was this possibly Arnold's routine?

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
A friend of mine emailed me a copy of what he called "Arnold's routine"... said he found it online somewhere. Just wondering if this possibly could have been, and even if not - does this look pretty solid for bulking or is it overtraining?

Day 1: Abs, Back, Chest
Day 2: Abs, Forearms, Shoulders
Day 3: Abs, Lower back, Calves, Thighs
Day 4: Abs, Back, Chest
Day 5: Abs, Forearms, Arms, Shoulders
Day 6: Abs, Lower back, Calves, Thighs
Day 7: DAY OFF

Do 4 sets of each exercise and do 6 to 10 reps unless otherwise is specified. Increase weight if you can do more then 12.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
That's the claim anyway.

http://alongabbay.com/arnold-bodybuilding-workout

Not sure if that's what he actually followed though. It's interesting in that it's SIX days straight on - which sounds like something that Arnold would do.

Actually - I used to do a six day routine because it was the only way I could train Chest / Back / Legs twice a week. It worked pretty good for me as I got reported for steroid use at work and I never used them! LOL!

Anyway - it's really not typical of what you'd see nowadays with all these convoluted splits. But I was thinking just this morning I might go back to that six day routine. That is, after I get over my rib injury - which I incurred about three weeks ago doing weighted crunches on a ****ing crunch machine. :(

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
yea thats about it, ive got his modern encyclopedia book lying around the house somewhere and the stage1 routine goes something like that....... All the routines were pretty much overtraining for me, a lil to much volume for my scrawny self lol

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
One thing that baffles me about this is that you're only giving the major muscle groups 3 days to recover before hitting them hard again.... isn't recovery more like 6-7 days??

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
You don't need 5-6 days to recover, but that of course depends on the volume you are doing. There are many successful full body programs, and multi day splits such as 5x5, DC etc.

Arnold used to train 2+ hours twice a day if I remember correctly. I'm sure he changed his routine many times and what you may read may not be written by him or his exact routine. I've seen two books for him and each suggest completely different routines.

Also remember that he was juicing (I read he is back at it for his new role in Expendables 2) and is genetically gifted.

I was reading a conv transcript between Dave Draper and Bill Pearl and they both used to train 2+ hours a day 6 days a week. Bill Pearl in his sixties still train that way.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah thats basically his routine. wouldnt do it unless your juicing

ryannolin

ryannolin

Awards
Bump.... Gotta be running gear to recover that kinda routine

SizeUp

Awards
seems like so much regardless of what you do... i don't know that any pro trains that way anymore Dorian seemed to change everyones thoughts

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Arnold had good muscle building genetics on top of using some steroids.