifts count ie: Lots of compounds.

I really dont know why more people dont train like this, I myself recently fell into the bodypart splits (5 days a week) and def. didnt make any better gains.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I LOVED 3x a week splits, and FULLBODY routines. Done M,W,F. Lots of recovery time, and just make sure you make the lifts count ie: Lots of compounds.

I really dont know why more people dont train like this, I myself recently fell into the bodypart splits (5 days a week) and def. didnt make any better gains.
You think your gains are better on 3 day full body split.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Tues ME lower
Thurs ME press
Sat DE lower
Sun DE press

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
How many exercises for each muscle group?
1-2 depending on where im sucking. its westside

thursday would go like this

BP variantion to 3rm or 1rm
tricep pressing movement like db press 3 x whatever
tricep pushdown 3 x whatever
front + rear raisies 2-4 x whatever
heavy abs

i do back on lower days, thats only difference in my version vs the original. you add or subtract exercsies for muscle groups as you need to.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

This is working well fore me also. I got into the body building " 1 million sets of 1 million exercises per body part" ok bit of an exaggeration. But There was some serious overtraining going on with me. once I started HIgh Intensity Training with a 3 day full body workout. Been awesome. Lots of energy, not over training. lost some weight might I add(FAT). I still get a day I just want to bang out a body part or two...and its fun. but I go right back to my 3 fullbody workouts for the time being.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
This is working well fore me also. I got into the body building " 1 million sets of 1 million exercises per body part" ok bit of an exaggeration. But There was some serious overtraining going on with me. once I started HIgh Intensity Training with a 3 day full body workout. Been awesome. Lots of energy, not over training. lost some weight might I add(FAT). I still get a day I just want to bang out a body part or two...and its fun. but I go right back to my 3 fullbody workouts for the time being.
How many exercises for each muscle do you do when you're on a full body?

Can you give me a daily breakdown and how long does it take to complete your work out?

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OK this is like the Basic of basic routine. You can switch out for appropriate body parts. I do a different exercise each day to mix it up a bit. But stick to the basics.
warm up for 5-10 minutes on bike treadmill
then 1 -2 warmup sets then 1 all out b@lls to the wall set!!!!

leg curl
leg extension
leg press
straight arm pullover
benchpress
bentover row
overhead press
biceps curl
tricep extension
wrist curl
standing calf raise
trunk curl

Like I said. This was the basic. Lately Ive been doing squats first on one day, Deadlifts on another...so on and so forth
usually takes anywhere between 45 -60 minutes.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
OK this is like the Basic of basic routine. You can switch out for appropriate body parts. I do a different exercise each day to mix it up a bit. But stick to the basics.

leg curl
leg extension
leg press
straight arm pullover
benchpress
bentover row
overhead press
biceps curl
tricep extension
wrist curl
standing calf raise
trunk curl

Like I said. This was the basic. Lately Ive been doing squats first on one day, Deadlifts on another...so on and so forth
So that's like you're 6-9 sets for a muscle group each week depending on the exercise if my math is correct.
Doesn't sound too bad. I usually do about 3 exercises each group and about 3-4 sets once per week. I feel like I need more...

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah..when you think about like as the full week the yes..your htting each body part 3 times....I love it. Like I said. I still have days Im shot(work in a metal shop, very physical) so I go in and bang out like 2-3 body parts, bodybuilding style(more for the pump). The days I feel good and fresh...HEAVY WEIGHTS.....LOTS OF PAIN!!!!

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
dc for me. not right now though as im still rehabing from shoulder surgery. im able to lift now with light weights but no where near ready for dc. hopefully by late spring or summer ill be ready to get back to it

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
yeah..when you think about like as the full week the yes..your htting each body part 3 times....I love it. Like I said. I still have days Im shot(work in a metal shop, very physical) so I go in and bang out like 2-3 body parts, bodybuilding style(more for the pump). The days I feel good and fresh...HEAVY WEIGHTS.....LOTS OF PAIN!!!!
I may try it again about 2-3 exercises each muscle group full body. Last time I tried it I was exhausted....

Wonder if that will yield better results.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
when I break it down. its really only like 1-2 exercises. I mean when I do leg ext and leg curls...they are kinda THE warmup for HEAVY leg press or squats other than that its really only 1 exercise per body part. Try that..just 1 exercise...then after a week or two ad an additinal exercise IF you feel the need. Usually my second exercise is more of a pump....example bench press...then if Im feeling froggy, Ill do pec deck or cable cross over...Same thing with back...Bent over rows, then if and only if im feelingit...then maybe a lighter set of lat pull downs.
But dont over do it....start off real basic pick like 6-8 exercises...then depending how you feel, add in an exercise or two. You wont believe how, by just adding 1 new exercise to the routine, you will feel it. And may choose not to next time

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
when I break it down. its really only like 1-2 exercises. I mean when I do leg ext and leg curls...they are kinda THE warmup for HEAVY leg press or squats other than that its really only 1 exercise per body part. Try that..just 1 exercise...then after a week or two ad an additinal exercise IF you feel the need. Usually my second exercise is more of a pump....example bench press...then if Im feeling froggy, Ill do pec deck or cable cross over...Same thing with back...Bent over rows, then if and only if im feelingit...then maybe a lighter set of lat pull downs.
But dont over do it....start off real basic pick like 6-8 exercises...then depending how you feel, add in an exercise or two. You wont believe how, by just adding 1 new exercise to the routine, you will feel it. And may choose not to next time
I think that's the problem I was doing like 2 exercises each group lol.
Do you have a week where you go light/heavy or do it through out the week?

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh yeah I forgot a major part..You def need a log book. Find out what you 8 rep max is.....once you do that..you stay on that weight until you can do 12 reps...may take a week or may take a month...but then and only then you move up only 5-10 pounds. So your about 6-8 reps. And repeat. Cool thing is you SEE yourself getting stronger..your log dont lie to you. And also, like i was saying, somedays Im burnt out, but I only gave times on certain days to train, so Ill go in and YES do lighter weiht higher reps, still though, with that intensity. You will learn your body and only YOU will know for certain if you need to tone it down a bit

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
DC changed the way I approach working out. I don't follow it anymore because at my age I'm more prone to injuries. I did 3 sets of reverse grip pull downs for triceps and I was out for six months Where I could not button a shirt due to tears in both my wrists. Not to mention the common shoulder problems.

But it gave me new pespective to training and I have been adding reps or adding weights for the past 6 months. Some of it regaining what I lost of course but I also hit new PRs.

Johny is right on about the log book (sorry, it said I cannot rep you again aI have to spread the love first grrrr). If there is only one thing you can incorporate, it is keeping a log book and trying to beat it every week. I write down my workouts, weights, reps, and comments if I had any and every time I hit the gym, my goal is to get 1 more rep or add more weight and I rely heavily on my log book. I'm trying to think of new things to add to the log to make it more helpful in the future.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A mix of Westside and 5/3/1. It keeps things fresh and trains all three areas (max effort, dynamic effect, repetition).

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Exactly. I have like 3 books from the last 3 years..LOL. But I go back and check notes...For instance. I remember when I was trying to get a certain weight for barbell curls. In my notes it said the week before I got the reps I was looking for BUT I loosened form and rest paused for last 2. To me that doesnt mean I GOT the weight. When you can get to your target with strict form and no compromises is only when you move up. You really need to leave your ego at the door...and be honest with yourself

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I've been looking at routines on muscle and brawn and also other sites. May switch to a full body to hit my muscles multiple time per week.

^Why do you think the fullbody work out routines work so well? It can be major intensity is it because you using it multiple times per week?

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally from experience..I cant really keep up with the bodybuilding volume 5-6 days a week, unless Im on some "Goodies". When training all natural, at least for me, get burnt out quick. I mean I can do it for maybe a month maybe 2 but after that I lose motivation no energy. Just plain sucks...Dont get me wrong Body building is what got me into lifting.
Why I think 3 fullbody workouts is that your hitting everything, producing a good anabolic environment to grow, and you get to rest alot more often. When you hit the weights again, you hit the same muscles again, repeat...you know. Hey you may love it and then move on after that. For now thats whats working for me. Winter is here so I like to lift as heavy as possible(hold a little more bodyweight) But I cant necessarily do 1 rep max deadlifts(seeing how I hit 500 pounds last winter) 3 times a week. Your endocrine system cannot keep up. So I so like 2 fullbodies and a leg day or say deadlift day.
There is no set in stone workout. You have the basics that work. A basic rep range that works. But after a little while certain things that are working for others may not work for you, hence the reason I suggest to give a try for a couple months

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^Why do you think the fullbody work out routines work so well? It can be major intensity is it because you using it multiple times per week?
It's a shot in the dark, but a very high GH release (and more IGF-1?) from such a high intensity workout may play a role. It's like high volume workouts except without the overtraining and subsequent negative effects associated with high volume, so you have better recovery and frequency (same body parts being hit 3x week = 3x growth).

I have a few friends who are very injury prone, and I always recommend they do full body workouts. It's the best for them. That way, no heavy weights to push their stabilizers, no huge volume to exhaust small muscles that can put them at risk of injury, and they are able to lift for a year straight at least without interruption, and they grow from it.

Roller2200

Awards

leg curl
leg extension
leg press
straight arm pullover
benchpress
bentover row
overhead press
biceps curl
tricep extension
wrist curl
standing calf raise
trunk curl

Just joined up today. I been hitting the gym consistently since my early 20s (presently 40ish). I mix up my routines every couple months to keep the muscles stimulated. I like this full body 3x week routine. I think i gonna start it tomorrow. I appreciate your input.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
This is what I'm going to try just have to throw in some shrugs an wrist curls :)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Tried last night worked out ok, lagged a bit but non the less it was great. 1 thing I noticed is that by doing this it seems you can actually keep ya strength up too.
I thought this routine was a beginners only full body but it nice to know that some advanced users are doing it too most guys do splits or 1 group a week type of deal....

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
in the past i have done most things from full body everyday to total minutia body part splits spread over 7 days. most didnt work as i didnt get all the variables right.

currently i do:
tuesdays squat
thursdays bench
friday deadlifts
sunday overhead when i train solo, strongman day if i train with friends

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I prefer mostly full body, although I do have to keep some things in mind since I workout 5-6 days a week. For example, if I do a bunch of tractor tire flips on Monday, I won't be deadlifting for a few days. I do very little isolation work, but I do add some towards the end of my workouts if there's an area I think I need to bring up. I'd say what I do would be best described as a cross between CrossFit, strong man, circuit training, and a little bit of bodybuilding, partially for vanity, partially to increase my capacity for certain full body moves.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I prefer mostly full body, although I do have to keep some things in mind since I workout 5-6 days a week. For example, if I do a bunch of tractor tire flips on Monday, I won't be deadlifting for a few days. I do very little isolation work, but I do add some towards the end of my workouts if there's an area I think I need to bring up. I'd say what I do would be best described as a cross between CrossFit, strong man, circuit training, and a little bit of bodybuilding, partially for vanity, partially to increase my capacity for certain full body moves.
Wish I had access to tire flips

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I have three huge tractor tires and didn't pay for any of them. Farmers are usually happy to find someone who wants them when they're done.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I have three huge tractor tires and didn't pay for any of them. Farmers are usually happy to find someone who wants them when they're done.
i can second that. the guy i got my 3 tires from wanted to pay me! lol. seriously. if you cant find a local farmer see if you can find like a john deere or caterpillar dealership.

now if i could just find some empty kegs........

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
i can second that. the guy i got my 3 tires from wanted to pay me! lol. seriously. if you cant find a local farmer see if you can find like a john deere or caterpillar dealership.

now if i could just find some empty kegs........
They won't fit in the back of my G35. Maybe back in Ohio I could get some tires but in Florida probably a no-go

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I did 5/3/1 for about a year.
Im just now switching over to WSC

ME Press
ME Lower
Off
DE Press
Off
DE Lower
Off

I do back on press days unlike geekpoop. My set up is based of louie's book.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did 5/3/1 for about a year.
Im just now switching over to WSC

ME Press
ME Lower
Off
DE Press
Off
DE Lower
Off

I do back on press days unlike geekpoop. My set up is based of louie's book.
You might want to switch the days around to not have the ME on back-to-back days. DE can be done on back-to-back days, though.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You might want to switch the days around to not have the ME on back-to-back days. DE can be done on back-to-back days, though.
Agreed. I do like you (Lou) doing back on pressing days. That's how I've always seen it incorporated and it makes a lot of sense, too (at least if you consider deadlift a "leg exercise" instead of a back one).

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
The full body was a bit intense just like it was last time either I'm using too much weight or I don't know what the problem is.

Seems that why I scrapped it when I started it the last time.

So back to the drawing board any1 got any upper(2days a week)/(2days a week) lower splits for 4 days a week?

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Here you go:

Workout 1: Upper body horizontal push/pull. Bench press, bent rows, push-ups, renegade rows, etc. Push movements move the weight away from your core, pull movements toward.

Workout 2: Squats, box jumps, plyo/agility work.

Workout 3: Upper body vertical push/pull. Overhead press, pull-ups, etc.

Workout 4: Deadlifts, Zercher squats, glute bridges, etc. Lower body focused movements focused on core/hip strength.

Mix up the moves, rep schemes, and training style however you like. This is just a way to break down which movements for which days.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Noted, that just happened for this week with my finals/work schedule
It will be from now on

ME Bench
Off
ME Squat/Deadlift
Off
DE Bench
DE Squat/Deadlift
Off

Unless life happens again of course haha

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Noted, that just happened for this week with my finals/work schedule
It will be from now on

ME Bench
Off
ME Squat/Deadlift
Off
DE Bench
DE Squat/Deadlift
Off

Unless life happens again of course haha
I hear you on that. I'm always switching around my days right now.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah...graduate school and abiding perfectly by a training program don't mesh well.

Here's my current set up

Sunday: Track workout - speed and acceleration work
Monday: Upper body, vertical focus
Tue: Swimming - endurance/recovery, usually about a mile
Wed: Hang Clean, Deadlift, posterior kinetic chain work
Thur: Track workout - Speed endurance (200m's)
Fri: Off or swim for recovery (if i have time)
Sat: Squat workout, glute work, upper body horizontal focus

Br

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah...graduate school and abiding perfectly by a training program don't mesh well.

Here's my current set up

Sunday: Track workout - speed and acceleration work
Monday: Upper body, vertical focus
Tue: Swimming - endurance/recovery, usually about a mile
Wed: Hang Clean, Deadlift, posterior kinetic chain work
Thur: Track workout - Speed endurance (200m's)
Fri: Off or swim for recovery (if i have time)
Sat: Squat workout, glute work, upper body horizontal focus

Br
For some reason I feel your routine would eat me alive.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Looks good! The way you have stuff grouped together is similar to my approach as well. Do you have any issues with track stuff coming the day after squats, though? I don't think I'd be firing on all cylinders the next day.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks good! The way you have stuff grouped together is similar to my approach as well. Do you have any issues with track stuff coming the day after squats, though? I don't think I'd be firing on all cylinders the next day.
Its difficult to find the balance. My squat program doesn't go to failure, and produces minimal soreness, which allows me to complete a more neural workout the next day (which absolutely fries me for the rest of the day). The hang cleans, deads, and hamstring work, however, leaves quite a bit of soreness, and that's why thursday's workout is metabolic.

Everything switches come spring time. Track work comes before weight work. Its a pendulum - get strong in the winter, lose some conditioning . Get fast and highly conditioned in the summer, lose some strength. The goal is to keep some strength and speed from each cycle to slowly keep moving forward.

Br

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
How much rest do you guys take between sets?

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I never have set rest times. If I'm doing weight training only, I'll catch my breath, but that's it. I never do two sets in a row of the same thing, though. It's usually on to a different muscle group, so I don't need the rest. If I'm doing metcon stuff, I push myself to keep going as much as possible. I place a lot of emphasis on cardio and conditioning though. What good is all that strength if you're too gassed to use it?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How much rest do you guys take between sets?
Depends what my goal is.

Strength and power work gets nearly complete recovery periods. Plyometrics get full recovery. Short speed work (100m or less) gets full recovery. Speed endurance is usually incomplete recovery.

Ancillary movements I work like Johnrock said - going from agonist to antagonist with minimal break times. The same with most core.

Br

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
You guys perfer to do a pull/pull like back & biceps or a push/pull? Like Chest and biceps?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I may do direct bicep work once a month. Even with my clients who train for aesthetics and bodybuilding...curls and bicep work are thrown in at the end in an ancillary complex, and none have any issues with increasing arm size or proportion (save for one, who i prescribe extra work for)

Br

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im all about DC. used to do the BB routine 4-5 times a week of training....didnt notice alot of growth, just got cut and stayed cut.