Critique This Please

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
Im thinking of switching up my routine to one of the following. Here is what I'm thinking...
Either a upper/lower 4x week split like this...

Mon.
Push Press 3x5
Weighted Chins 3x5
Incline DB Press 2x10
T-Bar Rows 2x10

Tue.
Squat 5x5
Lunges 3x8
Calf Raise 2x10

Thur.
Bench Press 3x5
BB Row 3x5
Seat DB Press 2x10
Wide Pull-ups 2x10

Fri.
Deadlift 3x5
Front Squat 3x10
Something else???

OR a basic push/pull 3x a week like this...

A.
Squat
OH Press
Bench
Dips or CGBP

B.
BB Row
Deadlift
Weighted Chinups
Drag Curls

with week one A,B,A then week two B,A,B

What do all the knowledgeable minds here think? I will rep for quality feedback/constructive criticism.

Thanks Everyone!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the first. Add in some GHRs or single leg RDL's on friday. Also, add in core and scapula stabilizer work.

Br

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
I like the first. Add in some GHRs or single leg RDL's on friday. Also, add in core and scapula stabilizer work.

Br
OK Thanks! Scapula stabilizer work would be something similar to face pulls, Right?

Here is the revised plan with additional exercises added to Thurs and Fri...

Mon.
Push Press 3x5
Weighted Chins 3x5
Incline DB Press 2x10
T-Bar Rows 2x10

Tue.
Squat 5x5
Lunges 3x8
Calf Raise 2x10

Thur.
Bench Press 3x5
BB Row 3x5
Seat DB Press 2x10
Wide Pull-ups 2x10
Rope pulls to throat 2x10

Fri.
Deadlift 3x5
Front Squat 3x10
GHR 3x10

I will also periodically add in some type of tris/bis isolation exercises to one of the upper body days.

Any more/new advice?

Thanks everyone!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks good.

Get some bridging work in there for the core.

Face pulls, band pull aparts, are good for mid traps/rear delts.

Prone scaptions and scapula dips are good for lower traps.

DO external rotations for rotator cuff.

Br

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know you said you'd periodically add in bi/tri isolation movements, but I think you should go ahead and plan to do it routinely, especially for triceps. Concentrate on adding in pressing exercises over pulldowns as these translate better to the bench press. Do them at least once if not twice a week.

Otherwise, I like your updated routine as well.

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
I know you said you'd periodically add in bi/tri isolation movements, but I think you should go ahead and plan to do it routinely, especially for triceps. Concentrate on adding in pressing exercises over pulldowns as these translate better to the bench press. Do them at least once if not twice a week.

Otherwise, I like your updated routine as well.
Thanks for the input. I'll take that into consideration.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Looks good.

Get some bridging work in there for the core.

Face pulls, band pull aparts, are good for mid traps/rear delts.

Prone scaptions and scapula dips are good for lower traps.

DO external rotations for rotator cuff.

Br
Great suggestions, i'd also throw batwings and seated cleans onto that list as well

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I like the first option along with zir red's suggestions. Instead of 3x5 try this: pick a weight you can only complete 4-6 repetitions with and perform as many sets as it takes to reach 25-30 reps, if your rep speed or range of motion decreases stop the set, use the same weight throughout. So for push press it may go like this: 185x5, 185x5, 185x4, 185x4, 185x3, 185x3, 185x2, rest 30-60 seconds between sets, your getting strength as well as enough volume to promote muscle gains, i got this from Chad Waterbury and love it.

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
Here is the revised plan with additional exercises added to Thurs and Fri...

Mon.
Push Press 3x5
Weighted Chins 3x5
Incline DB Press 2x10
T-Bar Rows 2x10

Tue.
Squat 5x5
Lunges 3x8
Calf Raise 2x10

Thur.
Bench Press 3x5
BB Row 3x5
Seat DB Press 2x10
Wide Pull-ups 2x10

Fri.
Deadlift 3x5
Front Squat 3x10
GHR 3x10

I like the looks of that routine a lot! I think I might give that a try myself sometime, Reps!

AdtheRock

Awards
Good stuff. For Thursday I would recommend starting with the face pulls. By doing this it will help charge and prep your muscle neurons, this is called Neural Charge. In addition to charging your neurons, it will also promote a good static stretch to your stabilizers prepping your muscles for more stressful lifts. Good Luck, think big.

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
pick a weight you can only complete 4-6 repetitions with and perform as many sets as it takes to reach 25-30 reps, if your rep speed or range of motion decreases stop the set, use the same weight throughout. So for push press it may go like this: 185x5, 185x5, 185x4, 185x4, 185x3, 185x3, 185x2, rest 30-60 seconds between sets, your getting strength as well as enough volume to promote muscle gains, i got this from Chad Waterbury and love it.
I have used something similar to this for pull-ups and it has been great, give it a try!

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all of the input everyone! I think I will try your suggestion CHAPS, but I think I am going to do what Badgerfan did and try it just with my weighted chins.

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
I know this is an old thread, but I had bookmarked it because I liked the looks of the routine in it...
I am thinking about giving it a try but I wanted to make a few changes to it so I thought I would run by MY version by people and see if anyone had any advice. Its basically just changes to the volume/rep ranges.

Mon.

Alternate Push Press/ Strict Press 5x5
Weighted Chin-ups 5x5
Incline DB Press 3x12
T-Bar Rows 3x12
BB Curls 3x12

Tue.
Squat 5x5
Lunges 3x8
Calf Raise 2x10

Thur.
Bench Press 5x5
BB Row 4x6
Seat OH DB Press 3x12-15
Wide Pull-ups 3x12-15
Skullcrushers 3x12

Fri.
Deadlift 5x5
Front Squat 3x10
GHR 3x10
Hanging Leg Raises

I am mainly concerned if people think the volume and rep ranges looks OK for everything. Do you think there would be any issues with recovery following the program I laid out?

joeblow1

Awards
I know this is an old thread, but I had bookmarked it because I liked the looks of the routine in it...
I am thinking about giving it a try but I wanted to make a few changes to it so I thought I would run by MY version by people and see if anyone had any advice. Its basically just changes to the volume/rep ranges.

Mon.
Alternate Push Press/ Strict Press 5x5
Weighted Chin-ups 5x5
Incline DB Press 3x12
T-Bar Rows 3x12
BB Curls 3x12

Tue.
Squat 5x5
Lunges 3x8
Calf Raise 2x10

Thur.
Bench Press 5x5
BB Row 4x6
Seat OH DB Press 3x12-15
Wide Pull-ups 3x12-15
Skullcrushers 3x12

Fri.
Deadlift 5x5
Front Squat 3x10
GHR 3x10
Hanging Leg Raises

I am mainly concerned if people think the volume and rep ranges looks OK for everything. Do you think there would be any issues with recovery following the program I laid out?
First thing I see is too much shoulder work. You cant recover if your using shoulders everyday. Your still straining shoulders doing squats and front squats because your holding the bar on your back or front. Plus your doing shoulder work the other days as well. This will cause a shoulder injury over time. Second do more ghr, it builds the entire posterior chain. Do it at least 2 xs a week. I like the back work thats good. I think switching lunges with leg press or front sq. Will be more beneficial. If you have access to a cambered bar or safety sq. bAR that will be easier on your shoulders so you can alternate between bars to give them a break. I think you need more work to build the bench like heavy tricep work instead of all the shoulder work. With some tweaking it could be a great program.

McCoy1989

Awards
These are all great suggestions but if you find that you're still struggling to see growth I would suggest adding a day where you just do arms and work them HARD. I got to the point recently where my chest, shoulders and back had grown to the point that my arms looked puny. I'm a lanky guy to start with so my arms aren't great to begin with but I've found that my arm day (with abs included) has helped a lot for growth. Depending on your body type you may want to give this a shot if all else fails.