Pop a cherry, improve recovery?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just came across this article and thought I'd share.

Montmorency Cherry Juice Reduces
Muscle Damage Caused by Intensive
Strength Exercise
JOANNA L. BOWTELL1, DAVID PAUL SUMNERS1, AMY DYER2, PATRICK FOX1, and KATYA N. MILEVA1
1Sports and Exercise Science Research Centre, London South Bank University, London, UNITED KINGDOM;
and 2UK Anti-Doping, Oceanic House, London, UNITED KINGDOM
ABSTRACT
BOWTELL, J. L., D. P. SUMNERS, A. DYER, P. FOX, and K. N. MILEVA. Montmorency Cherry Juice Reduces Muscle Damage
Caused by Intensive Strength Exercise. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 43, No. 8, pp. 1544–1551, 2011. Purpose: Montmorency cherries
contain high levels of polyphenolic compounds including flavonoids and anthocyanins possessing antioxidant and anti-inflammatory
effects. We investigated whether the effects of intensive unilateral leg exercise on oxidative damage and muscle function were attenuated
by consumption of a Montmorency cherry juice concentrate using a crossover experimental design.
Methods: Ten well-trained male
overnight-fasted athletes completed two trials of 10 sets of 10 single-leg knee extensions at 80% one-repetition maximum. Trials were
separated by 2 wk, and alternate legs were used in each trial. Participants consumed each supplement (CherryActive! (CA) or isoenergetic
fruit concentrate (FC)) for 7 d before and 48 h after exercise. Knee extension maximum voluntary contractions (MVC) were
performed before, immediately after, and 24 and 48 h after the damaging exercise. Venous blood samples were collected at each time
point, and serum was analyzed for creatine kinase (CK) activity, nitrotyrosine, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, total antioxidant
capacity, and protein carbonyls (PC). Two-way repeated-measures ANOVA were used for statistical analysis of the data. Results: MVC
force recovery was significantly faster (24 h: CA 90.9% T 4.2% of initial MVC vs FC 84.9% T 3.4% of initial MVC; 48 h: CA 92.9% T
3.3% of initial MVC vs FC 88.5% T 2.9% of initial MVC (mean T SEM); P G 0.05) after CA than FC consumption. Only serum CK and
PC increased significantly from baseline, peaking 24 h after exercise (P G 0.001). The exercise-induced increase in CK activity was not
different between trials. However, both the percentage (24 h after: CA 23.8% T 2.9% vs FC 82.7% T 11.7%; P = 0.013) and absolute
(24 h after: CA 0.31 T 0.03 nmolImgj1 protein vs FC 0.60 T 0.08 nmolImgj1 protein; P = 0.079) increase in PC was lower in CA than
FC trials. Conclusions: Montmorency cherry juice consumption improved the recovery of isometric muscle strength after intensive
exercise perhaps owing to the attenuation of the oxidative damage induced by the damaging exercise
. Key Words: ANTIOXIDANT,
PROTEIN CARBONYL, OXIDATIVE DAMAGE, MUSCLE STRENGTH

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you looked into the research on Tart Cherry for pain? It's pretty extensive.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought this was old? Cherry drinks have started being sold on many bodybuilding websites over the last year or so.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rodja, I have not looked into tart cherry. That is interesting, I'll have to do some research when I'm finished with my current project.
Ironically, there is now and add for tart cherry from swanson health right above the response box.

BDCC - the article was published in 2011; however, I'm not sure if those are sold in the US. I'm the first to admit that I don't follow the commercial supplement market very diligently.

Br

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have definitely read something on montmorency cherry juice and oxidative repair with strength training because I had a bottle of cherry active in my fridge well over a year ago.

Edit: Here is one. I am pretty sure the one I read was on strength training rather than an "indicator" of increased strength but this is one I came across. Is the reason I hadn't heard of research on tart cherries because this is classed as a tart cherry or am I misreading something?

---

Influence of tart cherry juice on indices of recovery following marathon running

Authors: G. Howatson, M. P. McHugh, J. A. Hill, J. Brouner, A. P. Jewell, K. A. Van Someren, R. E. Shave, S. A. Howatson

Article first published online: 21 OCT 2009

Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports

Abstract:

This investigation determined the efficacy of a tart cherry juice in aiding recovery and reducing muscle damage, inflammation and oxidative stress. Twenty recreational Marathon runners assigned to either consumed cherry juice or placebo for 5 days before, the day of and for 48 h following a Marathon run. Markers of muscle damage (creatine kinase, lactate dehydrogenase, muscle soreness and isometric strength), inflammation [interleukin-6 (IL-6), C-reactive protein (CRP) and uric acid], total antioxidant status (TAS) and oxidative stress [thiobarbituric acid reactive species (TBARS) and protein carbonyls] were examined before and following the race. Isometric strength recovered significantly faster (P=0.024) in the cherry juice group. No other damage indices were significantly different. Inflammation was reduced in the cherry juice group (IL-6, P<0.001; CRP, P<0.01; uric acid, P<0.05). TAS was ∼10% greater in the cherry juice than the placebo group for all post-supplementation measures (P<0.05). Protein carbonyls was not different; however, TBARS was lower in the cherry juice than the placebo at 48 h (P<0.05). The cherry juice appears to provide a viable means to aid recovery following strenuous exercise by increasing total antioxidative capacity, reducing inflammation, lipid peroxidation and so aiding in the recovery of muscle function.

Turnitup122

Awards
The title of this, I thought u were talkin about something else lol..

JornT.

Awards
Antioxidants may improve recovery, but there is also evidence suggesting they inhibit training adaptations.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Antioxidants may improve recovery, but there is also evidence suggesting they inhibit training adaptations.
Very true, and timing seems to be the key.

To make it real simple:

Antioxidants before training seem to block the stimulus for adaptation.

Antioxidants after training seem enhance recovery.

Br

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
ive been hearing a lot about tart cherry juice. one of my co workers started taking it this week. supposed to be the ultimate anti oxidant or something to that effect.