Most Accurate Way To Measure Body Fat From Home?

gward

Awards
I'm using a scale to measure my body fat, a friend claims to be around 14% (compared to my 23% on the scale). He's using a caliper so I ordered one of those to see how it works out. I'm probably around his body fat as well, if not less.

What do you guys think is the most accurate and readily available method? Is there another way to do this I'm missing?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Callipers are pretty much par none the best tool to measure bf outside of those density tests in a pool and maybe 1 or 2 other tests that professionals can give you.

The next best step is either to eyeball it and compare it with pictures (it's a pretty rough estimate but will probably land you within 1.5%) or to take a neck measurement and compare it with a waist measurement. I think different ratios correspond to different bf% somewhat accurately. And I think this is the correct ratio, I know it's neck to something circumference.

Probably the absolute worst options are to calculate it based on BMI, and equally poor, is the electronic scale readings =p So don't trust those scales.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
scales are useless. Some aren't even consistent. My scale puts me between 17-22% in a week... useless.

Just go by the mirror. :)

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm using a scale to measure my body fat, a friend claims to be around 14% (compared to my 23% on the scale). He's using a caliper so I ordered one of those to see how it works out. I'm probably around his body fat as well, if not less.

What do you guys think is the most accurate and readily available method? Is there another way to do this I'm missing?
To use a tape measure use your neck ( even/level just below the Adams apple) and your waist (even/level) across your belly button) body relaxed. Then subtract neck from waist.

Calipers can be slightly more flawed than tape sometimes usually do to user error though

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
and that number represents what? body fat%? Wouldn't that be greatly skewed by a skinny or thick neck and a large/small core?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
and that number represents what? body fat%? Wouldn't that be greatly skewed by a skinny or thick neck and a large/small core?
How many fat people do you know with skinny necks?

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Mirror. I've never once heard of a girl who wasn't impressed by a guy's physique until she heard his BF%.

gward

Awards
Mirror. I've never once heard of a girl who wasn't impressed by a guy's physique until she heard his BF%.
Haha good point. I'd just like to have an idea of where I'm at for the sake of knowing. I think I'll try the measuring tape.... I'm obviously doing the caliper wrong which is readin 33% lmao! Besides seeing a number keep dropping keeps me motivated.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha good point. I'd just like to have an idea of where I'm at for the sake of knowing. I think I'll try the measuring tape.... I'm obviously doing the caliper wrong which is readin 33% lmao!
Calipers are good with practice and consistency. Tape is generally just as good and can be a bit easier for some. I use myotape for myself and work. It's pretty handy and easier than using a reg tape because it can hook to itself and with a push of a button can tighten itself. They are pretty cheap and can be picked up at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/AccuFitness-MT05-MyoTape-Body-Measure/dp/B000G7YW7Y

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Measuring your neck and waist is in no way relevant to your bf%. calipers can be accurate, but only when someone who is highly experienced performs the test.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Measuring your neck and waist is in no way relevant to your bf%. calipers can be accurate, but only when someone who is highly experienced performs the test.
How can you begin to say this? I freely admit that it is in no way the most preferred method as I'm sure we all know, but it can be used. Saying it is in no way relevant is plain wrong.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
I understand your logic, and it may Indicate if someone is a little overweight.. But as far as an accurate measure of percent bodyfat, I don't see how it can apply. Using a waist to hip ratio is another measure of general body composition, but again doesn't determine bodyfat.

A bodybuilder may have a very thick and muscular neck which would completely skew the results

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I understand your logic, and it may Indicate if someone is a little overweight.. But as far as an accurate measure of percent bodyfat, I don't see how it can apply. Using a waist to hip ratio is another measure of general body composition, but again doesn't determine bodyfat.

A bodybuilder may have a very thick and muscular neck which would completely skew the results
Def it would. The biggest flaws come from the really skinny the really obese and resistance trained athletes. However, the method is based off an average populace and has an accuracy of about 4% either way based off that. We use it in the Navy and Marine Corps and over such a large group of people it works fairly well as males in the Corps have to be 18% or under and in the Navy 20% or under.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Def it would. The biggest flaws come from the really skinny the really obese and resistance trained athletes. However, the method is based off an average populace and has an accuracy of about 4% either way based off that. We use it in the Navy and Marine Corps and over such a large group of people it works fairly well as males in the Corps have to be 18% or under and in the Navy 20% or under.

Yeah, I understand why they use the method (sort of)... it's extremely cheap and easy to administer to large groups. However, it is an ancient method with very little research backing, and is not accepted as a proper method for body composition in my field (exercise physiology). While I have the utmost respect for those who serve and have served, the military is a disaster when it comes to incorporating principles of exercise science into there programming.

My statement about it having zero relevance to body fat % was incorrect. However, this is a bodybuilding site... so whether or not the method has some application to a very small population of untrained, non-obese, non-skinny, young age adults. It basically has no application here, or to the general public.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I whole heatedly agree with you on the military being a disaster on incorporating exercise science properly. I feel they are improving though. Still far behind the times, but making ground. At least they have begun to break away from the simple stretch calisthenics run stretch routine they've stuck with for so many decades. I just went through the navy's command fitness leadership course and they are incorporating things like HIIT, resistance training and have begun to make grounds on their nutrition teachings as well. Its a start. However, I guess one needs to remember the goal of the military's general fitness training is simply to provide a fit and healthy fighting force and not to produce athletes and such. In that essence they are wanting to only tote the line and it's like half a$$ing it to me, but as you mentioned before about cost and large groups things have priorities.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
"At home" calipers even aren't great if you plan to use them yourself. You need 7 points, which you can not hot yourself.

All this is just a guestimation. Forget the %. Use calipers to track progress. If you are dieting, track a few skinfolds, and make sure they are decreasing over time. Gaining, track them and make sure you aren't adding fat too fast, etc.

Don't get hung up on the %. It is just a number. It is like having a 700hp car, that doesn't have wheels, the number means nothing. Who gives a **** if your scale says you are 25% when you have a 6pack..lol

Even the most highly regarded tools, are just "guesses" to an extent. I have seen bodpod results that are VERY questionable, and that is supposed to be one of the more accurate methods(when administered correctly)