DC training with LeanGains

freakdego21

Awards
So been doing leangains for about a month now and just been maintaining weight. Sitting at 5'8 190-192. i love the setup of the diet and the little bit of freedom u get and to manipulate things. Im going to up the cals and start DC training and see what happens. Ive done a blast of DC in the past and now i want to make it my staple routine for a good amount of the winter and see where it can take me. i wana get up to about 205-2010 while remaining around the same Body comp. my plan is to start out at 3600 cals on training days and 2500 on off days and up the cals as needed along the way.

freakdego21

Awards
im doing the 2 way split going M W F. this works well for me cuz i have school TWTh and work as a caddie on the weekends. Here's the routine:
Started monday 8-29-11 Did...
A1
  • Inc. DB:85x9,3,2
Did the fly stretch with 40lbs for 45sec
  • WG upright row:115x12,8,7
followed by the delt stretch for 45 sec
  • Decline smyth: 205x9,5,4
did the over head dumbell stretch for 45 sec with 55lbs
  • Rack Chins: 50x8,5,4
  • Hammer Strength row:275x9,5,3
Did the hang stretch for 45 secs (this kills)
Finished the workout with a rest pause set on the HS ab machine at:70x15,10,6

I loved the workout and the intensity and cant wait to go up in weights next time this workout comes around

freakdego21

Awards
Wednesdays workout:
B1
machine preacher curl: 110x12,6,4 followed by the incline curl stretch for 45 sec with 3olbs
pinwheel curls: 35lbsx20SS. Did a barbell forearm stretch for 45 sec. (these are super tough)
Hack Calf: i like to rest pause this exercise otherwise my feet start to slip. (rest of my calf workouts are SS DC style). Did 340x10,8,5 and i held the last rep at the bottom for a good long stretch.
lying leg curl: 130x 10,6,3 followed by a stiff leg DB stretch for 45 sec
Squats: 325x8, 245x23 followed by the sissy squat stretch.
My legs and calves are dead today and i love it

freakdego21

Awards
Friday workout will consist of...
Dec. HS press 11-15
High Inc smyth press 16-25
Skull crushers16-25
V-bar pulldowns 16-25
Deadlifts 4-8, 10-12

I will be caddying in the morning so i hope it wont effect my performance. i'll probably break the fast around 1 and lift at around 7.

Got home today from class at around 3 and decided to extend the fast a little longer till dinner around 5pm. had moms home made turkey chilly and string beans from the garden. Might go out to dinner a little later with the girlfriend.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
looking good man.
Subbed along

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now this will be interesting to see.... I'll be following.

freakdego21

Awards
thanks guys. so far feeling strong in the gym. i hope it keeps up. just got home, had a plate of grilled calamari and a bun-less bison burger along with sweet potatoe fries at this restaurant. just downed a protein shake and heading to bed. any of you guys who are experienced in DC or leangains I'll take any criticism i can get. thanks

freakdego21

Awards
got my first meal in today at 2. consisted of 8 ounces of chicken breast, some broccoli, some left over turkey chille, and 4 slices of ezekiel toast with some almond butter.
Just got my second meal in, had...8 ounces of 96/4 beef patties, 3 slices of ezekiel toast with a touch of nutella and almond butter, some green beans with salsa and a Balance protein bar.
Cant wait to go workout. i think im going to get chipotle for a postworout meal. get some double meat action. take that home and make a shake to go along with that...mmmm

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
cool man.

i've been blasting and crusing on DC for a while now. I love it.

freakdego21

Awards
Great to hear. what have your results been like?

freakdego21

Awards
So got to the gym at around 7. Went decently well. Heres the stats...
Dec. Hammer Strength: 365x9,4,3=16 forgot to do the fly stretch so did after my shoulder lift which was...
High Inc. Smyth press: 185x8,3,3=14 this was a little lower than i wanted so need to keep this weight the same and get the reps up. Did the fly stretch with 45's for 50 sec. next was...
Skulls: 100x11,7,5=23 followed by the overhead DB stretch with a 55 for 50 secs
V-bar pulldown: 162.5x 10,5,4. I should of used my straps here cuz this killed my grip and i think it affected my deads.
Deadlift: 415x6, 385x10 and I then did the hang stretch for 50 sec.
Will use straps next time for sure, at least on the pulldowns.
Postworkout meal was a china buffet for 9 bucks. had a ton of sushi and chicken and a little bit of sherbet :icon16:. came home and had a 50g of protein shake. now im about to head to bed because i have to get up early in the morning for work.
Also, ordered some supps that im going to throw in the mix. got me some litup, some rpm, some neovar and some lean xtreme. :banana:im going to kill it!(haha, i hope)

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
dc is the best. dont know if ill ever be able to do it again though. have to wait and see how shoulder turns out. im just past the 2 month mark post surgery

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah i havent really seen a weight difference in means of size, but strength gains are INSANE on DC training. no joke, DC is super legit

freakdego21

Awards
yea, hoping for gains in both department. So its sunday and my body is sore as sh**. i hope im recovered for tomorrow's B2 workout. i have to make sure i get some good sleep tonite

freakdego21

Awards
Just got back from lifting and got done eating. went to the gym straight after work today and had to go to different gym because my closed at one today. got a meal in a work at work while caddying of 3 slices of ezekiel toast, carrots, 8 ounces of chicken, some almonds, and a protein bar. macro were about: 80c, 95p, 22fat. took some Lit up after work and got to the gym at about 1. did my B2 workout. consisted of...
BB curl: 95x12, 6,4
cable rvrs curl:25x15
Machine Leg press calf:175x12
leg press: 18 platesx8, 14platesx25
Stiff leg DBDL: 95x8, 95x12
Didnt like this gym and especially the leg press machine. took me a while to figure out how many plates to get on there and did a ton of warm sets.
Got home and had 140g of protein, 165g of carbs and 25g of fat

freakdego21

Awards
So its Wednesday and I just did my A3 workout. Went well, did...
Slight inc. smyth: 215x9,3,3=15
DB press: 65x9, 5,4=18
Dips: BW+40x9,4,3=16
Lat pulldown: 150x9,5,3=17
Rack dead + shrug: 335x8, 315x14. This is pretty much a rack dead lift but as im coming up I throw in a shrugging motion and squeeze for a second then go down. next time im just going to do my heavy set as a normal rack dead and do the lighter set as described.
Got home and had giant turkey legs with potatoes and rice cakes and a shake with bananas and other goodies. Macros were about: 145p, 28f, 200c. Feeling good and cant wait to eat again

AndrewNico

AndrewNico

Awards
  • Established
sub'd. going to start DC training myself come tomorrow.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sub'd. going to start DC training myself come tomorrow.
Subbed along too. DC looks interesting. If I get a dedicated spotter to spot me at home I might give it a go on my next lean bulk.

freakdego21

Awards
great to hear. post your template if u want

freakdego21

Awards
spotter isnt really necessary. the only exercise i feel really needs it is overhead DB press, especially on that 3rd RP. Other than that its not to bad

freakdego21

Awards
today is an off day from the gym, but at school today in one of my classes they made us do a fitness assessment test which was pushups, situps and a two mile run. havnt ran two miles in a while and i could feel it a little after words. got home a 3pm and had 7 eggs, peas, some broccoli, 3 slices of ezekiel toast and a shake. macro's were 110p, 75c, 35f. Probably going to have salmon for dinner tonight so cant wait for that. also cant wait for B3 tomorrow!

freakdego21

Awards
Stoked today because my supps came. Going to be dosing lean xtreme first thing in the a.m. and then 5 hours later. hoping this will help keep me lean and help with cortisol levels due to school and not eating in the morning. Ill be using neovar with my pre and post workout meal. then ill be taking 2 rpm's with one scoop of lit up. cant wait to test this out.
Broke the fast today with a hug meal at around 130. had 5 eggs, 3 egg whites, 3 pancakes, 5 turkey sausage patties, banana, some spinach some mushrooms and an English muffin. washed it down with a small shake. it was a treat for me because i usually don't eat wheat or flours. just got done eating my second meal of a bowl of grits, green beans, some peanut butter and 10oz of chicken. going to hit the gym in a couple of hours. cant wait:yup:

freakdego21

Awards
B3 went like this:
Seated DB curl:35'sx13,7,6
One arm Hammer Preacher Curl:25x17
Seated calf:50x11
Sumo press: 720x20
Front Squat:225x8
Smyth Squat(feet are far forward and feels like a hack squat):225x25
I felt like I couldnt went harder with all the leg exercises. lower back was fatiguing on the sqauts though and i was being a bitc*. also i need to go way heavier next time.
Weekend went well and ate pretty good.
Cant wait for tomorrow to do my A1 again and to move up in weights. gotta beat that log book!

freakdego21

Awards
Started week 3 today and it was my A1 workout. Was a little disappointed today because the weights didnt really move up too much in some of my exercises. Here are the stats:
Inc. DB press: 95'sx7,3,1 with a static and slow negative
WG upright Row:135x12,8,7(This moved up quite a bit but the form could be stricter)
Dec. smtyh Close Grip: 225x9,4,3
Rack chins: 55x9,4,4
Hammer Strength row:295x9,3,4 this was really hard for some reason and i felt weak on this movement
about to go eat my meal. I Have to start eating more i think.

AndrewNico

AndrewNico

Awards
  • Established
if weights dont move up . . . drop the exercise.

sorry to hear about that bro.

freakdego21

Awards
It wasnt that they didnt move up. They all moved up, some just more than other. I was disappointed with the inc. DB press especially. I guess i just had higher expectations for my numbers.

freakdego21

Awards
Jus ate my post workout meal. Had 215g of carbs, 150g of protein and 30g of fat. Anyone who does lean gains, what are your usual macros post workout. This seems kind of like a lot. but i saw a few guys doing similar meals while on this diet. Anybody have any thoughts?

AndrewNico

AndrewNico

Awards
  • Established
oh, well never mind then lol

progress is progress my friend.

freakdego21

Awards
today is an off day. fasted till 330pm and i made my self some gluten free pancakes along with some greek yogur, peanut butter and protein. about 100g protein, 100g carbs and 25g fat. guna have another meal in a little bit and go to the gym and do some cardio. think im going to do the stationary bike and use some good resistance. Cant wait to lift tomorrow.

AndrewNico

AndrewNico

Awards
  • Established
Aye, we're a day apart. I ddi bike yesterday for 30min . . . and today was legs/bis/forearms. almost passed out during my widowmaker set of front squats lol.

freakdego21

Awards
Aye, we're a day apart. I ddi bike yesterday for 30min . . . and today was legs/bis/forearms. almost passed out during my widowmaker set of front squats lol.
Good stuff man. You gave me a ton of motivation for my widowmaker lol. I had a pretty good workout...
B1:
Mach Curl: 110x13,6,4 + partials. This was the only thing i was kinda shaky on. only increased by a rep and partials
Pinwheels:40'sx20. used some body english once i got to about 15
Hack calf: 360x11,8,5
Seated leg curl: 170x10,6,4 + 3 partials. did these with a super slow neg. fricken killed
Squat: 365x6, WM: 275x21. like i said, Andrew gave me a ton of motivation for this. i was literally a little dizzy after words.
Weighed myself today and i was 194 so im up 2.

AndrewNico

AndrewNico

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff man. You gave me a ton of motivation for my widowmaker lol. I had a pretty good workout...
B1:
Mach Curl: 110x13,6,4 + partials. This was the only thing i was kinda shaky on. only increased by a rep and partials
Pinwheels:40'sx20. used some body english once i got to about 15
Hack calf: 360x11,8,5
Seated leg curl: 170x10,6,4 + 3 partials. did these with a super slow neg. fricken killed
Squat: 365x6, WM: 275x21. like i said, Andrew gave me a ton of motivation for this. i was literally a little dizzy after words.
Weighed myself today and i was 194 so im up 2.
nice man. lol your widowmaker weight was what I used when I did rest pauses two weeks ago (yeah I know, no rest pauses for squats) for 8/3/2.

awesome work regardless though

Also, what resistance do you usually do on the bike?
eh, it was a cheapo bike so Im not sure how well resistance will translate. it said I burned 150 cals though (was really low intensity, just used to get my heart rate up), if that means anything. it was low though

freakdego21

Awards
Thanks man. yea just wondering because i did the bike yesterday too and had it at 11 resistance for 20 min. legs were starting to burn, heart rate was at about 120 the whole time. trying to gauge if i should lower the resistance or maybe increase it.
How are u liking DC so far?
Is this your First Blast?
Do you follow the DC diet or your own?

AndrewNico

AndrewNico

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man. yea just wondering because i did the bike yesterday too and had it at 11 resistance for 20 min. legs were starting to burn, heart rate was at about 120 the whole time. trying to gauge if i should lower the resistance or maybe increase it.
How are u liking DC so far?
Is this your First Blast?
Do you follow the DC diet or your own?
Loving it so far
first time doing it, so yeah 1st blast
my own. I hold about 3k on off/cardio days and workout days I might bump up to 3.5k. Regardless, protein is always 200g, fat is 70-80g. carbs are the only thing I change around on workout days (I add more, obviously)

Here's the journal Im keeping on bb.com if anyone's curious.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137978103

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont follow exactly how DC calls, but i do follow the backbone of DC. i like what i have created

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It wasnt that they didnt move up. They all moved up, some just more than other. I was disappointed with the inc. DB press especially. I guess i just had higher expectations for my numbers.
You wanna do any DB pressing movements(bench, shoulder press, etc, etc) in the 20-30RP range. It is going to be very hard to progress in that rep range, with DB's.

freakdego21

Awards
\
You wanna do any DB pressing movements(bench, shoulder press, etc, etc) in the 20-30RP range. It is going to be very hard to progress in that rep range, with DB's.
Yea i think thats a good call and am going to try and do that. Im going to keep using 95's on the inc DB until i get to the middle of that rep range. I just wanted to get those hundreds in my hands so bad lol

freakdego21

Awards
Did my workout fasted this morning and it went pretty well. A2:
Dec. Hammer strength: 385x9,3,3
High Inc. Smyth press:185x10,4,2
Skulls: 110x10, 5,4
V-Bar pulldown: 175x10,5,4
Rack DL: 425x8
Rack DL + shrug: 325x14

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
\
Yea i think thats a good call and am going to try and do that. Im going to keep using 95's on the inc DB until i get to the middle of that rep range. I just wanted to get those hundreds in my hands so bad lol
I think you are totally missing my point.

You need to bump the rep range for DB movements. You don't want to work up from the 11rp range, believe me.

Drop down to 75-80's and come in at the top of the rep range(ie 30rp), working down over time(ie adding weight). Or drop to 85's, and come in around 20RP, and work up to 30, then bump to 90(will drop your reps) work to 30, bump to 95s, etc, etc.

There is a reason Dante recommends this rep range for DB movements.

AndrewNico

AndrewNico

Awards
  • Established
are we talking straight set or rp?

I dont know if I could do a rp with db's . . . takes a lot out of me to load them

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
are we talking straight set or rp?

I dont know if I could do a rp with db's . . . takes a lot out of me to load them
RP=Rest pause. 20-30 is the TOTAL number of reps for all 3 sets.

And what you are saying there, is one of the main reasons for the higher rep range on DB movements. If you are working in the 11RP range, you might not even be able to get the last set up into place, let alone make it worth while.

If you lighten the weight(ie. increase the total reps), this will alleviate the problem.

AndrewNico

AndrewNico

Awards
  • Established
ah my bad, I missed all the RP's in your post, lol

yeah I get what you're saying.

freakdego21

Awards
Hey, sorry i havnt posted in a while, been super busy with school. so as today im no longer doing lean gains. i feel the diet made me fat because meals were jus too big and i was eating alot of "cheat foods" that i dont normally eat. So im back eating 6 meals a day following DC principles.

freakdego21

Awards
MOnday's B2 went like this:
BB curl: 105x12,6,4
One arm reverse cable curl:20x18
stand calf:90x11
leg press:920x7, 740x17
DB SLDL: 100x8, 100x11

freakdego21

Awards
Had a really good workout today. focus was really good, contractions were strong and weights went up...
A3:
Inc. Smyth: 225x9, 3,3 + static with slow neg
DB shoulder Press:70x10, 4,3
Dips: 40x11,5,3
pulldown: 162.5x10, 5,4+ partials
Deads: 425x6, 385x11

AndrewNico

AndrewNico

Awards
  • Established
lookin good in here. dc is treating me very well also. did legs/bis/forearms today and killed my 8 rep squat from last sequence by 15lbs, and my widowmaker by 20lbs.

legs were shaking the rest of the workout . . . feelsgodlike.