Pec's

JB89

JB89

Awards
I'm looking for a good overall chest routine to add to my split. I feel chest is my weak point and I'd like to work on making it better.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
are you looking for exercises, reps, sets, intensity, frequency? advice on getting it stronger? bigger? adding work capacity?

JB89

JB89

Awards
My strength is there, I'm looking for more advice on the proper way to shape the chest. So how many reps as well as how many sets should be involved also good workouts to build upper pecs as well would help. I'd like to cut my chest up more. I have good size but lack definition and tone especially the outside pectoral near the armpit area.

Tboz

Banned
Awards
Propr way would be to hit from all angles and with all diffrent reps/sets.. try alternating one week with high reps one week low reps.. To shape outer chest.. would be wide grip press. Wide hammer press. dips.

JB89

JB89

Awards
Can you explain what a hammer press is and how it would be executed?

Tboz

Banned
Awards
its a Hammer Strength Machine.. They have them for all angles.. incline, wide, decline. Focus on Wide.. look up Hammer strength machines

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Arnold used to recommend modified ROM flies to build/tone the outer chest. Get as much of a stretch as you can without hurting yourself, then come up and stop about 3/4 of the way through the exercise. DON'T touch the dumbbells as it will take the stress off of the outer chest. I've been doing them this way for about 2 weeks and I'm seeing nice growth. Give 'em a shot!

cashinova87

cashinova87

Awards
Arnold used to recommend modified ROM flies to build/tone the outer chest. Get as much of a stretch as you can without hurting yourself, then come up and stop about 3/4 of the way through the exercise. DON'T touch the dumbbells as it will take the stress off of the outer chest. I've been doing them this way for about 2 weeks and I'm seeing nice growth. Give 'em a shot!
that sounds like good advice im gonna try that see how it feels

JB89

JB89

Awards
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
that sounds interesting, thanks for sharing :)

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I would try partial reps and don't lockout and don't stop at full stretch at the bottom..keep your muscles under constant tension.

See if getting a nice pump from that don't make things happen :D

evandem27

evandem27

Awards
Partial reps 3/4 way up. In my opinion a "must" is flat bench and incline bench, I perfect barbell. I always aim
For 12-10-8-6-4 on those 2 exercises. Others is typically 3 sets 15-12-8 which are usually fly motions, where you really want to focus in a nice stretch and squeeze. Always increase weight. 183lb 18 year old 405 flat bench :p I got a nice pair of tits from my method.

JB89

JB89

Awards
Partial reps 3/4 way up. In my opinion a "must" is flat bench and incline bench, I perfect barbell. I always aim
For 12-10-8-6-4 on those 2 exercises. Others is typically 3 sets 15-12-8 which are usually fly motions, where you really want to focus in a nice stretch and squeeze. Always increase weight. 183lb 18 year old 405 flat bench :p I got a nice pair of tits from my method.
Haha thanks man! I saw the video.. Nice bench brother.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
We need a thread to list all these little gems. I've tried partials today and I liked them. We'll see how my progress goes over the next few weeks. I did -2 reps because it was harder, but who cares.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I did -2 reps because it was harder, but who cares.
Love that philosophy. I'm not sure why it makes me think of this but I thought I'd share.

I don't remember who said this, but when I heard it it totally changed my approach and mindset when it came to lifitng. It was something to the effect of "You should enjoy difficult exercises the most, because you know that the pain and difficulty are the tools you're using to make yourself better. You might think an exercise sucks because it's hard, but you have to realize that it is the difficulty which makes it great." Ever since hearing that things changed. Going heavy and squeezing out 2 or 3 grueling reps when you should really be laying on the floor twitching has become the norm for heavy days. Haha that's not to say you don't end up spending more time on the floor though.

AdtheRock

Awards
Personally in my workout regime throughout the years, I have noticed changing my approach was best. For instance, if you have the money to afford or if your Gym offers it. Get some 3/8 (4 10 footers) or 5/8 chains (2 ten footers) to start, and begin with some LVRT or Lateral Variable Resistance Training. This method initiates using dual muscle progressions, working throughout your rep. This targets different degrees of force applied to your chest or region your working out. If you are unable to afford or unable to get your hand on some chains, using a rubberband method is a similar and effective approach. Overall this method will help you break your sticking points, which will lead you to pushing more weight. More weight = More tear = More definition&Strength

AdtheRock

Awards
I also agree with Doss, ROM is very crucial in order to give a fuller look as well as strengthening stablizers, good point!

JB89

JB89

Awards
I'm a rookie to the post area of Anabolic Minds. So can someone give me the low down on what you guys do if somebody has a good point/post?

IgottheFalcon

Awards
what do you all recommend for the upper inner chest?

AdtheRock

Awards
To get a nice defined inner chest, I recommend two core lifts. First would be a dumbell fly, alternating the degree of the bench through atleast four sets. Changing the degree targets different stabilizers to progress through each set, remember at the top half of the fly squeeze for about 2-3 seconds. The next lift is my favorite, at my gym we call it a squeeze press. Keep the bench in a level position, get a pair of dumbbells that are about 60% of your max. Position the dumbbells on your chest going parallel to your body or north and south. Press up (concentric) squeezing the dumbbells together the whole time, on your way down squeeze through (eccentric). I recommend this lift at about 12 reps for 3-4 sets. Goodluck

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 1