Do Vibrams Make Calves Grow? 8 Week Trial

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
I will start training in my vibrams tommorow and will monitor calf circumference over eight weeks. All calf exercises will be what i have used the last couple of months with no significant results. I'd like to see atleast a quarter inch increase bilaterally to signify substantial hypertrophy.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting. My hypothesis would be no real difference between vibrams and sneakers WRT calf size without a change in programs.

Br

elgenyo

elgenyo

Awards
  • Established
I train in vibrams and have noticed increased difficulty and more muscle involvement when performing any leg exercise. The muscles in my toes are also sore after extended runs so I know they are getting a good workout. I love mine.

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
I've been using them but my calves are already huge in comparison to my arms, my arms are 16" and my calves are 17-18 can't remember

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I too am a big fan of vibrams, especially for running on grass/beach. But, with the exception of performing triple extension movements (acceleration sprinting, clean pulls, etc.) in a pair of cushion heeled sneakers vs. vibrams, I don't think any real changes in calf size would occur. You may get some increased strength in the peroneal and post tib muscles...but these are small muscles that aren't subject to a high potential for hypertrophy. Same with the soleus, which is why seated calf raises are a silly exercise.

Br

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would imagine the sore feeling you initially feel with vibrams are most likely due to your body re-adjusting the way it runs and walks. Changing to a fore foot strike would use muscles that you typically don't use in a heel foot strike so it is only reasonably you will feel some slight soreness at first but as far as increasing the size, I highly doubt it. The sore feeling is prolly similar to what one might feel wearing a pair of shape-ups which does nothing extra for your glutes.

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
I would imagine the sore feeling you initially feel with vibrams are most likely due to your body re-adjusting the way it runs and walks. Changing to a fore foot strike would use muscles that you typically don't use in a heel foot strike so it is only reasonably you will feel some slight soreness at first but as far as increasing the size, I highly doubt it. The sore feeling is prolly similar to what one might feel wearing a pair of shape-ups which does nothing extra for your glutes.
Shape-ups make me LOL, they look silly and are worthless IMHO

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Shape-ups make me LOL, they look silly and are worthless IMHO
Exactly! What I am saying is, the idea that wearing vibrams would make your calves grow more is the equivalent someone wearing shape-ups thinking it will tone their glutes more. Just isn't true

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
Exactly! What I am saying is, the idea that wearing vibrams would make your calves grow more is the equivalent someone wearing shape-ups thinking it will tone their glutes more. Just isn't true
Shape-ups grow muscle more than weight lifting /thread

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. My hypothesis would be no real difference between vibrams and sneakers WRT calf size without a change in programs.

Br
You may be right. I want to keep variables as sparse as possible so we can get semi-valid results (considering this is totally arbitrary)
I train in vibrams and have noticed increased difficulty and more muscle involvement when performing any leg exercise. The muscles in my toes are also sore after extended runs so I know they are getting a good workout. I love mine.
I trained in my vibrams for a month or two but never took any objective measurements. I developed some plantar fascitits in my left foot which i attribute to pushing a skateboard to class 5 days a week. I think the vibrams just exaccerbated it
I've been using them but my calves are already huge in comparison to my arms, my arms are 16" and my calves are 17-18 can't remember
lol
I too am a big fan of vibrams, especially for running on grass/beach. But, with the exception of performing triple extension movements (acceleration sprinting, clean pulls, etc.) in a pair of cushion heeled sneakers vs. vibrams, I don't think any real changes in calf size would occur. You may get some increased strength in the peroneal and post tib muscles...but these are small muscles that aren't subject to a high potential for hypertrophy. Same with the soleus, which is why seated calf raises are a silly exercise.
Ill be wearing them throughout the entire session of every workout. So just the fact that im ambulating in them around the gym for 90 minutes 5 days a week while performing lifts, whether its deads, calf raises, bench, or curls, will hopefully impart some noticible result. As far as anterior tib and peroneus, i saw Kai Greene doing a machine specifically designed for weighted dorsiflexion lol I think thats pretty ridiculous.
Br
I work in physical therapy and I actually presented an inservice on vibrams and shape ups to a group of physical therapists. I cited numerous studies that basically showed:
1. Increases the intrinsic muscle strength of the feet

2. Increases lower extremity proprioception- thus increasing balance, by allowing the foot to feel everything under it

3. Decreases impact on ankle, knee, and hip joints by promoting the "shock setting mechanism" (the body's way of altering gait mechanics to decrease amount of force placed on lower extremity joints). Basically this means when you are wearing these shoes and have little cushion under the heel, it causes you to walk moreso on your forefoot to decrease impact. This, in turn places less stress on your knee and hip joints over time.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
How is it "equivalent"? They promote 2 very different gait patterns. You dont think that if youre walking on your forefoot opposed to the traditional heel strike, youre not going to consequently work the plantar flexors more? Shape ups are, according to my research, non-effective in the claimed effects seen in their advertisements.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I think fibrams would actually cause less emphasis on the calves on most exercises except for calf raises. On exercises such as running, squating, deadlifting, and biking, it would cause your foot to stay more flat reducing the amount of flexion in the foot which leads to calf activity.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
I think fibrams would actually cause less emphasis on the calves on most exercises except for calf raises. On exercises such as running, squating, deadlifting, and biking, it would cause your foot to stay more flat reducing the amount of flexion in the foot which leads to calf activity.
That's one theory. The idea, however is that the diminished heel strike when wearing the vibrams results in forefoot landing which would require calf activiation to stabalize the talocrural joint. Sorry for the lack of updates guys. Been busy as ****. My starting meaurements were 15 and a half on the left and 15 and 3 quarters on the right measured 3 times each side flexed at the thickest point. Been wearing the vibrams about a week now for every gym visit.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not quite, with a heeled shoe when running you actually get less gastroc and soleus recruitment. When you strike (be it heel or mid-foot) you're foot is already in a state of planter flexion and cannot take advantage of the length tension relationship. When you run in flat soled sneaker or barefoot, though, the plantar tendon experiences more pre-load (stretch) and you get a stronger contraction.

This is why sprinter and mid distance spikes have virtually no heel. It allows the runner the to land mid foot, get a stretch as the heel taps the track, then a strong rebound out of the calf from the SSC.

Br

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I think I see what your saying. I haven't personally watched someone work out in these things yet to do a evaluation. I am definetely interested to see the results.

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
I workout in Brian's and I gotta say that I doubt I will ever go back to wearing any other shoes. The only odd thing is that for leg days I actually prefer some good old chucks