Ab Training During A Bulk

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I ran across an article a few weeks ago that said training abs while bulking wasn't a good idea because it could limit upper body development... something about compressing or tightening the ribcage. Does anyone know anything more about this?

I'm in the middle of a clean bulk/cycle and I'm trying to get as much size out of it as I can, so I've only been doing abs twice a week in the hopes I can continue my gains. I guess my question is would it hurt to train them EOD or should I stick to what I'm doing? My genes and BF% are both good so they're still fairly visible, but definition has definitely slacked off a bit in the last few weeks. What do you think?

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I ran across an article a few weeks ago that said training abs while bulking wasn't a good idea because it could limit upper body development... something about compressing or tightening the ribcage. Does anyone know anything more about this?

I'm in the middle of a clean bulk/cycle and I'm trying to get as much size out of it as I can, so I've only been doing abs twice a week in the hopes I can continue my gains. I guess my question is would it hurt to train them EOD or should I stick to what I'm doing? My genes and BF% are both good so they're still fairly visible, but definition has definitely slacked off a bit in the last few weeks. What do you think?
If ur genetics r good like u say, I would say stick w 2days a week n just work them more once u finish ur bulk..

Or add in one day of non weighted Ab work of high reps to get that definition back.. Or increase weight on your two days of training to make the muscles pop out more (prob your best bet) sounds like your abs have plateaued!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did they give any reason as to why/how training the abs tightens the rib cage, and how that would reduce upper body growth?

Sounds like a lot of zig zag connecting the dots, if anything.

Don't neglect your core. And remember, there is more to the core than just the rectus abs.

Br

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Did they give any reason as to why/how training the abs tightens the rib cage, and how that would reduce upper body growth?
The reason had something to do with the superficial ab muscles preventing the chest cavity from expanding and therefore limiting expansion/stretching of the ribcage and upper body. I didn't buy it completely, but I did cut out abs from ED/EOD to twice a week. I'll poke around a little later and see if I can find the article and post a link. As always, thanks for the advice!

N

noway55

Awards
Isn't doing abs ed/eod a little excessive regardless?

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Depends.. Doing crunches n legraises (for example) or same exercise every day is pointless. I do abs Monday wed thurs and sat, but each time is a different combination of exercises. I also devote one day to just body weight exercises, one for just weighted exercises and one for just obliques.. It's helped build a solid set of ab muscles that look and feel good and strong

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I cycle between tons of volume and weighted sets. Usually I'll spend like 4 weeks with weighted ab exercises, then the next 4-6 with ultra high volume. Like 1000+ reps daily broken into 2 sessions. Personally I like the way that I look when doing the volume more - my waist comes down a little bit and definition really perks up.

I'm sure you've seen Serge Nubret in PI, and his abs are what I wanted, so I've modified some some routines and incorporated some of his training philosophies and I like the way it's sculpting me! To each his own though.