Dumbbell Row Problems

Santee

Santee

Awards
1. I feel them only affecting my posterior delts
2. I think it's due to the flaring of my elbow, which I'm having problems tucking in.
3. Is it better to perform, singles or both at the same time(which one has less room to cheat?)
4. will these improve my bent barbell row is there another exercise, i'm trying to cycle between barbell and dumbbell every month, to prevent muscle imbalances.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1. I feel them only affecting my posterior delts
2. I think it's due to the flaring of my elbow, which I'm having problems tucking in.
3. Is it better to perform, singles or both at the same time(which one has less room to cheat?)
4. will these improve my bent barbell row is there another exercise, i'm trying to cycle between barbell and dumbbell every month, to prevent muscle imbalances.
4. Cycling between dumbbell and barbell for this exercise is not a way to avoid creating muscle imbalances. But if you're just trying to do something different, if you do a dumbbell row but instead of having your hand in a neutral position and your elbows against your body you have your hand somewhat pronated and your elbow about 45 degrees from your body, that will mimic the movement of a barbell row.

1 and 2. This can very well be the case if when you're doing dumbbell rows, the line from your shoulders to your elbows makes something like a 90 degree angle with your body at the fully contracted position. Try to keep it around a 45 degree angle; what I mean is, keep it between a rear delt row and a dumbbell row when you have your elbow against your body.

3. Do you mean do rows with one hand first then the other vs. alternating them? (Or god forbid, doing them both at the same time?) The first is the best option. I say this since if you're trying to mimic a bent over barbell row, the way your arm is positioned and the way the weight tracks is going to move your center of mass around awkwardly, and you'd probably lose your balance if you aren't supporting yourself on something (a bench, a weight rack, your knee, whatever).

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I suggest two things: 1) try leaning over at different angles and perhaps bringing the dumbbell to meet a lower spot on your body ie lower back versus upper and 2) pre exhaust your bi's first. Seriously, 3 to 4 sets of db exercises, then go to your db rows, grab a lighter weight, and come back and tell me if you didn't experience a greater mind/muscle connection with your lats. Takes your supporting muscles out of the equation and allows you to focus strictly on the lats.