DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Hammer Curls 11-8 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket Hammer Curls
Curls 11-8 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket Curls
bb row 11-8 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket BarBell Row
deads 11-8 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket Deadlifts

With the curls video I was on my last set when recorded. I hope to Odin I'm doing them right and not using too much swing. I find the preacher curls easier and get more reps with them. IDK why. I know the bb row is wrong. Any tips? How much should I lower the weight?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just remember to keep your elbows against your sides and your shoulder blades back when doing any sort of curls. They look fine, could be the thick weights causing the elbows to come out a bit.

Bend over more on the rows. Bend your knees, stick your hips back and bend over. The bar should be just above your knees when your arms are fully extended. And should travel up your thighs to your navel.

I'm glad to see you treating each rep as a separate pull. The first rep looked the best. Try to get your hips down lower on the dead lift. Squat down, grip the bar, pull it in to where it rests above your shoe laces. Squeeze your shoulder blades together and straighten your elbows. Then, slowly raise your hips (by pushing your butt back) until they are about 3" above your knees. Then pull, shoulders and hips should elevate at the same time.

Br

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hammer Curls 11-8 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket Hammer Curls
Curls 11-8 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket Curls
bb row 11-8 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket BarBell Row
deads 11-8 video by BrainStorm_wow - Photobucket Deadlifts

With the curls video I was on my last set when recorded. I hope to Odin I'm doing them right and not using too much swing. I find the preacher curls easier and get more reps with them. IDK why. I know the bb row is wrong. Any tips? How much should I lower the weight?
Rows:
You want more of a bend at the angle between you hips and thigh. You also want to suck the bar up to your upper stomach and not lower stomach. Your range of motion is too short. The more you bend over the more distance you can get and the more you can train your back. ALSO remember to keep your back tight and arched, chest out, looking forward.

Deadlift:
You want to have a bit of an arch, and a tight upper back when deadlifting. You want your shoulders slightly behind the bar. Also dip down a little more and activate your glutes and hams to get the bar of the ground initially. The top of your back is a bit rounded, be careful with that. Notive how you lock out your legs early in the deadlift and are relying on a lot of back to get it more then half the distance. If you want a better idea of what Im saying look up some competition deadlifting. Especially the stuff put out by westwise barbell.

Hope this helps buddy. Keep up the good work.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Oh damn :/. Hope I'm not destroying my back. Quick question. Would I have to lower weight on the deads, or when I fix my form would it be easier?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WRT to the weight, its difficult to say with certainty, but I think at first you may want to lighten the load to get used to the technique. I don't think it was a matter of excessive load causing poor form, but rather just that you need work on technique.

Br

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
See I didn't think I was rounding my back. I made a big chest up with each rep, but watching the footage I don't seem to have much of an arch. Flexibility issue? Also should I do some glute activation stretches or are those squat stretches enough. Next week I'll take 20 lbs off the deadlift and 30 lbs off the bb row. Alittle disappointing since I'm only deadlifting 240 now but I have to just look at things in the long run. Technically I only really started training this year considering when I lived with my grandmom I never got enough food. I'm hoping in about 3 years I reach my goal.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If you can't hit good form on light weight you will not have good form on heavier weight. Lighten it up and perfect the form.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
See I didn't think I was rounding my back. I made a big chest up with each rep, but watching the footage I don't seem to have much of an arch.Flexibility issue?
I can't tell you for certain judging by that clip.

Also should I do some glute activation stretches or are those squat stretches enough.
Glute activation stretches are never a bad thing. Hit them before you deadlift and squat.

Next week I'll take 20 lbs off the deadlift and 30 lbs off the bb row. Alittle disappointing since I'm only deadlifting 240 now but I have to just look at things in the long run. Technically I only really started training this year considering when I lived with my grandmom I never got enough food. I'm hoping in about 3 years I reach my goal.
Don't worry about the amount of weight right now. Don't let you ego get in the way of progress. Everyone has to start somewhere and work there way up. Keep up the good work and focus on your form.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Don't worry about the amount of weight right now. Don't let you ego get in the way of progress. Everyone has to start somewhere and work there way up. Keep up the good work and focus on your form.
Thanks man. You guys are life savers literally, since I could really **** up my back with poor form.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like your curls. Your deadlift form is not nearly as atrocious as GoHard suggests (I'm sorry if I'm incorrectly inferring this from your post). If you had better mobility you could definitely get more out of the deadlift by squatting down lower, but your starting position isn't necessarily bad. What I would definitely recommend is having a straighter upper back, though, and I think the best way to do this is the following.

Starting from your neutral standing position by the bar, pick a spot either at or above eye level to look at throughout the movement. Squat to position (as low and back as you can go), and then at the same time get the arch in your lower back and look up at your spot while you raise your arms in the air. Maintain your back position and lower your arms to the bar. Then grip it and lift. I feel this raising of the arms helps me really get a firm arch in my back that I can maintain throughout the deadlift, and it most certainly helps you with your upper back.

EDIT: as for bb rows, check this link out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boxbOSGwD4U&feature=related
Only other thing is I find it easier for me if I deadlift the bar to my starting position for BO rows instead of lowering the bar from my hips to starting position, but it's up to you.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I never once said atrocious but I am a stickler for form. I'm a powerlifter so form is everything. I wanted to give him the same advice given to me to improve my deadlifts. I hope I did not come off too hard.

I like your curls. Your deadlift form is not nearly as atrocious as GoHard suggests (I'm sorry if I'm incorrectly inferring this from your post). If you had better mobility you could definitely get more out of the deadlift by squatting down lower, but your starting position isn't necessarily bad.
Remember it's ok to have "ok" form at these lighter weights, but once you get into those bigger numbers even your starting position is a big factor. I found this out personally.
What I would definitely recommend is having a straighter upper back, though, and I think the best way to do this is the following.
Str8 upper back and arched back as if you were setting up for a squat allows for a stronger pull. Keeping everything in line is key.
Starting from your neutral standing position by the bar, pick a spot either at or above eye level to look at throughout the movement. Squat to position (as low and back as you can go),
Flexibility is a big plus here.
and then at the same time get the arch in your lower back and look up at your spot while you raise your arms in the air. Maintain your back position and lower your arms to the bar. Then grip it and lift. I feel this raising of the arms helps me really get a firm arch in my back that I can maintain throughout the deadlift, and it most certainly helps you with your upper back.

EDIT: as for bb rows, check this link out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boxbOSGwD4U&feature=related
Only other thing is I find it easier for me if I deadlift the bar to my starting position for BO rows instead of lowering the bar from my hips to starting position, but it's up to you.
The deadlift is a complex movement that incorporates multiple body parts. To master the movement one must be mindful of your technique from the get go.

If this excessive? Maybe...but Id rather over educate then under educate.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I never once said atrocious but I am a stickler for form. I'm a powerlifter so form is everything. I wanted to give him the same advice given to me to improve my deadlifts. I hope I did not come off too hard.

The deadlift is a complex movement that incorporates multiple body parts. To master the movement one must be mindful of your technique from the get go.

If this excessive? Maybe...but Id rather over educate then under educate.
Oh, I understand you completely. Like you said, the deadlift is a very technical movement, and it can take many years to master it. Not only that, but due to the nature of the lift you can really harm yourself. So there are things he can improve upon. I only meant to say that relative to what I think is bad (read: most deadlifters I see at the gym) I think he's at the "good" side of the spectrum.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Oh, I understand you completely. Like you said, the deadlift is a very technical movement, and it can take many years to master it. Not only that, but due to the nature of the lift you can really harm yourself. So there are things he can improve upon. I only meant to say that relative to what I think is bad (read: most deadlifters I see at the gym) I think he's at the "good" side of the spectrum.
Absolutely..I have definitely seen far far worse and he is starting out with better form then most.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
So how do I get a straighter back, just have my shoulder blades back? I was trying my best to have a non-rounded back.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How I get an arch in my back is:
Have the bar above the laces of my shoes.
Sit way back with an arch in my back and put as much stress on my hams/glutes as I can.
Round upper back only to grab bar.
As I sit back to pull I pull my upper back in tight and my back ends up being completely arched and I get a very strong pull.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
How I get an arch in my back is:
Have the bar above the laces of my shoes.
Sit way back with an arch in my back and put as much stress on my hams/glutes as I can.
Round upper back only to grab bar.
As I sit back to pull I pull my upper back in tight and my back ends up being completely arched and I get a very strong pull.
Sort of like squatting but in a reverse motion, in terms of the legs and glutes?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
More like I RDL/Goodmorning down, grab the bar, pull my lats in and get my shoulders behind the bar with crazy tension in my hams/glutes and come up.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Here is a video of me doing deadlifts and getting lower
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/BrainStorm_wow/?action=view&current=deads_lower.mp4
It looks to me like my back is flatter than before and less rounded. Keep in mind I have slight scoliosis so maybe that's why I can't do that big arch. I tried, but that's the best arch I can do atleast at the moment. I did notice a lot less back strain than before, but I still got headaches. My breathing was off. What do I do breath heavy on the way up, because some vids tell you to hold your breath on the way up and that gives me headaches.
Here is a video of me doing preacher curls with no weight, yes I tried to pull my shoulders back but it still looked like this
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/BrainStorm_wow/?action=view&current=bb_rowNoWeight.mp4
It is depressing, I am having such a hard time with form.
Lastly here is a video of me doing preacher curls
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/BrainStorm_wow/?action=view&current=preacher.mp4

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here is a video of me doing deadlifts and getting lower
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/BrainStorm_wow/?action=view&current=deads_lower.mp4
It looks to me like my back is flatter than before and less rounded. Keep in mind I have slight scoliosis so maybe that's why I can't do that big arch. I tried, but that's the best arch I can do atleast at the moment. I did notice a lot less back strain than before, but I still got headaches. My breathing was off. What do I do breath heavy on the way up, because some vids tell you to hold your breath on the way up and that gives me headaches.
Much better on the deadlifts, you are improving. Remember to keep your arms straight when you start the pull (elbows bend, power ends).

Holding your breath - the valsalva maneuvar - increases intraabdominal pressure. A good thing, because this keeps your torso rigid and engages your abdominals to work with the spinal erectors to keep the back flat. The only problem is that because of the pressure, the flow of blood to your brain is momentarily cut off for a few heart beats. This is why you get the head aches. I suggest employing the valsalva for the first pull (getting the bar above the knees) then exhaling hard.

Br

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Much better on the deadlifts, you are improving. Remember to keep your arms straight when you start the pull (elbows bend, power ends).

Holding your breath - the valsalva maneuvar - increases intraabdominal pressure. A good thing, because this keeps your torso rigid and engages your abdominals to work with the spinal erectors to keep the back flat. The only problem is that because of the pressure, the flow of blood to your brain is momentarily cut off for a few heart beats. This is why you get the head aches. I suggest employing the valsalva for the first pull (getting the bar above the knees) then exhaling hard.

Br
Yeah the headaches are the only thing uncomfortable with deads, as opposed to before where I'd get aches in my lower back and headaches so atleast there has been an improvement. Thanks a lot for the advice. Any advice you can give me after watching the bb row video? I tried the exercise with 163 too heavy, than 135 too heavy, so I did all my other lifts and just tried the lift with no weight.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did you post another vid of barbell rows? All i saw was the preacher curls.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You got the correct angle of torso to floor. Looks like you could get more arch in your lumbar region. Stand up tall with the bar such that your back is arched, core is engaged, and chest is out. Then bend at the knee and hip until you reach the torso angle you were at before. You should feel a slight stretch in your hamstrings, as they will act to keep the hip stable.

Br

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol, it was probably too heavy because your whole body is in front of you (including the bar). Push your butt out more and you'll be able to put on weight.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I guess my preachers are okay. People keep telling me preacher curls are harder than standing, but standing curls are harder for me unless I purposely swing the weight up.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
IDK if you've tried rackpulls, but I think they're just as effective as deads, but not so taxing.

You pretty much start out pulling at knee height, instead of the lower height.

Tons of vids on YouTube if you want a looksee...

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Oh I also like doing reverse grip bb rows, and pull towards the hips as it supposedly stimulates the lats better.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Here are new vids of me doing the bb row. I was only able to do 1-2 reps in the videos because I had already done my sets and the vids I took of me doing my sets didn't turn out well. I believe my form is better, but I have to work on not rounding my back when lifting up the weight.
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/BrainStorm_wow/?action=view&current=bb03.mp4
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/BrainStorm_wow/?action=view&current=bb02.mp4
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/BrainStorm_wow/?action=view&current=bb01.mp4