Smith machine

IgottheFalcon

Awards
So the gym that i go to only has a smith machine possibility for benching :12: soo while its not bad for adding weight when i go onto a regular bench my weight decreases a lot. so is there anything i can do besides db presses to help strengthen my stabilizer muscles and better prepare me for a traditional bench?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I always do DB bench so im a bit biased you can deffinately add mass and strength doing DB and as you mentioned its vital to activate the stabalizers and other Muscles so maybe just Focus on DB Bench and do a few sets with a lot of weight on barbell to keep your muscles used to the heavy work load.

AdtheRock

Awards
A smith machine is not necessarily a bad option for benching. For instance, the dual progression causes lateral variable resistance working your stabilizers sufficiently. However, I have found out going from a smith machine to traditional bench you do loose explosion, to sum degree. So a great lift for smith machines is called "Smith machine throw". In this lift you want to use about 50% of your 1RM. You want to control the weight slowly down (eccentric) totally about four seconds, as for the way up (concentric) you want to literally explode so hard off your chest with a open thumb grip throwing the bar as high as it can go, then catching it on the way down. If by reading this description is hard, YouTube has good videos of this lift. Note, this lift will increase muscle neurons to fire more faster and more rapidly resulting in a more explosive reps. Good luck.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
Do you have a squat rack at your gym? got a flat bench that's not bolted to the ground? Move teh bench to the squat rack and use that to freeweight barbell bench.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
"Smith machine throw". In this lift you want to use about 50% of your 1RM. You want to control the weight slowly down (eccentric) totally about four seconds, as for the way up (concentric) you want to literally explode so hard off your chest with a open thumb grip throwing the bar as high as it can go, then catching it on the way down.
Sound more dangerous than it's worth... catching 100+ lbs...
I do something similar in freeweight bench, during my ramp up "warm-up" sets. except I don't let go of the bar, nor do I overextend anything. I just use 100% full force to push the bar back up, and force stop at the top of my ROM. This will usually cause my back to lift off the bench a little. you'll need good core and lower body stability for this movement. I suggest trying w/ bar only at first if you want to do this.

Even for a smith, I think this would be beneficial, but releasing the bar.. .I don't know about that.

AdtheRock

Awards
Well if you are uncertain of this technique. Try googling it, the results will show. There has been infinite amount of studies on this lift. I would not mislead someone, nor direct someone to an injury. I have a smithy in my gym, and train 15 guys in my gym, this lift has been utilized by me and my clients now for over two years. I do agree with starting light and working your way up, but this lift is proven to increase muscle stabilizing and explosion. Do your research.

IgottheFalcon

Awards
nope....bench, squats, deadlifts, and shoulder presses all done on the smith machine :aargh4:. free weight dbs don't go high enough either....need more money for a better gym

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A smith machine is not necessarily a bad option for benching. For instance, the dual progression causes lateral variable resistance working your stabilizers sufficiently. However, I have found out going from a smith machine to traditional bench you do loose explosion, to sum degree. So a great lift for smith machines is called "Smith machine throw". In this lift you want to use about 50% of your 1RM. You want to control the weight slowly down (eccentric) totally about four seconds, as for the way up (concentric) you want to literally explode so hard off your chest with a open thumb grip throwing the bar as high as it can go, then catching it on the way down. If by reading this description is hard, YouTube has good videos of this lift. Note, this lift will increase muscle neurons to fire more faster and more rapidly resulting in a more explosive reps. Good luck.
Can you explain this a little further. Everything I've seen seems to point in the opposite direction, that the stabilization muscles get less work when on a smith machine. And how do you quantify that they are worked "sufficiently"?

With regards to the smith throw...a good heavy med ball and a solid wall are a also a good choice upper body plyometric with out the risk.

Br

AdtheRock

Awards
Can you explain this a little further. Everything I've seen seems to point in the opposite direction, that the stabilization muscles get less work when on a smith machine. And how do you quantify that they are worked "sufficiently"?

With regards to the smith throw...a good heavy med ball and a solid wall are a also a good choice upper body plyometric with out the risk.

Br
Smith Machine also allows you to lift more weight because there is no weight in the bar (it's counter weighted) and instead of worrying about dropping the weights on your chest, you can just twist the bar to lock it off when your muscles give way. Additionally, if you are the type of person who only uses free weights, adding the Smith Machine exercises may be exactly what you need to get your body through a plateau.

With this being said, when you use a Smith Machine, the machine stabilizes the motion for you throughout the entire range. This makes it easier for you to perform the motion safely, but the problem is that you will not recruit muscle fibers used to stabilize the motion as you would using free weights. As a result, the level of development for both muscle mass and strength will be lower but still is beneficial while using the Smith machine than while using free weights. Basic exercises tend to be gravity dependent, have an inclusion or shift of resistance through multiple muscle group throughout the range of motion (e.g. bench press: front deltoid to pectoralis major to triceps) and have a natural transfer of torsion force to compression force (e.g., lockout on squat, bench press, etc.) or tension force (e.g. extension of arm curl) to the bone(s) and joint(s) during full range of motion. In overview, free weights will affect your stabilizers more, but the use of smith machine isnt all the far behind.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's very little, if any, carryover effect from using the Smith machine to free weights. It doesn't accomodate the strength curve and the angle is fixed, whether it be the straight or angled Smith bar.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With this being said, when you use a Smith Machine, the machine stabilizes the motion for you throughout the entire range. This makes it easier for you to perform the motion safely, but the problem is that you will not recruit muscle fibers used to stabilize the motion as you would using free weights.
Maybe to prevent an acute, freak injury, but other time the fixed range of motion is likely to lead to muscular imbalances, both between primary moves vs. stabilizers, and unilateral, since the stronger side will always compensate.

Also, can you substantiate this statement:

Additionally, if you are the type of person who only uses free weights, adding the Smith Machine exercises may be exactly what you need to get your body through a plateau.
What type of plateau: hypertrophy, strength, etc. For a strength plateau I would argue the opposite. Use of the smith is going to alter motor programming, and while you may get increased strength from week 1 on the smith to week X on the smith, the carry over (as Rodja pointed out) is minimal.

Br

AdtheRock

Awards
I am neither nor disagreeing with either of your on your stance. I was simply letting him know, the smith machine is not a bad option if it is your only option. In my gym we have a smith machine, but when we are building on our strength program it is barely touched. However, it is utilized on ROM exercises, as well as exercising safely with no spotter. In my experience this machine can be utilized to enhance ROM as well as stabilization, research does back. We all know, for every research there is a counter research that says the opposite. My simple outlook was having only a smith machine is not that detrimental. I do respect both of your opinions and agree with both of you, like I said in my strength program this machine is rarely utilized.