pecs

  1. New Member
    dirtwarrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    58
    Posts
    384
    Rep Power
    1281
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    31.29%

    pecs


    When doing chest exercise. Press etc my tri and front delts are taking the hit and growing fast while pecs are lagging,
    How would I fix this?

  2. Advanced Member
    HondaV65's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    52
    Posts
    828
    Rep Power
    2267
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    74.16%

    I fix it by lifting heavier.

    My delts BLOW UP something freakish. However - I like that because I still look slim even when bulking ... LOL.

    But ... by "upping" the weight - my delts are forced to nicely ask my pecs to get off their ass and help heft the weight.

    So now - I only lift heavy on chest and for only 4-5 reps per set.

    I used to do an alternate "heavy" / "light" days workout where I did heavy chest on Mon and light on Thurs. I wasn't seeing results so I went to heavy all the way around and I'm pretty happy with the results.
  3. New Member
    dirtwarrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    58
    Posts
    384
    Rep Power
    1281
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    31.29%

    Thanks honda. We are close to the same age and stats. Got any pics?
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Strengthen your rear delts, rhomboids, mid traps - ie: your scapular retractors.

    Keep your shoulder blades squeezed together, use an athletic grip, and don't allow your upper arms to exceed a 45 degree angle with your torso (i.e.: your elbows should never be higher (in relation to your shoulders vs. waist) than your lower chest). Once your shoulder blades pull apart and your elbows begin to flair the side the emphasis is taken off the pecs and the front delts, triceps (and during some really horrible form), serratus/pec minor compensate.

    br
  5. Senior Member
    808rebel's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,079
    Rep Power
    1641
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    54.55%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwarrior View Post
    When doing chest exercise. Press etc my tri and front delts are taking the hit and growing fast while pecs are lagging,
    How would I fix this?
    drop ur elbows. ur engaging ur delt far more when ur elbows are flared out. simple way to understand this, do a pushup with ur elbows very close to ur side, and compare it to doing a pushup with ur elbows flared (making almost a 90degree angle with ur body), you'll feel how much more you engage ur chest when ur elbows are tucked.
    -It's not about what you're doing, it's about how you're doing it.
  6. New Member
    dirtwarrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    58
    Posts
    384
    Rep Power
    1281
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    31.29%

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Strengthen your rear delts, rhomboids, mid traps - ie: your scapular retractors.

    Keep your shoulder blades squeezed together, use an athletic grip, and don't allow your upper arms to exceed a 45 degree angle with your torso (i.e.: your elbows should never be higher (in relation to your shoulders vs. waist) than your lower chest). Once your shoulder blades pull apart and your elbows begin to flair the side the emphasis is taken off the pecs and the front delts, triceps (and during some really horrible form), serratus/pec minor compensate.

    br
    What do you mean about the 45 degree

    Quote Originally Posted by 808rebel View Post
    drop ur elbows. ur engaging ur delt far more when ur elbows are flared out. simple way to understand this, do a pushup with ur elbows very close to ur side, and compare it to doing a pushup with ur elbows flared (making almost a 90degree angle with ur body), you'll feel how much more you engage ur chest when ur elbows are tucked.
    Keep elbows close to body and not out
  7. Senior Member
    808rebel's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,079
    Rep Power
    1641
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    54.55%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwarrior View Post
    Keep elbows close to body and not out
    yep, just gotta find ur comfort zone on elbow placement that allows you to engage ur chest the most...also, ur grip my need to change to accomidate ur new elbow placement, but it shouldnt change a lot.
    -It's not about what you're doing, it's about how you're doing it.
  8. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297849
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    42.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwarrior View Post
    What do you mean about the 45 degree



    Keep elbows close to body and not out
    Similar to what 808rebel was saying

    Stand up. Now pretend you are doing a side lateral raise. When your arms make a 45 degree angle with your torso, that is where you want your elbows to point when pressing. Your elbows should line up at the very bottom of your chest.

    And you may need to narrow your grip a bit

    Br
  9. New Member
    dirtwarrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    58
    Posts
    384
    Rep Power
    1281
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    31.29%

    Thanks got it
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. lwer pecs
    By wesGA87 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 12:04 PM
  2. any ideas for upper pecs?
    By Sinon in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 04:43 AM
  3. IGF, Pecs for powerlifting.
    By Poobah in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2006, 01:52 PM
  4. igf im into pecs
    By Bacaveli in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 01:32 PM
  5. exercises to square your pecs?
    By fiddler in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 09:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in