Personal experiences on GVT

lboston

lboston

Awards
Guys-
Looking for some personal testimonies on German Volume Training...

I am thinking of starting this for the next few weeks...I was going a power/muscle/burn program for about 6 weeks and felt burnt out giving the heavy poundage each workout.

What were your experiences with this? What did our workout week/ routine look like?

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I haven't tried the GVT per se, but had great success with a fairly similar program. It was high volume, generally 6-8 sets of 12 reps per exercise with 4-5 exercises per bodypart. I know you asked about GVT, but if you're curious just let me know and I can give you more details!

lboston

lboston

Awards
I haven't tried the GVT per se, but had great success with a fairly similar program. It was high volume, generally 6-8 sets of 12 reps per exercise with 4-5 exercises per bodypart. I know you asked about GVT, but if you're curious just let me know and I can give you more details!
Doss-
I am curious and would love some more details. I'm looking for something high volume that will build some good mass.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
http://boldanddetermined.com/2011/02/02/serge-nubrets-old-school-workout-routine/

This was the base for what I did. I found that 30-45 second rest intervals were the best, and as it said in the article your 20 RM is a pretty good starting point. The pump is unreal if you only rest 30 seconds, and around the 4th or 5th set of any exercise you really start to feel it. You've got to really leave the pride at the door though - it's just impossible to use this amount of volume with heavy weight.

The results are great though. I put on about 10 lbs in 12 weeks without adding any body-fat. It added an element of cardio I wasn't used to and really gave me that "shredded" look. The first couple of weeks I was puffing through the workouts. Also, the first workout of each body-part made me incredibly sore the next day. Back was absolutely the worst haha.

I'd highly recommend it. Not only did I add mass, but I dropped BF and developed some really nice separation/striations across the board. If you give it a shot, I'd love to hear about your experience with it! Good luck.

M

McCoy1989

Awards
Tried it and didn't really like it. I think that it would be a great routine to implement every few months for a few weeks at a time. I like HIT so much more but I do incorporate a few high volume/low weight days every few months just to mix things up and I've seen pretty good success with my approach so far. I was excited going into GVT but quickly grew immensely bored of the program. If you can deal with it you do get worked pretty hard. I just felt like how sore I was didn't pay off for how little weight I was moving.